solid SnG

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know what it was with Stars last night but I played 3 different SnGs and got better players than I wanted to play with. Seemed like some of our CC games. I was looking to make money, not for a good game. First tourney I was in over a half an hour before someone busted out. The following is from the last tourney. Going on an hour and still 5 left. All are solid with the exception of bonefish who is tight/passive. If you think I need flamed for my play, please do.

pokerstars Game #6185560488: Tournament #31357915, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2006/09/05 - 22:22:40 (ET)
Table '31357915 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: bonefish44 (1830 in chips)
Seat 2: smoky1 (2803 in chips)
Seat 3: Alon Ipser (3440 in chips)
Seat 8: dblevins269 (2780 in chips)
Seat 9: ripwell (2647 in chips)
Alon Ipser: posts small blind 100
dblevins269: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Alon Ipser [Ad 7d]
ripwell: folds
bonefish44: folds
smoky1: folds
Alon Ipser: raises 200 to 400
dblevins269: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [7h Ac Tc]
Alon Ipser: checks
dblevins269: checks
*** TURN *** [7h Ac Tc] [8h]
Alon Ipser: checks
dblevins269: checks
*** RIVER *** [7h Ac Tc 8h] [Ks]
Alon Ipser: bets 400
dblevins269: raises 800 to 1200
Alon Ipser: raises 1840 to 3040 and is all-in
dblevins269: calls 1180 and is all-in

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea thats pretty terrible

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should probably just call his raise on the end. He could have a straight. Also I think you should bet the turn.

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was very pissed at myself after this hand was over.

First, my preflop bet was weak. I've been trying to break myself from using the raise button. It's just a lazy, no brainer way of betting and in most cases just too weak.

Postflop check absolutely sucks. These guys have been folding to any kind of bet if they're weak so I thought I would slow play. What a donk move. There's a flush draw, a straight draw and God knows what else I'm giving dblevins a chance to hit for free.

Turn is even worse than the flop. Hell, if he didn't hit, I'd better give him another chance for free.

River comes a King. Well, obviously he has a King to reraise me. WRONG! The ironic part of this is I had just been reading FP's blog and he talking about pot odds and using the example of drawing to an inside straight and as soon as dblevins calls my all in it clicks that he's got the straight. Didn't even cross my mind before, I was thinking Kx. Screwed this one up so many ways.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
Alon Ipser: shows [Ad 7d] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
dblevins269: shows [Qs Js] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
dblevins269 collected 5560 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5560 | Rake 0
Board [7h Ac Tc 8h Ks]
Seat 1: bonefish44 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: smoky1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Alon Ipser (small blind) showed [Ad 7d] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 8: dblevins269 (big blind) showed [Qs Js] and won (5560) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 9: ripwell folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the dangers of flopping a great hand is becoming convinced that you've already won, and that all that's left is to try and extract as many chips as possible. I did this once when I flopped a hidden set and slow played that dog to the end where I allowed someone to out draw me. I bet out my good hands now. I'd rather win a smaller pot than lose all my chips. Finding that fine line takes practice and experience. It's not just pot odds, as people don't generally play to pot odds, it's more of a judgement call on that specific table and the texture of the flop. I constantly argue with my brother in law when he doesn't bet his sets for example. "but I don't get any value" he says, yeah but you risk being out drawed..

Live and learn.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effexor.

You summed up in your thread exactly what I have been thinking for a long long time.

Players as a general rule of thumb do not play pot odds. They play the cards. Plenty of reasons for this but probably the most common are

1) They are ignorant of what pot odds actually mean and
2) They get married to their A rag hands etc etc

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh God - every single street is horrible and I'm glad you realise it.

- Raise more p/f
- Bet flop
- Bet turn
- Call river raise

...but you already said all of that, so meh.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much I can add here.

You made a cardinal sin in minraising from the SB.

Checking the flop with possible straight/flush draws was pretty horrible.

Checking the turn would have been okay if you'd bet the flop and you wanted to trap on the river.. provided you'd given him bad pot odds on the flop to draw on.

The all-in reraise on the river was probably the worst thing about this hand. A danger card has just been presented on the river, and you decide to risk all your chips. It's harsh but, you pretty much got what you deserved on this one.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I read the first post, I was like, "OMG". But I must say, you are a better man than I for posting this for the whole world to see. I would have burned it and spread the ashes across 3 states.

I agree with what the others said, I would just add that the BB would be right to call the mini raise with ANY 2 cards. So STOP with the mini-raises.