Too Passive?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In retrospect I guess I should've been more aggressive pre flop, however the villain called over 1/2 of his stack on a draw that had to hit twice...really and then watch...

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
well played,, simply a bad run :(

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If you isolate to like 4BB, he is probably never folding, and then you are out of position with A9 and 25% of your chips already in the middle. That does not sound like a profitable plan, so for me a small isolation raise is not an option here. You could jam over his limp, but with 16BB you are not getting the best risk-reward, and A9 is not exactly crushing even a limping range. When I make such plays, ICMizer usually hates them. So unless he was a total drooler limping like 80% of hands, I do think, just completing is the best line here. Folding would be way to tight.

Flop
With this being a limped pot I prefer to lead out, when I connect with the board. And top pair certainly qualify as connecting. As played the check-jam is fine, although you could also just call and look to play some later streets.

Results
It seems like, you are still very focused on bad beats, which this hand basically is. Even to the point where you dont even realise, how much equity the opponent actually had. He was not calling "on a draw that had to hit twice". He had a gutshot to broadway, which would be the nuts, and he also had a BDFD.

More importantly though poker is not a game of justice. These $1 SnGs on pokerstars can be played with a long term ROI of at least 25%, and that is exactly because, there are people, who will stack off light, like this guy did. If they always lost, they would likely stop playing pretty fast. But because they are occationally rewarded by lady luck, they keep coming back and donating their money to the game a dollar at the time.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Yes. I noticed it in my game too. But I'm working on improving it every time I'm at the tables. I've already noticed a little progress.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is a call or a jam. Depends on the villain on which is best imo. If you know they vpip a lot of pots then I would just go with it here especially if this is a turbo format which I am not sure whether it is or isnt. I agree with fundiver that some raise sizing other than a jam is bad, in fact I think it is worse than bad so calling is fine if you dont want to stick it in.

Flop: I dont think checking is bad as long as you are checking for the correct reasons. We are up against two players here on a dry board besides some gutters so if you check and you feel you almost know villain or villains will bet here then checking with the intention of at least calling if one villain or raising if both get involved then I like it. I also think there is nothing wrong with leading here either, I just know with this flop and the action that has already occurred, Im not going anywhere. As played I like just calling and not jamming over. Jamming isnt bad but it will fold out all the 10x and 6x and given that this was a limped pot all of that crap could be in play. I think I like calling flop and then planning on leading if turn card connects with the board in some way and checking if it a dry card like 3 of hearts. I think villain could be exceptionally wide here not only because they limped pre but just saw two players check to them so they could be just stabbing here.

You jammed and got a ridiculously bad call by villain and they sucked out. It sucks and it happens to me as well but dont make it the focal point of the hand. First, remember all the times you suck out as we as players forget about those hands and remember the ones like these that sting. Secondly, think about the flop action and what you would do with different opponent types. Put your opponents in groups and plan against these Im jamming, against these Im calling... etc. so you are ready for the next time you get in a similar spot. Apparently against villains like this, it appears we should be jamming since they call off weak. Bad luck

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i think,all win flop it's to much for A9.he call you bet,he open from MP him range is more strong than yours, in this hand you do right he is a fish,but againt a good player problabe you will call losing

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you were just unlucky.. not bad play at all. even if you had raised preflop villain might have called you with qj so i dont think you made any mistake in this hand.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the whole problem is not whether you played badly or well... the problem is buy-in, not only do poker rules not work at low limits, but the worst thing is that sometimes there is no logic in the actions of opponents

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is buy-in, not only do poker rules not work at low limits, but the worst thing is that sometimes there is no logic in the actions of opponents
But why is that an issue? Nobody are complaining the 77% of the time they win this hand as the hero, are they? ;)

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But why is that an issue? Nobody are complaining the 77% of the time they win this hand as the hero, are they? ;)
naturally, the mathematical odds do not change depending on the buy-in, I wrote the problem is that many play at such limits without much fear of losing, in this case no one would go all-in with such an expectation if there was not $ 1 but $ 100 at stake

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in this case no one would go all-in with such an expectation if there was not $ 1 but $ 100 at stake
This is generally true, and its exactly why, its much easier to beat $1 SnG rather than $ 100 MTTs. When people make bad calls, we win in the long run, and we just need to live with the occational suckout like in this hand.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is generally true, and its exactly why, its much easier to beat $1 SnG rather than $ 100 MTTs. When people make bad calls, we win in the long run, and we just need to live with the occational suckout like in this hand.
yes, of course, in such cases we will win in larger cases than at high levels, there is nothing to add, many regulars bomb low limits precisely because of this:)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He was expecting for a K for a straight and gave him two Js. Very unfortunate, that you stayed with one pair!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In retrospect I guess I should've been more aggressive pre flop, however the villain called over 1/2 of his stack on a draw that had to hit twice...really and then watch...
I have been spending time on the limp the wrong range type players at lower limits trying to decide if we treat it like a raise or not. This is a good example of that type of spot ---the V GTO line is to raise QJcc then we in SB at this stack depth are supposed to fold A9off not call it based on a GTO UTG range open

If we look at UTG open range charts we see that weak players are limping mostly hands like this that should be raised and they are raising hands that should be folded-not every player but as a pool very close to this-

So that makes me think that we can still use GTO as a guide in a spot like this- It seems like over folding but only because we may not be correctly ranging these limps at this player pool skill level--we may be thinking they are limping more hands that should be folded and if we did then a node lock would be for us to be raising not calling these limps.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
---the V GTO line is to raise QJcc then we in SB at this stack depth are supposed to fold A9off not call it based on a GTO UTG range open
Sure but against a limp we are getting a much better price to complete, than if we had to call even a min-raise. And thats why any remotely playable hand is a complete from SB facing limps, when there is an ante.

Last edited:
Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
how do you check with the top pair on a wood-burning board, you have to place a bet, let your opponent bet and let him win:)

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop
With this being a limped pot I prefer to lead out, when I connect with the board. And top pair certainly qualify as connecting. As played the check-jam is fine, although you could also just call and look to play some later streets.
I do agree with leading most of the time. If you bet first and he then comes over the top you have learned a lot more about his hand then if you check to him and he bets. However, if he will frequently bet if checked to I may play it this way, but it would have to be heads up.