thought he was holding a good hand so i pushed and bamo lol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #11037682179: Tournament #55977416, $3.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/07/20 - 12:02:04 (ET)
Table '55977416 1' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: fleptheking (1200 in chips)
Seat 2: 2money-train (2925 in chips)
Seat 3: Michel1201 (2060 in chips)
Seat 4: 1548 (1370 in chips)
Seat 5: RIZHEN (1445 in chips)
Michel1201: posts small blind 25
1548: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 1548 [4s As]
RIZHEN: folds
fleptheking: raises 100 to 150
2money-train: folds
Michel1201: folds
1548: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [7c 4c Ah]
1548: checks
fleptheking: checks
*** TURN *** [7c 4c Ah] [2s]
1548: bets 1220 and is all-in
fleptheking: calls 1050 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [7c 4c Ah 2s] [Ks]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
1548: shows [4s As] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
fleptheking: shows [Ad Ac] (three of a kind, Aces)
fleptheking collected 2425 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2425 | Rake 0
Board [7c 4c Ah 2s Ks]
Seat 1: fleptheking showed [Ad Ac] and won (2425) with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 2: 2money-train (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Michel1201 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: 1548 (big blind) showed [4s As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Fours
Seat 5: RIZHEN folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars Game #11037682179: Tournament #55977416, $3.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2007/07/20 - 12:02:04 (ET)
Table '55977416 1' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: fleptheking (1200 in chips)
Seat 2: 2money-train (2925 in chips)
Seat 3: Michel1201 (2060 in chips)
Seat 4: 1548 (1370 in chips)
Seat 5: RIZHEN (1445 in chips)
Michel1201: posts small blind 25
1548: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 1548 [4s As]
RIZHEN: folds
fleptheking: raises 100 to 150 (EP raise=Better ace than yours)
2money-train: folds
Michel1201: folds
1548: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [7c 4c Ah]
1548: checks (I would've bet here)
fleptheking: checks
*** TURN *** [7c 4c Ah] 2♠
1548: bets 1220 and is all-in
fleptheking: calls 1050 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [7c 4c Ah 2s] K♠
*** SHOW DOWN ***
1548: shows [4s As] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
fleptheking: shows [Ad Ac] (three of a kind, Aces)
fleptheking collected 2425 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2425 | Rake 0
Board [7c 4c Ah 2s Ks]
Seat 1: fleptheking showed [Ad Ac] and won (2425) with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 2: 2money-train (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Michel1201 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: 1548 (big blind) showed [4s As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Fours
Seat 5: RIZHEN folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Well, I think everyone who will respond to this thread would fold PF. You didn't and you got trapped :-\

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think your title says it all.

tonymaclennan

tonymaclennan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think your title says it all.

^^ ye, why push if you thought this?

Well, I think everyone who will respond to this thread would fold PF. You didn't and you got trapped :-\

I wouldn't say he was trapped though because its not like he had a wrong read on him and trapped him in to putting his chips in - he made a donks move knowing he was beat!

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to discuss his PF decision to call the raise. What does everyone think about it w/o being results oriented? You have A4s in the BB, table is 5-handed. There is a standard 3BB raise from the CO. Do you normally call this raise? If you don't what is your minimum range for calling a standard raise when you're in the BB (being in the BB you're closing action) on a 5-handed table?

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I am making this call in this particular situation, if the cards were off suit and the raiser was tight, which he probably was because you knew he had a hand than I'd fold.

To a standard 3bb raise and im in the bb I will normally call, especially if my stack can take it and the player is loose, anything more than that amount your options are most likely fold or reraise, I'd only call with a premium like aces or kings to a bigger raise if its only gonna be one on one heads up.

Thing is, I don't think there is anything wrong with losing your stack on this play, but if you actually thought his hand was GOOD, why bet so much in the first place? I think you probably put him on ak or aq

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never make this call PF. If I think he's on a steal - I re-raise, if I think he's ahead - I fold.
Calling sucks.

