Super Donk Tourney

H

homerphobe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a very small stakes 900 player tournament and ran into an interesting situation. There are 150 players left with the blinds at 150/300. Average stacks are 7000 or so I have 8500. Two big stacks (20000+) have been bullying the table pretty consistently, with small raises or calls preflop and playing very aggressively postflop. I've made a few reraises of the big stacks, and stolen blinds a few times with the bullies fold. I haven't shown down a hand for a long time. I open for 900 from 3rd position with JJ. Action folds to the button who is all in for $1500. The interesting part is a big stack calls from the big blind. My question is move in for remiaining 7000 or call and look to flop a set or showdown cheap? What can we possibly put this player on?

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is wholly possible for the Big stack to be dominating. If you were him would you raise with a big hand? Probably not.

JJ in 3rd position is very vulnerable.

I would call for the 600 and see the flop. If an ace or king falls you should consider that you are behind.

Theres plenty more play yet to have to gamble here IMHO

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well considering theres two of you in the pot, and he was in big blind, and he was playing loose, he couldve been tempted by the decent pot to take a look with any two decent cards.

Not sure what id do, but with 150 players still left, id probably shove

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, tough situation but an extremely interesting one. When the BB calls the pot is now 4050 and you need to add 600 to call, so the pot is offering your jacks odds of almost 7 to 1 and 100 pounds of implied odds since the BB has huge stack, which means you would never fold even if you think you're dominated, hoping to get help from the flop. So, to state the obvious, you have to at least call and the question now becomes if you should reraise or shove.

Reraising also seems out of question here because it would likely make you pot committed, so shove or call are the only 2 options.

You mentioned that the BB is very loose and aggressive after the flop. In this situation I would be very cautious when trying to put him on a range for the reason that he called an all-in raise, where he knows that in order to take this pot down he has to show the goods, he can't bully his way into winning it, so we have to give him credit for some kind of hand. Here is where knowing your opponents tendencies becomes critical.

If you make him capable of trying to trap you with a hand like AA or KK, then you should just call, since it is possible that he has one of those hands making you a 4.5 to 1 dog. If you are strongly convinced he would have reraised with one of those hands, then shove. He's likely then to have AK or AQ or some other hand that you are ahead of and you can probably get him to fold it leaving you HU with the all-in guy, which is the best thing considering the size of the pot already.

I'm not exactly a fan of JJ because there are too many ways to lose with it, but that is exactly the point here. If you think that shoving has a great chance to make him fold then you should definitely do it. It all depends on how tricky you think that loose player is. You don't want to get knocked out but you do want to play this in a way that gives you the greatest chance to take down this huge pot.

H

homerphobe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the good feedback. I put the guy on an ace with a decent kicker or a medium-small pair and ended up moving in on him. He showed AK and caught a king on the flop to win. I made this post because I wasn't sure if it was a bad play. I could have called and seen a K flop and gotten out of the hand. What I was thinking is get 1 or 2 overcards to fold so I'd be heads up with some dead money in the pot, or a call from an underpair where I'm 4.5-1. Turns out a race with good odds and an extra 1500 in the pot (the all in had J10s) wasn't a terrible outcome, especially at that point in the tourney. Thanks again.