Result say good play but what do you think of this hand ?

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a nice pot for me but after this guy was going all-in preflop, I was asking myself about reraising (all-in or big bet) so that I could play this one heads up.
Should I go all-in preflop or should I limp like I've done. result said good one but it could have exposed me to troubles.
So what's your opinion about ?

pokerstars Game #6716080730: Tournament #33698955, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/10/21 - 15:12:28 (ET)
Table '33698955 497' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: M4sterC4rd (9510 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: PULSOR (1758 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: BadYodeler (2815 in chips)
Seat 5: LuckyPiece (2025 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: nicoiko (3945 in chips)
Seat 7: Nu'uhiwa23 (3350 in chips)
Seat 8: Vylette (7302 in chips)
Seat 9: snake78140 (405 in chips)
Vylette: posts small blind 25
snake78140: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nicoiko [Ad Qd]
M4sterC4rd: folds
PULSOR: folds
BadYodeler: calls 50
LuckyPiece: folds
nicoiko: raises 150 to 200
Nu'uhiwa23: folds
Vylette: calls 175
snake78140: raises 205 to 405 and is all-in
BadYodeler: folds
nicoiko: calls 205
Vylette: calls 205
*** FLOP *** [As 4d Qc]
Vylette: bets 400
nicoiko: raises 3140 to 3540 and is all-in
Vylette: calls 3140
*** TURN *** [As 4d Qc] 3♣
*** RIVER *** [As 4d Qc 3c] 8♥
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Vylette: shows [4c Ah] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
nicoiko: shows [Ad Qd] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
nicoiko collected 7080 from side pot
snake78140: shows [8d Kh] (a pair of Eights)
nicoiko collected 1265 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 8345 Main pot 1265. Side pot 7080. | Rake 0
Board [As 4d Qc 3c 8h]
Seat 1: M4sterC4rd folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: PULSOR folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: BadYodeler folded before Flop
Seat 5: LuckyPiece folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: nicoiko showed [Ad Qd] and won (8345) with two pair, Aces and Queens
Seat 7: Nu'uhiwa23 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Vylette (small blind) showed [4c Ah] and lost with two pair, Aces and Fours
Seat 9: snake78140 (big blind) showed [8d Kh] and lost with a pair of Eights

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snake78140: raises 205 to 405 and is all-in
BadYodeler: folds
nicoiko: calls 205

I repop to 1k or so here to try and isolate against the allin guy seeing as the only person left to act appears to be weak. Rest looks fine.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno, I preface everything I say with the fact that I'm still a beginner.

But, AQs is generally not a preflop initiating all-in hand for me. I'm beginning to realize AA is not even always an all-in hand for me.

On the other hand, you have 8 seats filled, 3 sitters so effectively 5 hands so good big cards go up in value. The first all-in is short stacked so they could have anything. When it comes to you the second time you only have one hand behind you, so you're asking if you should have gone all in to isolate the short stack?

To me if you were thinking all in the time to go all in would have been the first time it came around to you, to pressure the short stack to call. But I would have played it preflop the way you did. Maybe some more more enlightened ones can enlighten us both.

Late edit: while typing I see dorkus has added advice

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me if you were thinking all in the time to go all in would have been the first time it came around to you, to pressure the short stack to call. But I would have played it preflop the way you did.

Problem is when the action first comes to him there are two active players other than the shorty to act, both of whom have stacks which can either cripple or eliminate us. If we push here, we only generally get called by the bigger stacks when we're crushed by AA-QQ/AK, and if everyone folds, whoop de doo we end up with 125 chips having risked our 4k stack. Yeah, you could end up with the 'ideal' situation of everyone folding and just shorty calling with a hand you beat, but it's taking too much of a risk.

Standard ~3bb raising and pushing after the call and shortstack allin is better as now (a) there is more money in the pot, and (b) the only player left to act has shown no strength, just calling a sole raise, and him folding (which he will do I'd guess 90% of the time unless he's an utter idiot) will give us a nice overlay in the pot.

