Some feedback on my knockout please

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

edit: sorry didn't copy the hand to use the hand converter, will try to remember next time. :)

Just got bonked from a free roll. I should mention I went out 857th in a 2000 player freeroll and I had about 5500 at the time.

I have 10 4

blinds are 100

get in for the blinds

flops is 10 7 4

bet the pot 600

called

turn is a K

my caller goes all in for 10k

I call

he turns K 7

I am in a bad way

river is an A

I am out of the tourney!!!

So, obviously I should not have made that call. The only thing that two pair beats is 1 pair.

Things is the guy I called built his stack from 2k to 10k muscling the table, putting 10 times the pot bets in every hand. There is no way he was running that well - obviously. So I thought this guy has muscled enough out of me I am gonna call, I got two pair, even if he hit his K that is fine.

Am I a donkey or a fish??

How do you not call the bully??

Cheers!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Between this, and your other bust out thread, I see a pattern. You seem overly eager to put your tourney life on the line.

Try a slower approach, learn to make in play decisions rather than putting it all on the line at once. Very often, an out of place shove, is more suspect than a solid bet or raise.

A more standard approach, and a willingness on your part to survive, might have played this hand differently;

--1/2 pot raise on the flop, likely called, perhaps re-raised, where you call, thinking you got this sucker. On the K turn, even with the overcard, there is still good reason to believe it's your hand, you check, with the possibility of a reraise in the back of your mind. When he stacks you, you think long and hard that he hit big, probably big enough to beat you, and with survival in mind, you fold.

I imagine many will disagree with me about that line, but I'd like to see your next post show that you got further in a tourney.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get in for the blinds
So were you the Big Blind? If not, you shouldn't have been in the hand in the 1st place.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
edit: sorry didn't copy the hand to use the hand converter, will try to remember next time. :)

If you have the hand histories downloaded to your computer (works from pokerstars, ftp, and Cake for sure) you can copy it where you want when you have time.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place. As far as I can deduce, you limped in along with a total of 5 other people. 6 people in the pot, playing T4o is asking for a disaster.

M

McGurkus12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it helps to decide your strategy before the flop. If you have a weak hand to start with, why limp until someone catches you and then go all in? Play it stronger and then bet big if you hit a good flop. Otherwise you are just betting big after someone else told you he hit something that can beat you.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Fold preflop, unless you're the BB and don't have to invest anything. At least until you get more experience and know how to handle T7 with multiple people in the pot.

2) Bottom two pair with lots of people in the hand, you're probably ahead, but vulnerable. Bet pot, fold to resistance.

3) On the turn, your choice. Overcard, maybe he's only paired the K and thinks he's ahead of a pair of tens. In a freeroll it's hard to judge; you thought he had been bluffing so you called. You can wait for a better opportunity and survive, or see if he's bluffing. Maybe try dj's advice and focus on the survival attitude a little more and see if that gets you deeper.

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Everyone,

Yes I was the big blind, only reason I was actually in the hand, I just hit so well I thought. In fact I didn't.

I guess old addage that two pair only beats one pair is a rule I am not taking to heat.

So, about the bully question, how do you deal with that. This guy is shoving on everything, 2k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 8k, there is no way he has a hand every single time, how do I avoid the call when I got these two pairs. How do I convince myself that this time he has something??

Cheers!