The stupidest move in poker?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok. Can someone help me out here? I'm the big blind and my stack is the third shortest. I'm dealt Js, 10s. Everyone calls and no one raises the big blind. I check(as I reflect on this move I think I should have raised). The flop comes 7h, 10h, 10d. Great! Three of a kind. Now, I go all in because I didn't want to get burned with a flush. The first player to my left folds. The next player thinks and says "If you have a ten, that's a stupidest thing you could have done." I say nothing. Now, he is the seond shortest stack soI got him covered. He thinks for about two minutes and constantly looks at me thinking. Finally, he calls. Everyone folds. Now to add suspense to the whole thing. He shows me a 7d and leaves the other card face down. To humor him, I show my Js. He refused to show the other one so I didn't wither. The turn is a Qh. Still doesn't show it and neither do I. The turn is Kd. Well, I know he doesn't have the flush. He says he has the ten, making the boat. I reveal my 10. He faces drops and shows his card, which is a 4c. Then, he tells me it was the stupidest move in poker and I should have slow played it. He walks away from the table upset. Now, I agree with him to a point. But, I wouldn't call it the stupidest move. What do you think?

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess you have never read the advice "never slow play a set"

Trips are kinda odd though. A lot of the time if a board come out with 2 of one card and I was preflop aggressor, I bet at it anyway. I am less scared of that than 2 single over cards someone could have paired up.

He called the hand, you got his chips, the play worked fine, ignore him. If he doesn't put you on it cause he expects you to slow play it, then all the better for you.

That guy sounds like a chump.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I basically read that as "donk calls all his chips off with a crap hand then whines because I didn't play my trips like he expected me to."

Which is pretty silly, really.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So let me get this straight.. Option A is exactly what you did move all-in and have him call for all his chips or Option B Slow play it for all his chips..

What you did was become the aggresor(sp) which was his intentions so since you changed his game plan and according to him you played it wrong. Lately I am finding out and being content with the "A win is a win no matter how you do it"

duesXmachina

duesXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WELLLLL DONE

I see two things here, one his futile attempt to dislodge you from your role as dominating opponent, which the cards will clearly show he was BEAT, and two, he is a whiny, wanna be poker pro who thinks that he knows how YOU were supposed to play your cards. HMMM who won all the chips, yeah, basically i sum this up by saying i disagree with Mr. Chump, I would have made the same move...NO WAY am i gonna let a flush suck out cuz i under bet, so putting him in the position you did, as well as his reaction PROVE to me at least that you did the right thing. Secondly he is a Sore Loser. It would be nice for someone to not criticize your play for once and just say "nice hand" _ "well played" or even BOTH. so i will say it for Mr. Cranky pants. Nice Hand and Well done. :cool: (you)_:mad: (him)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The only stupid move here was by "Mr. Cranky-Pants" (thanks for the tag-line, dues:D ). If there wasn't two to a flush draw on the board, then maybe you should have slow-played it, but otherwise, I think you did the right thing. What the hell was that guy doing calling with 7/4 os? What a tard. Even if he doesn't believe you have a 10, he has a 4 kicker for cripes sake. The guy is obviously exactly what duesXmachina claims. Well-played, good job t1riel!

jeterkid925

jeterkid925

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, slowplaying trips is something that most of the time you just gotta raise very big with. Not let people draw out the flush or straight, because to me, it happens more times then I win with

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
t1riel said:
Ok. Can someone help me out here?
Maybe
t1riel said:
I'm the big blind and my stack is the third shortest. I'm dealt Js, 10s. Everyone calls and no one raises the big blind.
How many is everyone?
t1riel said:
I check(as I reflect on this move I think I should have raised).
Again, depends on how many limpers you're up against. I'd raise against 1 maybe 2 limpers and follow with a continuation bet unless the flop shows high cards. You'd have to pay top dollar to scare away more than that. In your position I check too.
t1riel said:
The flop comes 7h, 10h, 10d. Great! Three of a kind
Chuckle. How quaint. Last time I called it that I was playing 5 card draw for matchsticks.
t1riel said:
Now, I go all in because I didn't want to get burned with a flush.
I like this move. It smells like a steal. I rairly slow play anything. I'll typically put in a good size bet and check the turn. I looks like a failed continuation bet. Personally, I would have let you have it.
t1riel said:
butThe first player to my left folds. The next player thinks and says "If you have a ten, that's a stupidest thing you could have done." I say nothing.... He thinks for about two minutes and constantly looks at me thinking. Finally, he calls.
So he thinks you're full of flapdoodle. But what about the rest of the table?
t1riel said:
Everyone folds.
Hey! How'd he do that?
t1riel said:
Now to add suspense to the whole thing. He shows me a 7d and leaves the other card face down. To humor him, I show my Js. He refused to show the other one so I didn't wither. The turn is a Qh. Still doesn't show it and neither do I. The turn is Kd. Well, I know he doesn't have the flush. He says he has the ten, making the boat.
Suspense? That's like bragging about the size of your tallywacker, when your hung like a hampster. The truth will be known.
t1riel said:
I reveal my 10. He faces drops and shows his card, which is a 4c. Then, he tells me it was the stupidest move in poker and I should have slow played it. He walks away from the table upset. Now, I agree with him to a point. But, I wouldn't call it the stupidest move.
You do? I was going to complement you on a good read and a bold move. I guess that makes me stupid too. But not the stupidest.
t1riel said:
What do you think?
I love these. They're really just bad beat posts with a twist. People love to pretend that they're asking for advice when what they really want is everyone to agree how moronic the other guy was.
Did you really expect someone to take Mr. Needle Dicks side on this?
Grumbledook said:
Guess you have never read the advice "never slow play a set"
Never? First to act, no overcards, no obvious draws, against one or two opponents. If not here, when? It's more dangerouse to slow play a flush.

duesXmachina

duesXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to brush up...

OH YEAH, i forgot something that i should have thrown in there yesterday.....JuiceeQ already put it down on zero's and one's but i will say it also too as well. That call...with two pair and a four kicker...WHAT WAS HE THINKING. The number of hands you could have held that would have crushed him is redic. Any pocket pair 8's or higher, both the tens-regardless of kicker, and any seven with a sub-par kicker higher than four. So basically this guys read on you was that you had balls the size of stonies lymph nodes (which are the size of cats by the way lol). His decision to put all his chips on the line with only an average hand-NO KICKER, and an opponent representing a Very Strong hand, even if you were bluffing, SUCKED. Making his call possibly the worst move in poker EVER? Well if not i dont know what is. I have to make it a point to myself that when i play a 7-x GARBAGE hand, even if i catch the seven, i dont call someones all in. If you are going to win with a hand like he was holding, you had better be the guy going all in and hope your opponent didnt just slow play a set of tens. At that point I would have said, he made an aggressive move at the wrong time. BUT CALLING WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID OF HIM.
THE END.
:withstupi

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a low stack I would prob make the same move as you. A lot of the time players put low stacked players on a bluff, particularly with a board like that. I think the guy thought he was something special and was either trying to get a read or is a muppet.

Slow playing trips is very dangerous, as you could lose out to higher a kicker or, on this board, a flush draw. I think you made the right move

Also, J 10s is not a raising hand unless 1 or 2 limpers late position. And if your stack is really low, then your raise wouldnt be worth your while, probably better off waiting for something better to risk your tourney life on, as they will most probably call anyway