Should I Slowplay?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This mas a live MTT. The blinds are 10/20 and everyone starts with 3,500 chips. I'm in middle position. This is the fifth hand. I get
:ad4::kd4:. I raise it to 120. Player A on my left calls. Everyone else folds. The flop:
:3d4: :ah4: :8d4: .

Player A loves to chase flushes and won a pot earlier with a low card flush (so she has me covered with $200 left). I think this is the orefect opporunity to slowplay. Agree or disagree?

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will answer this the exact same way I answer everytime someone asks this, play this same way you would play any other hand on the flop.

K

kid_romeo24

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, don't change your game when you hit. If you always lead out after you open the pot with a raise. Don't change it will set off an alarm for TRAP!!!

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats her chasing the flush draws have to do with slowplaying though?

1- Its unlikely shed have a flush draw in 1st place.

2- If she chases it, then you should bet and get paid off if she has one?

K

kmarie2007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
slow play

I think slow backfires too often. I wouldn't slowplay.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, she just called your raise so she could have a range of hand.

-Mid to high PP
-Ace with weaker kicker.
-2 diamonds
-(small) Suited connectors
-hands like KJ, QJ, J10, KQ, etc.

In this situation, I'd check/call the flop and then check/raise the turn. Then lead out on the river.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet 1/2 the pot to lure him in. If he's on a diamond draw, he'll call. If he's not, he'll probably fold. I see no point in slowplaying it. You've announced to the table you've something strong. make it look like a c-bet.

Like what Storm said. Play it exactly the same way as you'd usually do.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For some reason I can't see your second card, all I see is the Kd. Was the second card Ad?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you should make value bets throughout the hand, get the most $ in the pot as you can, if you suspect she is on a flush draw and the diamond hits then you have her.
If you slowplay it and the diamond doesn't hit, you wont get the value you should have gotten for the hand.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get it? Opponent likes flush draw, board has flush draw, but you want to slowplay?

Anyway, here are Skansky's criteria of slowplaying (from Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players):
1. our hand is very strong
2. you will probably chase everyone out by betting
3. the free card has good possibility to help make a second best hand
4. free card has little chance of outdrawing you
5. the pot is not that large

You need to have ALL of the above (not just one/a few) for the situation to dictate a slowplay.

Clearly not the case here.

Also, as pointed out above:

1. If you want your continuation bets to garner respect, you have to bet when you hit, not just when you miss.
2. Any flush draw will put $ in while there is a chance to draw out, but will NOT put any money in on the river if they missed. i.e., if you wait to bet until your are sure you have the best hand (flush missed), then you will not get any money.
3. Any weaker ace is likely to pay off here to any bets you make.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. If you want your continuation bets to garner respect, you have to bet when you hit, not just when you miss.
2. Any flush draw will put $ in while there is a chance to draw out, but will NOT put any money in on the river if they missed. i.e., if you wait to bet until your are sure you have the best hand (flush missed), then you will not get any money.
3. Any weaker ace is likely to pay off here to any bets you make.

Case closed.

If she really is on a flush draw much better to bet now to make some chips since there are only 7 diamonds left and the chances of not making the flush are pretty high leaving you with nothing to get from her.

You have a great hand but you can't just c-bet only when you miss, I mean even when you hit a set and the pot is HU you still should c-bet just about every time with a few exceptions, 1st because it looks suspicious if you have made c-bets every time and 2nd because of what AG said about your c-bets getting respect when you miss the flop. Showing patterns is just about the worst thing you can do.

Obviously I agree with the weak ace calling and paying you off also.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet, but make it the size that a flush draw could reasonably call, i.e. about 1/2 the pot or maybe even a little less.

No hand that's folding on the flop is going to put much more into the pot because of your slowplay, unless they outdraw you.

An A will call a halfpot bet and your hand is more concealed than if you check-call or check-raise, because your flop bet could just be a c-bet. A flush draw will call it too. Pretty much all other hands wouldn't have paid you off later in the hand anyway, unless you have a read that she loves to make wild bluffs.

M

MadRiver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Value bets to the river. Hopefully they hit their flush and give you all their chips.lol

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would the slow play be here? Check/call ? Min raise. Actually a min bet or raise to lead out looks promising. Opp might think it is a weak attempt at a steal, and pop it for you. At this point opp has to have either 2 diamonds, or a weak ace, or already 2 pair. the 2 diamonds are useless so he has maybe 6 outs if he doesn't already have 2 pair or the improbable trips.

I like the minbet/raise.