• Start date
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D

Value betting. It might just be my interpritation of the phrase.

I would not raise with AK to `value bet`. I would raise with this hand to thin the field, so I could get heads up. AK = A high with top kicker, nothing more.

A value bet to me would be sitting in last position with the best hand and betting about 1/5 pot to get a call from someone who has some kind of hand but they have to call.

I`m not saying you are wrong with your interpritation ;)
IMO, they are both correct:
1. Your betting enough to induce callers when holding the best hand(Betting to extract value)
2. Your also betting based on the strength of your hand preflop(Betting on the value of your hole cards).
This is how I look at value betting which I believe is the right way to look at it.

I would also like to add that a 1/5 pot bet for value looks a little suspicious and only works on low limit MTTs/Ring/SnGs IMO.

Last edited:
pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an instant call... the lack of a re-raise late in position pre-flop, shows that he has a medeocre hand.. he possibly has two-pair or Q10, J10, or a flush draw... i couldnt see him having a set or AA... your ahead at this point. hopefully you stayed ahead till the end. :p

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At a guess, a pair has made trips or a suited ace has hit the board. Hard one to fold and you still have potential outs. Without reads or knowing whether you are ITm/just OTM it's hard to make the call. Doesn't this become an M calculation? In which case if you were to fold you would have a M of about 10. My gut feeling is that you are way behind and although it's very wimpish you could probably fold here and still progress. Also, the other guy unless he is a complete lunatic must figure from your bets you would probably call so he must have something.

I'm sure you called so what was revealed?

Yeah, got one correct for once. So villain was scared of the flush or thought you had AT and seeing your c-bet thought pay day. Nice move by him.

S

sin2win

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definatly a call, but this also depends on the player u're playing. it could be a fold if u feel ure oppent hit a set or reraised u preflop, might be holding rockets. more than likely he's semi bluffing, got 2 pr or flush draw, maybe even A10. again this all depends on the player but id take my chances and maybe go broke there LOL

BigCaliber

BigCaliber

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IF this guy had played any of the last 3 or 4 delt hands I would of gone all
in. If he had sat out for last 4 or so I would of folded thinking he had at least 2 pair.

BigClaiber

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ :rofl: you have a point, its a well known fact that people who play a hand never beat an overpair when they go all in

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I would do...

Don't know how the guy has played so far but I would fold...I'm thinking he hit a set and you don't even know what the next guys is going to do.

Folding in Poker