L

l_b_rex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of played it exactly how you did.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is when the action first comes to him there are two active players other than the shorty to act, both of whom have stacks which can either cripple or eliminate us. If we push here, we only generally get called by the bigger stacks when we're crushed by AA-QQ/AK, and if everyone folds, whoop de doo we end up with 125 chips having risked our 4k stack. Yeah, you could end up with the 'ideal' situation of everyone folding and just shorty calling with a hand you beat, but it's taking too much of a risk.

Standard ~3bb raising and pushing after the call and shortstack allin is better as now (a) there is more money in the pot, and (b) the only player left to act has shown no strength, just calling a sole raise, and him folding (which he will do I'd guess 90% of the time unless he's an utter idiot) will give us a nice overlay in the pot.

So you agree all-in the first time is not a good play, but you're saying AQs could do with less competition and now the pot is bigger, so reraise without risking our whole stack to face just the short stack.

Then the only problem is if the calling big stack is one of those people who never raise and call all the way down with AA and we never know until the showdown. Unlikely I know.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played it well enough, but you still havent spoke french to me!

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played it well enough, but you still havent spoke french to me!

I'm currently 71 of 191th in a freeroll on pokerstars (10000 sign in).
If I finish that one in the 27 first positions, you will hear about it in French :p:D (man should write it in french and then translate to english, 2 * more work... :rolleyes: I will hate you if so KD :D)

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nah, je ne sais qua-whatever that means
Im currently 23 of 45 out of 2000 freeroll sattelite. top 10 win entries into big bucks game and some money. lets see who does the best, my little french crumpet!
(Im drunk)

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the preflop play was fine. Post flop I don't think I would have reraised all in. You are pretty sure to have the best hand here with no real draws against you. Vyette showed a willingness to bet so let her since you have position until the river. If she had Ace-jack ace-10 kind of hand you might have chased her away with the big all-in bet, you had no way of knowing she had a weaker 2 pair here, which is probably the only hand that could call you that you could beat. The other hands that would call this would be sets.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a freeroll, AJ/AT calls here like 90% of the time because as most freeroll players know, top pair is the nuts.

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"18ème sur 10000. Et en route pour le weekly." (for those you took interest of what that means please get in touch with KD he will tell you :D)

Enough french, couldn't say more that it was probably the best holdem game I ever played. Limping, bluffing and semi-bluffing, check raise... all works like in my dreams.
I've already seen it a week ago in another of these freeroll when I finished 61th of 5900 but my game play has been improved a lot since I read this forum (not as my english I'm afraid :D:p). Thanks to you all. ;)
Second time I've made it through Weekly Round. Let's see if I can get some money now !

Last edited:
KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"18ème sur 10000. Et en route pour le weekly." (for those you took interest of what that means please get in touch with KD he will tell you :D)

Enough french, couldn't say more that it was probably the best holdem game I ever played. Limping, bluffing and semi-bluffing, check raise... all works like in my dreams.
I've already seen it a week ago in another of these freeroll when I finished 61th of 5900 but my game play has been improved a lot since I read this forum (not as my english I'm afraid :D:p). Thanks to you all. ;)
Second time I've made it through Weekly Round. Let's see if I can get some money now !
18th of 1000. And on route to the weekly?
Well played nicoiko, excellent work.
I came 32nd out of 2000, top 10 qualified!
And thankyou for the french, it does me wonders!
Will be over there in the south next month

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty borderline whether you re-raise or just call pre-flop. I'd probably just call. AQ suited is more of a drawing hand than the big pairs so I'd tend to wait and see what the flop brings, and decide whether to commit more chips.

On the other hand you'll be out of position for the rest of the hand so a re-raise could work better.

AK or a big pair I'd definitely re-raise, but AQ I'm not too keen on.

On the flop, a more moderate raise would usually get more money in the pot.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad I feel the same way as you Bombjack about AQ. It's one of those hands that sometimes leads to trouble. Ok if you flop a Q, and sometimes an A, but still you have to be weary of the guy with AK. AQ, AJ, AT have gone down in my estimation lately, they're not the killer hands that people seem to think they are.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands