Tournament quiz

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're in the early stages of a S&G so you haven't yet had a chance to know your opponents, which is typical in tourneys unless you know them from past experiences. You make a standard (3xBB) raise UTG. The action folds to a player in LP, who reraises all-in. Button and blinds fold, action is back to you. Of the following hands, which ones (if any) would you call and which (if any) would you fold to his all-in reraise?

1) QQ
2) JJ
3) TT
4) 99
5) AK

Note: I'm aware that some of you might not raise UTG with some of those hands, but lets just assume, in this quiz, that you did. This assumption can be made since the tourney is in the early stages where blinds are not that big, so your initial raise does not make you pot committed. Therefore, the decision to call or fold has to be made based on other factors, not because you already put some chips in the pot. Also, if you wish, you can add a comment on each hand explaining why you decided to call or fold, if not, a simple call or fold is fine.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you said to assume the raise, but I've put what I would do intially.

1) QQ
Call (AA and KK are the least likely holdings of his range, AK or underpair a most likely)

2) JJ
Fold
Probably limp preflop (I would only do this early in a SnG) - AK is very likely as is an underpair, I just don't like calling all ins with JJ (or AQ for that matter). Too many ways to lose.

3) TT
Fold (would limp preflop utg early in SnG)

4) 99
Fold (would limp preflop early in SnG)

5) AK
Call - reluctantly though, this is the least appealing.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't this from Harrington Volume 3?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold all pairs but QQ+, probably since, as Irexes says, AA and KK are a very unlikely part of the range, because LP wants to get value and stacks are currently pretty deep in comparison with the blinds.

AK is a tough one, because although a weaker A is unlikely, I have seen AQs and even AJ make this shove. I hate being really really frequently on the lesser end of a coinflip here, when I think I have an edge against the field, so I might drop AK unless I sharkscope the guy and see he's a total fish.

K

ketz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably fold them all. I am a very, very tight player early in a SNG and if I had no read on any of my opponents I would muck them all. Maybe consider QQ for a while and my call sometimes but 70% of the time I would fold.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I'd fold them all except maybe for QQ. AK would be just a tough call without knowing opponent, even if there is a good chance reraiser has AQ or AJ. There is the risk of laying down the better hand here, but I just think its not worth it since its the beginning and you certainly will have better opportunities later.

onebourbon

onebourbon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you I would fold them all...he probably saw you walk in the door before you sat down and baited his hook with a fresh worm and put you on any one of the 5 hands you mentioned then wanted to see you squirm at his allin raise while he's holding AA.
Cut your losses short and make it up next later. As you said it's early in the game and you only lost 3XBB anyway...why lose it all? :hmmmm:

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pkt QQs

When it's that early, i don't usually get that aggressive or let some1 put me to the test.....so in saying that, the only hand i would possibly call w/ in that situation is the pkt QQs. I hate pkt JJs & they always lose, A K is way to overrated & always loses & the other 2 hands are simply not big enough pkt pairs for me to call w/ in that situation. The only hand i would call w/ is the pkt QQs.

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take QQ because it is the made hand comparing to AK, which is trying to hit an A or a K.

cjmik

cjmik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call that all in w/QQ JJ or TT and AK 80% of the time but only suited.(online) :cool:

(live) I would fold em all and stick around fer a few :)

BTW is this a live tourney or online?;)

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to early for me calling all-ins. Most peoples range for pushes are AA KK QQ JJ and AK. A donkey will go beyond that. The only hands I like to call an all-in preflop this early is AA or KK.

In your choices, only one of them (QQ) even has a chance you are ahead against the range I think of. AA and KK have you dominated. QQ is a push. AK a weak favorite. JJ is the only one that will make you smile.

I want my skill to play itself out. You can't do that if you are calling an all-in so early with a hand you are more than likely behind or at best a very slight favorite.

Chemist26

Chemist26

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with titans and the rest that said fold all. 3x blinds early in the SNG aren't worth going up against a better hand or getting sucked out on by an idiot. I would fold and hope he's arrogant and shows, that info is worth more then a possible coin flip double up.

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Whut to do?!

I for one wouldn't raise pre flop that early in the trny....wait to get a feel for the other players. That way, when u run into the Kamakazi all in, u still have your chips WHEN YOU FOLD!!! Either he's got da hand, or willin to go on the draw, but either way, until u have a stack or know your opps...Survival is the name of the game early.

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i had to call with one.. I'd call with QQ, and fold the rest.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold all of them (depending on the stake involved). That early in a tournament i dont mind waiting for a better opportunity to win chips.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call with QQ, fold the rest.

I agree with Irexes that TT and 99 are not raising hands from UTG in the early stages of an SNG.