Should I have seen this coming?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happened last night. I was in the Big Blind very early in the tournament (blinds 100/200) and got dealt :ad4: :qd4: . Early and middle positions fold and the button calls the blg blind. Small blind calls. I raised it to 220 total. The button folds and the small blind calls. The flop:
:jh4: :qh4: :jd4: .
Small blind bets 400. I call. The turn:
:3c4:
Small blind bets 800. I call. The river:
:jc4: .
Small blind goes all in. Now, I'm thinking the chances of the small blind having that fourth Jack is slim. He could be holding pocket Kings or Aces but then again he didn't raise preflop. He mght have a queen which would result in a chop. I call. He had...do I really have to tell you? OK.
:js4: :4c4: .
I asked him later why he call my raise with that. He replied "I had a feeling about that hand." Either I was a victim of a donk or I had a stupid mistake by calling his all in and should have seen it coming. What do you think?

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J4, J10. Not much difference. The point is that he started betting after the flop. He was not really hiding the fact that he had a hand. He started firing out a bet and you were the one calling.

I think I would have folded on his turn bet and here is why. He could have been bluffing on the flop, try to rep he had a J, and you called (bluff spoiled). His bet on the turn when he is out of position is a big sign to me that he is not afraid of a reraise and therefore, I would have to assume he has a J.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, I made a mistake on the first post. The blinds were actually 10/20.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Raise less preflop (such a big raise is very often indicative of a marginal hand like AQ or a middle pair). 11BBs is way too excessive here.

- Raise the flop. If he pushes or raises big, unless he's pulled silly stuff on paired boards before, it should probably be a fold. If he calls, you just have to use your best judgement and any reads you have on the turn.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Raise less preflop (such a big raise is very often indicative of a marginal hand like AQ or a middle pair). 11BBs is way too excessive here.

- Raise the flop. If he pushes or raises big, unless he's pulled silly stuff on paired boards before, it should probably be a fold. If he calls, you just have to use your best judgement and any reads you have on the turn.

Yeah...

D

davidpk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You had put him on at least 3 jacks after the flop and his $400. bet. Get out. Don't be so proud of the slick.

S

shark vs fish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise less preflop to 5x or so. Then on the flop, you called because you thought he might've been semi-bluffing right? I'd reraise his flop bet. Anyone who doesn't have a J would've folded, and those who do would let you know so you throw away the hand at next opportunity.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no it has nothing to do with the raise....actually it was a nice raise and u should have folded on the flop. reason i say that is because he bet right away and i would put him on J10 if it was me. two nice bets from him on the flop and the turn and he was trying to get more chips of ya. also if he had a flush draw, he would have either bet smaller or check called ya.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the blinds at 10/20, a paired flop and he bets out 20xBB, its an insta-fold.
Better to be safe than sorry, especially in the very early stages of any tourney.
And to answer original question, yes you should have seen it coming, if not after the flop then after the turn.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is 17 months old :(