S

shark vs fish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shorthanded game fine to play A4 preflop, maybe not reraise, but limp in 5-handed game isn't wrong.

On flop 2-pair? Bet out small. Anyone that has a hand, or doesn't have a hand, will call, but could give you info. On turn with straight draw, bet out again a little bigger. Fold to huge reraise, but most likely villain calls(which means you play careful on river), or small reraise which you could fold or consider calling but be extra careful on river.

You push... only hand that calls = the NUTS.

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF call I can understand, but checking the flop when you hit perfect? (or at least you think so) I just dont understand. I bet here, if he calls or raises then it gets tough, but checking just makes no sense, dont give him a free card.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Change the title to "I was screwed the whole time"

Last edited:
joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shorthanded game fine to play A4 preflop, maybe not reraise, but limp in 5-handed game isn't wrong.

On flop 2-pair? Bet out small. Anyone that has a hand, or doesn't have a hand, will call, but could give you info. On turn with straight draw, bet out again a little bigger. Fold to huge reraise, but most likely villain calls(which means you play careful on river), or small reraise which you could fold or consider calling but be extra careful on river.

You push... only hand that calls = the NUTS.

hindsight is 20/20. dont include results. while i disagree with the push, if you feel you can outplay him postflop i dont dislike the pf call too much.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really sort of depends on the read on villain. I might call that raise early levels half the time, again, read dependent. Also stack dependent. With a bigger stack the call would seem more reasonable, but with your stack going in, it gets real questionable. Villain doesn't look like he has played a whole lot of hands, but that is a guess based completely on his stack going in.

It would be a much easier call later in the tournament (with a proportional stack) once the rhythm of the tourney, and the table are better known.

Z

zxcvbnm123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would lead flop and hope he has aj,aq, ak here and get it in on the flop. The turn push is not that good since you might let him fold out aj,aq. just led flop.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1548 you vanished and took $25 from me! That's pretty bad manners. You could of at least told me, hey transfer me $25 and I won't pay you back. I would of felt better about it. Oh well, no more loaning to people besides friends.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1548 you vanished and took $25 from me! That's pretty bad manners. You could of at least told me, hey transfer me $25 and I won't pay you back. I would of felt better about it. Oh well, no more loaning to people besides friends.

Really? Well sorry to hear that dude.

In general though you shouldn't trust newbies, even if I realize it was only $25 and one tends to think that people wouldn't run away for such a miserable amount :eek: . I guess the $25 was what he wanted from this forum all along. I hope you're the only one he got it from, since he probably tried to take it from more than one member, I'm guessing.

I'm quite sure they can't do anything about it, but if I were you I'd send an e-mail to PS just to let them know. Also, make sure the mods here know about it too, send a PM to at least one of them so perhaps they can ban him before he steals from others, cause you can certainly be sure that they don't appreciate people like him using the forum to scam members. How long has this been?

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe people are criticising the preflop play here, A4s is not good enough to reraise from the big blind, but i think it is an absolute sin not to call this raise at these blind levels, with these stack sizes. A hand like Axs can quite easily flop the nuts, or a strong draw to the nuts.
I also don't see any other way to play post flop- top and bottom pair can be a vulnerable hand so its best not to slow play it, and what would people say if he had had 44 or 77, would he have been told to fold because villian obviously had AA, no of course not, with that flop the only hands i may be scared of are A7 (6 combinations) and 77 (3 combinations), as these are the most likely holdings which could beat us, as there is only one possible combination of AA and 44.
And there are plenty of hands and people who will pay us off with a worse hand when we do shove- i think AK, AQ, AJ, 74 (unlike i know)- even KK mayget annoyed and call- i realise that we are not beating all these hands on the river- but i feel OP played the hand the way it should be played- and i go broke here 100% of the time.
shandy

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe people are criticising the preflop play here, A4s is not good enough to reraise from the big blind, but i think it is an absolute sin not to call this raise at these blind levels, with these stack sizes. A hand like Axs can quite easily flop the nuts, or a strong draw to the nuts.

