Theoretical situations thread

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok guys so outside of playing poker I find myself constantly thinking about and creating situations in my head. A lot of the time I'm like "wait would I check in that spot or bet?" A lot of the time the situations we create in our head eventually arise as I have learned. I'm sure a lot of u think about poker a lot outside of playing... Either u wish u were playing or u run through hands... But sometimes u think of situations in your mind that confuse you. I create entire scenarios in my head and I feel like it would be helpful for some of us to post our "theoretical" hands that we make up in our minds outside of poker that confuse us... Because as I have learned, u never know when the situation will actually come up in actual play. In this thread... U can even man make a hand that's a tough spot for u and we can all help and you can apply. No longer do u need to have the hand occur in actual play... U can create it yourself so that the FIRST time it does come up you will be prepared and ready to tackle it. There will be no more need to make corrections on plays... Because they never happened in the first place. I will kick it off....

Ok. So we are in middle position with pocket 10's. its been folded around to us, we open raise to 4X big blind. It folds around and the big blind calls the bet. He has been playing pretty TAG and you have played with him a lot and he's a solid reg. flop hits K45 rainbow, he checks... What's our play? Are we betting here? We have seen villain capable of checking flop with top pair. Knowing this... Can we still bet?

Last edited:
AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice thread...I think of scenarios before I go to sleep usually...lol...

On that hand, I would cbet and if he re raises then you can put him on a set..checking behind isn't gonna give us any new info for the turn imo

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending ofcourse on what the theoretical limit and game type is :D

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice thread...I think of scenarios before I go to sleep usually...lol...

On that hand, I would cbet and if he re raises then you can put him on a set..checking behind isn't gonna give us any new info for the turn imo

Ok so basically ur bet folding flop?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say he flats the bet and the turn Is an ace, and he checks again. Do we quit? Or double barrel

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prob bet fold if it was the microstakes.....if he check/calls the flop and an ace hits the turn then I'm double barreling coz what aces can he have that he doesn't 3bet pre with?....maybe A2s-A5s but that's about it and even then if there's no flush possibilities he is chasing 2pair at best....but then he could be slowplaying a set, so we would need to go to the river and see what he does...

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes u think he didn't flat like A10/AJ pre. I think I'm probably b/f'ing the turn. If he flats the turn and leads the river I'm folding for sure I think

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think a tag is gonna call a MP raise with AT-AJ...it would be a 3bet or fold I think...and he's deffo not gonna 3bet especially if he notices we are a competent player....you can open raise with AT-AJ but calling a raise with them is abit meh.....as played (in our heads) I would still double barrel then check behind on the river or fold if he bets....

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks... Well ur welcome ITT whenever you have a theoretical situation u wanna talk about before bed lol :)

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then again he could flat pre with any suited ace...had a brainfart there....cheers man, hopefully other peeps will post in here, it saves copying hands all the time :)

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I have trouble believing we r the only ones who run theoreticals

C

CrossedLine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely run theoreticals. But mine usually include me holding a kickass hand my first hand sitting at a high stakes cash game, with the other guy staring me down thinking I'm the new guy, and me saying something wicked sweet, like "Well I'm gonna go all in, cause I don't think you got the spades." But then I wake up screaming as he flips over the Aces for Aces full of nines to beat my nines full of Aces, and realize my damn TV is on. I knew that guy looked like fkin Matt Damon...

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are we raising 4x? What are stack sizes?

K45r should be pretty much a bet with 100% of your range, here he just never has AK and can float with worse.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are we raising 4x? What are stack sizes?

K45r should be pretty much a bet with 100% of your range, here he just never has AK and can float with worse.

Ok so lets say we bet... And he floats and then the turns an ace and he leads for half pot... Can we re raise profitably here? I feel like A re raise looks pretty powerful on our part. Is it wrong to assume he will only call that raise with like the top of his range like AJ type of stuff? What can we get him off of with a little bit of craftiness?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't try to make people in MTTs fold top pair.

J

JaguarJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ very true. But i'd cbet probably and fold to any raise.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok. Thanks guys I have another situation.

We Are on the button with 10 K suited. We raise it up to 3 big blinds. The big blind calls Hero and villain are 100BB deep. Villain has been playing very tight, he's a scared kind of player. Flop is 10 10 4. He bets half pot. So my question... Is how do I go about extracting maximum value from this situation? Do I flat the flop re raise turn if he fires? Do I flat flop, flat turn and then re raise the river? I feel like on any street he's going to fold to a re raise so should I call flop, call turn, re raise or bet river if he doesn't fire?

nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think calling flat is okay.
Then check and see how it goes. He will probably raise or all-in.
I know this because I'm kinda "scared" player too :D and if I commit that much and you show "weakness" I'll deff go for it :p

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think I'm probably flatting the flop. Betting/ re raising the turn and the same thing on the river