* * UTG+1 calls [40]
* * 2 players fold.
* * bentheman87 raises to 220 BTN raises to 720
* * 4 players fold.
* * bentheman87 calls [500]
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 1580
Flop: K♦ 5♠ 4♦ Hero checks BTN bets [400]

This was the fifth hand of the sng, is this a fold preflop? A reraise?

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to either shove the flop if you think you're ahead, or fold to the reraise. Also, your opening raise was 5.5 x BB--this makes it more difficult to consider folding to a reraise for many players, as they already feel so invested. A more standard 3-4x would have been fine.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FWIW - If you are going to play this I think you need to shove it preflop - his raise is already commiting half your stack if you call anyway. Otherwise fold and wait to see. His raise could be a AK AQs, JJ, maybe even 10's. I could live with it either way with a shove or a fold though I would probably shove and hope he turns over JJ or folds.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to either shove the flop if you think you're ahead, or fold to the reraise. Also, your opening raise was 5.5 x BB--this makes it more difficult to consider folding to a reraise for many players, as they already feel so invested. A more standard 3-4x would have been fine.

I thought so too until I saw there were two callers.

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is without a doubt, no question, hands down, 100% guaranteed a reraise all-in.

There are only 2 hands that have you beat AA and KK. The range of hands button raises to 720 with here is huge. Button can be making a move, might have AK, could have JJ. In fact, that strong of a reraise is usually not AA/KK because they want to keep you in the hand. Most of the time you will be way ahead here or coin flip at worst.

Button doesn't have you on QQ, he raises to 720 because he wants you to fold, he doesn't want a call.

Besides, you are first to act after the flop...with a stack of 1455 why would you even think about a call? What options do you possibly leave yourself post-flop after putting 50% of your stack in pot? Are you seriously going to check/fold if an A or K hits?

Well, I guess the answer is yes... you check and let the button bet 400. Why, why, why???

Just a bad play all around regardless of results. With QQ you push pre-flop here and if you do make a mistake an just call, you push after the flop regardless of what hits.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The range of hands button raises to 720 with here is huge.

um the range of hands the button raises half his stack preflop is not huge at all. Either shove or fold but sure as hell don't flat call. Since you raised so much preflop i'd probably shove (and probably cry when he turned over his hand). JJ/AK is the only thing you are really beating here but you have equity vs JJ+, AK.

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
um the range of hands the button raises half his stack preflop is not huge at all. Either shove or fold but sure as hell don't flat call. Since you raised so much preflop i'd probably shove (and probably cry when he turned over his hand). JJ/AK is the only thing you are really beating here but you have equity vs JJ+, AK.

I guess we disagree on the term "huge" or maybe it is the term "range". I'm not saying he is raising with 72o or even T9s, but I definitely don't pin him down to a small range of hands like JJ/AK. And JJ, he is crushing not just "only really beating" and AK is a coin flip with hero having the advantage. I really don't get the statement "the only thing you are really beating"....a better way to put it is there are absolutely, positively only two hands where you are behind and that is AA/KK. Given the huge re-raise I just don't see AA (although it is possible).

So if you compare the range of hands where QQ is dominated in this situation (1 hand KK), compared to the range of hands our hero has the advantage, it is in my opinion a much larger range, therefore I elect to use the term "huge".

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably have gotten out of it earlier before the flop. I would had bet 3xbb then let it go. The problem is that he may be a maniac and there are lots of them early and especially so in SAGs. The other option was shove pre-flop. That puts him on the spot and if he is a maniac, hopefully he lets it go and you take it down. The problem with QQ and JJ is that if either a A or K hits the board we may be beaten. The only real good outcome is if we see a Q on the flop. But since we are already in the position we are in the OP, I say that we have to let it go or shove. I notice that he didnt shove pre-flop, only committing half of his stack, so that may be a good sign. Without any info on the man though, I am inclined to let it go and live to fight again. The people on the front line die first, so decide whether you want the risk. You probably are a 50% coin-flip at the best, so if you do want to play it out, shove and see if the check raise scares him off. Especially so early in a SAG, I am inclined to let the other guys kill the maniacs off, while slowly stealing pots. I would rather not have a big showdown that early in.

Last edited: