Hero raises to 150
* * 1 players fold.
BTN raises to 250
* * 2 players fold.
Hero calls [100]
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: 575
Flop: Q♣ 10♣ 2♥

Whats the best play here, check fold? Bet out 1/2 pot and fold to a shove? Check call, or check raise all in? This is very early in the sng, and villian has been tight, a few hands ago he just limped in after an early limper with AQ suited, most players would raise here.

newfyninja

newfyninja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were me I'd make a feeler bet probaby about 2/3 of the pot. I'd want to know where I stood with this hand. If he shoves you have to be willing to fold. I've never been a big fan of KQ simply for this reason.

Kaedyn2007

Kaedyn2007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hes on a flush draw
its actually obvious
well to me it is
the correct option is to call
wait to see if ur hand improves
one of them is on a flush draw the other is with a pair
on the next street if ur hand improves bet
if not check and fold
i would not have checked this flop from early position
u have to be aggressive
i would have put out pot sized bet and then let them raise u

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have never called the raise if you did not plan on getting aggressive with one of the best flops you could get. There are several things to consider:

(1) Only AA is a realistic hand to have you totally dominated (even pre-flop). You hold a KQ, so KK and QQ can be taken out of realistic hand ranges. AK and AQ are potential hands that could crush you, but since you hit a Q, AK is no longer a realistic threat.

(2) He min-raised which smells of AA, especially on the button. He doesn't want you to drop out of the pot. However, he may also be trying to reinforce position, wanting to be last to act. If he just calls then SB and BB may call and you are still considered the raiser. So this opens up the hand ranges considerably.

(3) Why would you check after hitting the flop? First, he could check behind and you give him a free chance to improve (possibly hitting a set, straight, two pair, or flush). What do you do if you check and he shoves all-in (not likely since he was weak with AQ)?

(4) If he limped with AQ, he probably did not min re-raise with TT or 22. At this point you are really only in trouble if he happens to hold AQ or AA.

(5) Tight players usually don't bluff. So if you shove post flop you are only getting called if you are beat. Tight players usually don't call if they missed the flop and if he limped with AQ he is probably not all that aggressive.

Given all of the above, I bet just over 1/2 the pot so around 400 (put a little pressure given his stack is 2020) and fold to any pressure.

Last edited:
D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just read newfyninja's reply and basically that is the short version...bet 2/3 the pot and fold to a raise.

I have no idea what Kaedyn is talking about...a hand in another life possibly :)

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
based on the limited info provided, i would go broke with this hand.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you play the hand in the first place? I say fold pre flop.

I'd rather play 72 from the button than KQo in middle position.

Last edited:
fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is hes AK suited.

The raise wasnt for me high enough for him to hold AA. If he had AA I would expect him to at least double your bet. Knowing you bet 150 he would expect you to call him thus increasing the pot nicely.

He then puts in a nice feeler bet to see if you have hit anything. Because you called he knows you have something and in all likelihood he will have sussed you've hit the Q but you havent hit a set. If you'd hit a set you'd have gone straight over the top of his bet and rest assured I think he would have folded.

I would personally now put in a pot sized bet. I suspect he would at best call still hoping for the flush draw but realistically I think he could well fold.

If however he goes over the top and raises you then I am talking utter bollocks, and you throw your cards in the muck ASAP..

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!

Why are we even mentioning flushdraws? He has a flushdraw, what, one time out of 20 on this flop? If that? He has a strong draw less than 10% of the time. If we spend less time focusing on a monster we think may be under the bed (10% of the time) and instead look at the monster standing squarely in front of us (90% of the time), we'll fare better.

Be worried about big pairs and sets. Ask yourself what hands will pay you off, and which of those hands you beat. And everybody stop peeing their pants every time there's two to a flush on the board.

/FP

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(5) Tight players usually don't bluff. So if you shove post flop you are only getting called if you are beat. Tight players usually don't call if they missed the flop and if he limped with AQ he is probably not all that aggressive.

Tight players bluff a lot more than you might think. Don't confuse "tight" with "weak".

As for this hand I'd have probably chucked it preflop. The min raise reeks of suspicion as he knows you're not going to fold to it. Lots of hands he does this with AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQ have you well and truly beaten preflop. I don't mind raising with KQ, as you did, but I'm always very wary playing it after a raise.

On this flop I'd probably throw out 400ish to find out where you stand. A little more than half the pot so it doesn't look like a weak cbet/steal. If villian raised pf with an underpair this'll be enough to take the pot. If he calls/raises then I'd go into check/fold mode unless the turn improved my hand.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!

Why are we even mentioning flushdraws? He has a flushdraw, what, one time out of 20 on this flop? If that? He has a strong draw less than 10% of the time. If we spend less time focusing on a monster we think may be under the bed (10% of the time) and instead look at the monster standing squarely in front of us (90% of the time), we'll fare better.

Be worried about big pairs and sets. Ask yourself what hands will pay you off, and which of those hands you beat. And everybody stop peeing their pants every time there's two to a flush on the board.

/FP

But there are monsters under the bed Fred!:eek:

Pertinent info at this point;
-Single table sng, plays faster than MTT.
-Early in this sng, we all know how some/many like to hit fast or go home.
-Villains reraise says he is either willing to establish a bullyment, or (in his mind) punish you here. I have seen it many time where some players react strong to raises when limping will do fine. His AQ limp suggest he may be of that group. This is obviously a quick read at a new table type read and is fairly unreliable, but its all we might have.
-You've hit the flop awfully nicely.
-There is a potential flush draw, straight draw, and a Doyle. God forbid this guy just watched Doyle's early runs:eek:
-Any 'feeler' type bet with a reply will leave us uncomfortably shortstacked.

-Since you raised PF, and are first to act, and really don't want to see any more cards, I would be betting very large here, like probably all-in. I would want to minimize the possibility of him playing back at me. So much so, in this situation, that I'm going for glory.

Shove it.:D

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So u call with KQo OOP, get the best possible flop, and are then thinking of check/folding? UMMMMMMMMMM.....

Lead out 2/3 pot or w/e you normally bet. There are plenty of hands he could be 3 betting here even if he is tight that you beat. In fact, the fact that he is tight probably rules out AQ (especially if you said he limped it earlier...why would he 3 bet it now) so you are probably looking at AK, 99+, of which QQ is highly unlikely, KK is not likely and if it is AA well bad luck you go broke. TT is the only other reasonable hand he'll probably have that has you beat.

If he does shove tho pretty hard decision...i'd be more scared about him flat calling tbh, because he's probably more inclined to slow play a big hand. Problem is that your stack is pretty small so even betting 300 has you moreorless pot committed (not a bad thing on a flop like this).

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre-flop, all-in on the flop.

Go go go!

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you play the hand in the first place? I say fold pre flop.

I'd rather play 72 from the button than KQo in middle position.

folded to him next to the CO with KQ, not great but not bad either. even after the tiny reraise, you're getting about 5to1 on your money.