QQ v AK, button V SB

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Total posts
This isn't about my flawless fold but the two people in the hand.

Does someone have to go bust here?

***** Hand History for Game 6250897764 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 35081095 Level: 2 Blinds(30/60) - Sunday, August 19, 13:11:13 ET 2007
Table $300K Guaranteed Sunday (1117225) Table #89 (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: sundaypoker2 ( 5,540 )
Seat 2: Marklund ( 4,790 )
Seat 3: Rocqoel ( 5,110 )
Seat 4: butsoni ( 5,500 )
Seat 5: LouSaman ( 4,570 )
Seat 6: Stone_Snake ( 5,300 )
Seat 7: FustigateMe ( 3,940 )
Seat 8: MK_CK_MTK ( 6,080 )
Seat 9: FarzadTejani ( 3,480 )
Seat 10: Irexes ( 5,590 )
Trny: 35081095 Level: 2
Blinds(30/60)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Irexes [ 6h Js ]
FarzadTejani folds
Irexes folds
sundaypoker2 folds
Marklund folds
Rocqoel folds
butsoni folds
LouSaman folds
Stone_Snake raises [180]
FustigateMe raises [770]
MK_CK_MTK folds
Stone_Snake is all-In [5,120]
FustigateMe is all-In [3,140]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9d, Jd, 4h ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6c ]
** Dealing River ** [ Th ]
FustigateMe shows [ Ks, Ad ]high card Ace.
Stone_Snake shows [ Qd, Qs ]a pair of Queens.
Stone_Snake wins 1,360 chips from side pot #1 with a pair of Queens.
Stone_Snake wins 7,940 chips from the main pot with a pair of Queens.
Player FustigateMe finished in 1,296.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Total posts
They certainly dont have to go bust here, but invariably they always seem to get there money in on a 50/50 in these tournies. I hate getting all my money in with AK, I would definately like to be holding the PP in this postion.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Total posts
QQ on the button has to raise, SB OOP has to repop as AK plays best preflop.

QQ probably needs to 4 bet to show that it's not a steal, but does that mean a push? With these stacks I guess so.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Total posts
Big Lame

No the guy w/ A K didn't have to go out like that. A K is overplayed too too much & when the guy w/ the QQs reraised his reraised he should've known he was beat. That was just inexperience on the A K guys part. Never ever ever overplay A K...i have a thread on it. Instead of being named Big Slick it should be named Big Lame.

J

joeeagles

Total posts
Does it "have" to be? No, not necessarily IMO.

The SB should reraise with his AK faced by a button raise. Of course there was no need to reraise to 770, I think 540 would have been fine, which leaves him with 3400 (50+ BB's).

When he then gets 4bet all-in he can get away from this considering that the shove has him covered and it has to mean he's racing at best, because unless the button is a real aggressive maniac it's hard to think you're dominating anyone with AK at that point. I'm not saying its an easy fold for the SB but its far from impossible with the strength shown by the button and the way the betting went.

That's just my opinion.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Total posts
Going to assume they've been reasonably tight and not maniacs.

Given what he put into the pot, that he's getting like 1.5:1 and that its BTN vs SB, the call seems alright, if not marginal. The mistake in the first place, as joe pointed out, was probably the reraise size. If he makes it 540, he can get away from a shove, assuming player reads deem that necessary.

If stack sizes are a little shorter, I'm completely fine with felting AK here. But stacks were very deep and he got over 60 BBs in the pot with AK, which, even in this situation, seems like a bit much to me without a strong player dependent read

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Total posts
Does it "have" to be? No, not necessarily IMO.

The SB should reraise with his AK faced by a button raise. Of course there was no need to reraise to 770, I think 540 would have been fine, which leaves him with 3400 (50+ BB's).

When he then gets 4bet all-in he can get away from this considering that the shove has him covered and it has to mean he's racing at best, because unless the button is a real aggressive maniac it's hard to think you're dominating anyone with AK at that point. I'm not saying its an easy fold for the SB but its far from impossible with the strength shown by the button and the way the betting went.

That's just my opinion.

I forgot this one :)

Joe's thoughts echo my own. People ask me about reaching the business end of tournies and I think a big part of it is that I don't rush to commit all my chips with AK. There is a time to do so of course, but it's not something to be invited.

I like a reraise preflop, but it should be possible to fold to a reraise push here.