Right play or not???

D

diggzmusiq27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I had A10 on the cutoff. Blinds were $100/$50 tourney 6max. I raised preflop to $400. TAG calls from late position and REC player calls from the button. Flops comes out 510Ace (Rainbow). I bet about half the pot. TAG folds and REC calls. Turn comes 6 . At this point I bet 3/4 of the pot and REC shoves. With about a little less than $900 left I called. I was ahead. The villain had 79suited. River comes out with 8. The villain won with a straight. Should I have checked the turn or continued to be the aggressor? The REC player had been making some loose plays throughout the tourney...

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't play cash and also not these stakes but why check and give him free cards to complete his draw?

Assuming he had the inside straight draw and a flush draw after turn, he was only to win the hand in 1/4 times, so his jam was ridiculous.

Unfortunately, you had to be the 1 in 4 hand and lost. Bad kind of variance. 😔

In my opinion you definitely played the hand the right way and I'd take a 75/25 jam every day please. 🤓

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think he was just lucky because it's hard to call with such cards, but just because he did it and won doesn't mean he plays great just this time he was lucky

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The bet on the turn was good, the villain was very lucky, reading how you described the hand I would have bet that the villain go to flush and not to straight

PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
I had A10 on the cutoff. Blinds were $100/$50 tourney 6max. I raised preflop to $400. TAG calls from late position and REC player calls from the button. Flops comes out 510Ace (Rainbow). I bet about half the pot. TAG folds and REC calls. Turn comes 6 . At this point I bet 3/4 of the pot and REC shoves. With about a little less than $900 left I called. I was ahead. The villain had 79suited. River comes out with 8. The villain won with a straight. Should I have checked the turn or continued to be the aggressor? The REC player had been making some loose plays throughout the tourney...
I think postflop with two top pair short stacks should have shoved

D

diggzmusiq27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The bet on the turn was good, the villain was very lucky, reading how you described the hand I would have bet that the villain go to flush and not to straight
Agreed! There was no flush draws on the board nor any other hand that had me dominated. He could have a set 12% of the time, however I believe he would have played that differently given his previous hands. Luck definitely made him prevail this time.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing AA in a hand I was on the BB and faced a raise from a player UTG, about pot sized, I immediately raised doubling the bet hoping not to see the flop, he called and the flop with 2 Hearts onboard, I then shoved all-in as I was holding the Ace of Hearts, He called with Q 10 of Hearts, fishing for the Flush.
Call it Lucky or not, the turn and river came all black giving me the win, but it just as easily have gone the other way.
Personally I feel you played right, just as I did. Poker is a terrible game when it goes against you.

D

diggzmusiq27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Playing AA in a hand I was on the BB and faced a raise from a player UTG, about pot sized, I immediately raised doubling the bet hoping not to see the flop, he called and the flop with 2 Hearts onboard, I then shoved all-in as I was holding the Ace of Hearts, He called with Q 10 of Hearts, fishing for the Flush.
Call it Lucky or not, the turn and river came all black giving me the win, but it just as easily have gone the other way.
Personally I feel you played right, just as I did. Poker is a terrible game when it goes against you.
Yes, very half not to jam when you know you are dominating. Making sure I wasn't acting off of emotions and in turn making the right call. Thanks for the feedback!

N

njrbj4321

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
If you are a gambler then no, if not then yes.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
you played well but got unlucky in the end. Happens

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Seems to me you played this hand correctly, only way it looks bad is from a results standpoint. The goal in poker is to make correct plays with the information at hand. opponent played the hand loosely, as you thought & got payed off this time, which bodes well for his opponents in the future including you. Well played.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think you played correctly, you can't bet at the beginning and along the way give him the opportunity to catch something good on the river, your bet was good but the game was not on your side this time, I would have played the same way . Good luck next time!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your betting turn was fine-your call off fine as well-A rec player got lucky that is all
However your bet sizing on all streets could be more refined- Your stack size was-400pre +600 flop +1800 turn+900= 3700 ish? so sub 40bb

Preflop in tournaments in late position 4x sizing is not standard- 2.5x is standard 3x is large for our stack size- Why no 4x ? We are condensing our V's ranges when they call and building a larger pot that we have to put more of our stack in jeopardy in order to bluff post flop and our V can put more all-in pressure on us post flop if we make a marginal hand
Stack protecting is part of tournament strategy we try not to build big pots until we have strong hands

we 4x exploit sizing when expecting to be called but we use top of range which AT is not part of

Flop- This is a very good flop for us vs even 2 Villains- There are so few draws and our bet sizing preflop has condensed V float ranges so we can expect lots of folds so we can bet smaller here to get more calls -standard would be 33% of pot- 50% of pot is mostly targeting other Ax hands- which is too narrow a range- In multiway pots the smaller size is showing strength as we are betting into two players

Turn pot is now 2400 we have a stack of - 2700- When we bet 1800 we leave behind 900 and the pot is 4200 -1800 is an all-in bet as we are never folding- so just bet 2700
our flop bet was targeting mostly AX hands- of which AJ AQ are in the BB call range -we want to be thinking about what would call 1800 but fold to 2700- if it is the same hands that call both bets and fold to both bets then we bet all-in-
If we think 99 called flop or KJ or QJ JT QT etc they all fold to 1800 (vs a standard player) so again 2700 becomes the bet vs 1800
If you want those calls then you would bet 50% pot not 75% to get more calls

We want to be thinking about what range of hands are our bets targeting-not just we are strong we bet strong and we want to be aware of our stack size in relation to the pot size-SPR is Stack to Pot Ratio- you can study it for free just google it

Using a standard sizing strategy -you bet 3x preflop 33% flop 50% turn trying to get max value from worse hands- The EV of this line vs yours is higher overall

This strategy does not change for this REC player as the result of this hand would be the same but we get more value in other spots- the difference is you would be calling a larger turn shove by the REC player because we would not fold turn to the shove vs this player type and they will be shoving because my guess is they had a combo draw on the turn the 6 most likely two flushed the board and it may have given them some kind of gutty straight flush draw. If the 5 or T was the same suit as the six and the 8 of that suit is a straight flush-which is why the REC shoved ---or not they just might be that bad

Getting all in was fine and posting this hand to refine your strategies is how we all get better

Thank you for sharing I hope you win more of these spots then lose them💰🤑

-