I dont even know where to start with this post, there are soooooo many things wrong with it that it is just horrible.

ok edited the post this is the most incorrect information I have read in weeks. Preflop A4 is very very very very very very very unlikley to flop the nuts. and it is dominated most of the time preflop which is why you do not cold call with it preflop. If you do alot which im guessing by this post then you have a HUGE hole in your game that if you dont plug fast you will end up bleeding chips away.

re-raise to see where you stand or fold simple as that dont ever cold call this.

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally disagree, okay you may not flop the nuts very often, but when you do, you know about it, say the flop comes 3 spades, it is the nuts, yes granted someone could have a set and fill or get quads- but on the flop u have the nuts.
And seriously i think if u are giving your blind away this easily then it is you that has the hole in their game not I.
Also reraising is disgusting, due to the fact that if u flop the nuts you know about it- and any quality player will cold call with AA

Last edited:
S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also another reason raising is disgusting is the fact that most hands are either going to reraise or call at this level- few will fold- so a reraise will really hurt because you can actually flop the nuts- and yes 23o can flop the nuts with 222, or 333 flop but i tell u that it is a hell of a lot less likely than 3 spades, or even AA4. so seriously please explain how this is a fold preflop

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also another reason raising is disgusting is the fact that most hands are either going to reraise or call at this level- few will fold- so a reraise will really hurt because you can actually flop the nuts- and yes 23o can flop the nuts with 222, or 333 flop but i tell u that it is a hell of a lot less likely than 3 spades, or even AA4. so seriously please explain how this is a fold preflop

you know the odds of you flopping the flush are? go research it 1st then post because it is way unlikely what is more likely is you flopping 2 to flush and then not being able to get away from the hand and going bust.

defending your blind most of the time means to re-raise not cold calling with weak ace hands. Cold calling out of position with weak ace always bad.

and why are you so interested in postflop here and not preflop? you post your post in any pro forum they will laugh at you for days while they search out your name to sit with you.

here I will make it easy for you

With 2 suited cards, the probability of:

• Flopping a flush - 118/1
• Flopping a flush draw - 8.1/1
• Flopping a backdoor flush draw (3 flush cards) - 1.4/1
• Making a flush by the river - 15/1

so you are going to call on a 118/1 shot? good luck to you sir

run this hand 118 times and I bet you that you will come out negative chips which means by simple logic that this is bad call.

Last edited:
stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will even do the math for you

100x 117= 11,700 (this is your call preflop) these are the chips you lose making this call.

we stack him once for 1,200

11,700 - 1,200 = 10,500 in lost chips

and lets not even go into the times when we flop the flush draw and lose. :rolleyes:

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah dam right i am still calling- a flush is not the only nuts- and it is definately not the only hand which i can double up on- 2 pair, full house- loads of different hands i can make- and who will put me on A4- not u sir- so when the flop comes a47- ak, aq, aj are paying me off as well

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah dam right i am still calling- a flush is not the only nuts- and it is definately not the only hand which i can double up on- 2 pair, full house- loads of different hands i can make- and who will put me on A4- not u sir- so when the flop comes a47- ak, aq, aj are paying me off as well

and the flop can also come down AK4, AQ4 and you will lose a ton, hell if you are bad enough to call with A4 preflop you are bad enough to stack off there.

good luck to you and please tell me when you are playing next.

its -ev to make this call and our job in poker is get into +ev situations. its -ev by the numbers I just ran which I guess you didnt get, you really cant argue with the numbers.

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm up fora little heads up session on pokerstars if u want say- 5 * 5.50- just to check the winning tactics.
And also the numbers u are running presume he has a good hand- many times we are ahead of villians range here- and i feel i am good enough to laydown A4 on a AK4 board- maybe not a AQ4 board tho- would take a very good read on thatp but an AK4 board i could easily do it

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands