trapped by full house vs str8

W

wackyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok heres the setup i got 5k in chips on the button everyone folds to me. i got KQ suited .I double the BB to 400 chips
sb folds bb calls
flop comes up
JJT
I test the waters with 200 chip bet he calls
turn is 7 board rainbows
I think he has the set but i got an oped ended str8 draw so i bet 400 thinking hed fold if he didnt have the set or id at least have a cheap shot at the str
he calls
rvr is A
i get the A high str

lacking the focus i should have had to think about his hand before i make a bet. i for some unknown reason say all in which was retarded on more than 1 level. if he had just the set he could have been scared off by the bet (the pot only had 2100 in it and i more than matched it) but more importantly I should have figured what would a guy call the preflop raise with in addition to the J. duh JT,JQ,JK or JA posibly JJ but id have reraised preflop with those head to head so i didnt think he had the quads however 2 of those 4 were str8 killers due to the board.

so he calls proptly and shows JT full house.

aside form the final dumbass bet what could i have done different ?

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok heres the setup i got 5k in chips on the button everyone folds to me. i got KQ suited .I double the BB to 400 chips
sb folds bb calls
flop comes up
JJT
I test the waters with 200 chip bet he calls
turn is 7 board rainbows
I think he has the set but i got an oped ended str8 draw so i bet 400 thinking hed fold if he didnt have the set or id at least have a cheap shot at the str
he calls
rvr is A
i get the A high str

lacking the focus i should have had to think about his hand before i make a bet. i for some unknown reason say all in which was retarded on more than 1 level. if he had just the set he could have been scared off by the bet (the pot only had 2100 in it and i more than matched it) but more importantly I should have figured what would a guy call the preflop raise with in addition to the J. duh JT,JQ,JK or JA posibly JJ but id have reraised preflop with those head to head so i didnt think he had the quads however 2 of those 4 were str8 killers due to the board. aside form the final dumbass bet what could i have done different ?

ok for starters he dosent have a set because a set is when you hold pocket pair and hand and one is on board, you thought he might have trips.

preflop doubling the big blind is a pretty bad play, after that I need stack sizes and blind levels and stuff like that to really know what should have been done.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The two biggest mistakes I see are the preflop minraise, and your postflop bets.

I'm not going to go into detail with minraises, but this thread more than explains why it's a bad play in general: https://www.cardschat.com/f49/stop-minraising-71694/?highlight=stop+minraising

Postflop, a minbet accomplishes very little. We get very little info, and very little fold equity. Bet about half the pot (or just check behind with the straight draw), and take it from there.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise more PF. After the flop bet, I check it down. And as Chuck said, bet more on the flop.

W

wackyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok for starters he dosent have a set because a set is when you hold pocket pair and hand and one is on board, you thought he might have trips.

preflop doubling the big blind is a pretty bad play, after that I need stack sizes and blind levels and stuff like that to really know what should have been done.

I didnt realize there was a difference between trips and a set.I will make note of that. as far a doubling the bb preflop usually that pushes out the bad hand bb from catching a low flop and winning over your high cards .You gotta remember im on the button here and no ones playing this hand till it gets to me .However lets say i had bet 3x the bb pf then id say hed have folded .So i will also take this into consideration next time im in this type of postion with cards like this as far as stack sizes and blind levels its in the post .

Last edited:
W

wackyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The two biggest mistakes I see are the preflop minraise, and your postflop bets.

I'm not going to go into detail with minraises, but this thread more than explains why it's a bad play in general: https://www.cardschat.com/f49/stop-minraising-71694/?highlight=stop+minraising

Postflop, a minbet accomplishes very little. We get very little info, and very little fold equity. Bet about half the pot (or just check behind with the straight draw), and take it from there.

Yes I believe your right the flop raise didnt tell me anything the pot was at 900 at that point a 450 bet would have been better . I will do that in the future. however with that flop was a bet after the flop still a good move? Sometimes i get better info by checking. then if they bet and i dont believe them i reraise it.

also thanks for the thread .that was good info.

Last edited:
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The word set and trips are interchangable. I play stud and we call 3 of a kind a set or trips in that game and there is no board.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wackyal, with a hand like KQ you shouldnt mind him folding preflop and you only picking up his blinds. 3Xbet it or more everytime.

W

wackyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wackyal, with a hand like KQ you shouldnt mind him folding preflop and you only picking up his blinds. 3Xbet it or more everytime.

yes .your right . I couldnt have played this hand any worse. I was actually embarassed by my play . I however have learned from this and will bet it heavier when in this postion again.Ill consider the chips not loss like chips won with those cards.lol.
funny thing is the last time this happened to me i bet 3x the bb called and i caught a K on the flop as top pair. i bet half the pot and got called . checked the turn he bet half the pot i had to call because i was already valued in. he shows pocket aces and the rvr didnt help me i was out. so the damn KQ hasnt helped me its the hand that either crippled or put me out in 2 of the 4 live tournys ive been in. however the other 2 were money finishes including a 1st place.