Set third of kind 88 flop vs set QQ. Is it cooler or can you fold?

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it was the second leg of the tournament, I was very optimistic, hahahah. in fact I shouldn't even have paid pre flop I know this, until I thought I just couldn't have QQ but. Would anyone give up?
https://gg.gl/zt8zs

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
is a easy preflop fold, because is only the second hand and the villain opens 12BB lol
your 88 is dominated against villain range, and even if you hits a 8 you can be in trouble

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It looks like he opened to 12 X preflop, so you were not deep enough to make set mining profitable.

As played, though, I am going broke on that flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am struggling a little to read that hand history, but as others have said, this seem to be a 12BB open, and then its almost the same as cold calling a 3-bet. Its a very unconventional line by the opponent, and without some read I would just fold 88. The thing is, even if he is on some wild bluff, its going to work a lot of the time, as long as he continue firing postflop. If stacks were shallower, getting it in pre might be an option against a freeroll maniac, but for 200BB I think, you can find better spots.

Flop
As played its just a standard set over set cooler. In a freeroll people are stacking off AA and KK on this flop every single time, and he has 4 times as many combos of those as of QQ.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely fold preflop, what do you think he has in his hands? 88 it’s not good to call here

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop if you don`t know his opening range.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Dodgy-looking link doesn't work for me.

Set over set is a tricky spot, a spot I remember seeing pros bust out on...

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dodgy-looking link doesn't work for me.

Set over set is a tricky spot, a spot I remember seeing pros bust out on...

is the GGpoker link even

Fold preflop if you don`t know his opening range.

I know the open raise range of the position the villain was in, but his rank is not only QQ KK and AA has AQs AKs, 99+

Definitely fold preflop, what do you think he has in his hands? 88 it’s not good to call here

the villain’s range wasn’t very broad, but there’s AKo AQo AKs AQs 99 TT JJ QQ KK AA

the mistake was actually the pre flop call but after you hit the set it's difficult

Preflop
I am struggling a little to read that hand history, but as others have said, this seem to be a 12BB open, and then its almost the same as cold calling a 3-bet. Its a very unconventional line by the opponent, and without some read I would just fold 88. The thing is, even if he is on some wild bluff, its going to work a lot of the time, as long as he continue firing postflop. If stacks were shallower, getting it in pre might be an option against a freeroll maniac, but for 200BB I think, you can find better spots.

Flop
As played its just a standard set over set cooler. In a freeroll people are stacking off AA and KK on this flop every single time, and he has 4 times as many combos of those as of QQ.

well placed, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is the GGpoker link even

I know the open raise range of the position the villain was in, but his rank is not only QQ KK and AA has AQs AKs, 99+

the villain’s range wasn’t very broad, but there’s AKo AQo AKs AQs 99 TT JJ QQ KK AA

the mistake was actually the pre flop call but after you hit the set it's difficult

well placed, thank you

How you managed to upload that link? I do not know how to post my hands played on GGpoker. Thanks!

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dominated, don't have to think about it..

88 set vs QQQ set, simple lay down. 1. If they "only" have QQQ, your 888 is dominated. 2 there are full house and quads possibilities. Definitely a tough spot.

That being said, it's easier to talk about laying down trips than actually doing it.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hard to get away from your hand when you flop a set. Set over Set is always painful but once your in that position I think you simple call hand let the hand play out.

Folding in Poker