QJ flops top 2pr facing all-in raise. Would you call?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's hand number 12. I've only been involved in one hand so if I have an image it's tight. Seat 1 has mucked preflop all but 1 hand.
Could you put him on K10? I'm working on my reads and considered it. I couldn't see the preflop call that weak. AQ ,a pair of 10's or ace flush draw was my read. Should I have folded to the all in?

Table: 12335356 (real money) Seat #4 is the dealer
Seat 1 - THATONYY ($1475 in chips)
Seat 3 - KILLERCANUCK ($1250 in chips)
Seat 4 - T4802B ($1675 in chips)
Seat 5 - MOUSE152 ($2260 in chips)
Seat 6 - TOMZ0RIAN ($830 in chips)
Seat 7 - BAUBE25 ($2680 in chips)
Seat 8 - DRHINZ ($1720 in chips)
Seat 9 - KSUFREAK ($1610 in chips)
MOUSE152 - Posts small blind $15
TOMZ0RIAN - Posts big blind $30
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to KILLERCANUCK [Jc Qc]
BAUBE25 - Calls $30
DRHINZ - Folds
KSUFREAK - Folds
THATONYY - Calls $30
KILLERCANUCK - Raises $150 to $150
T4802B - Folds
MOUSE152 - Folds
TOMZ0RIAN - Folds
BAUBE25 - Calls $120
THATONYY - Calls $120
*** FLOP *** [9c Jh Qh]
BAUBE25 - Checks
THATONYY - Checks
KILLERCANUCK - Bets $270
BAUBE25 - Folds
THATONYY - All-In(Raise) $1325 to $1325
KILLERCANUCK - All-In $830
THATONYY - returned ($225) : not called
THATONYY - returned ($0) : not called

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in with that flop seems like a set to me. I see alot of sets go all in especially if there are draws on the board and this is a draw heavy board. Most likely a set of 9s. As for your question, could he have K-10, sure he could, just because he has only played 1 hand in the last 12 only mean he's not a maniac. He could easily have been card dead, and sometimes players will play marginal hands like K-10 when they haven't seen anything in awhile. It's just as likley he has A-Q or K-Q here too, but i would have a set of nines in my mind mostly. It just seems to me that people online like to reraise all-in with sets. Having said that I'm not sure I would fold. What hands might he have pushed with here:

99, jj, qq, yes, all of which have you beat
K-10 yes, also has you beat
AK yes on the draw and over cards, you are ahead although a 10 beats you
AQ yes, thinking tptk is good and doesn't want you drawing.
I can't see any other hand pushing here unless as a bluff
AA or KK yes, but why didn't he raise preflop, although expecting someone to reraise with AA or KK online is a mistake. Way too many online players smooth call these hands and like to reraise with them after the flop when you make a continuation bet.
10, 10 possible thinking he has a pair and open ended straight draw

You lose to K-10, 99, JJ and QQ only
You beat AA, KK, AK, AQ, 10-10, KQ although all of these hands have outs to beat you
And of course you beat a bluff, which seems unlikely with this board. This board fits alot of hands and it's possible you could have hit the board hard in which case a bluff won't work.

(All the above is on the assumption that villan isn't a total brain dead donk)

So you can call and be drawing almost dead needing a jack or queen or call and be ahead with a decent chance of being drawn out on.

You have 930 left. It costs you 930 to possibly win a pot of 1550 (the additional money villan put in the pot doesn't count), less than 2-1.

Of course you left out some info, like is this an MTT, sit and go? What was the cost to play, $1 $100? This is important when you want to factor in the donk factor.

930 is still plenty left with $30 blinds so I think this is a fold. MY exception might be if this was a low cost large field MTT in which case I might take a chance early to double up or going out considering time equity. It takes a long time to play these tourneys and you need to accumulate chips. It's not a good value to play a tourney for 3-4 hours and go out on the money bubble. It's better to go out earlythen stick around a lojng time with a small stack.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep

squeeze play gone really really wrong, Even if you are ahead one person I doubt you are ahead of both. It think you can wait for a better spot here. Fold and wait.

Im guessing your bet on the flop was a blocking bet because it was 1/4 the total pot. You haven't invested that much yet so I think you can safely fold.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In further thinking I also forgot to add 2 randon hearts which you beat but have alot of outs to beat you.

Overall I think this is a fold.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
$10 sit n go.

Think I'm overthinking my reads. Been on a losing streak since I've really concentrating on them. When I was just looking for tightness and aggression I was on a real roll. Would have let that hand go. Maybe time to take a step back?

Great replies and much appreciated.

I

IGotDaFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a bad call

........But one that Ive been avoiding lately. With that board the nutz was trips, You bet out for info. and thats what you got, When you got put all in that say's something,......He let you know he had something, You said he was a tight player.:eek::cool::):party:

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I take it you called, what did he have K-10?

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QcJc

........But one that Ive been avoiding lately. With that board the nutz was trips, You bet out for info. and thats what you got, When you got put all in that say's something,......He let you know he had something, You said he was a tight player.:eek::cool::):party:

The nutz was not trips here. The nutz was K 10 o' hearts. I think you got a little to aggressive w/ your QcJc & should've just called preflop instead of raising that big w/ it. If you had just called the blind preflop and betting pot on flop, you wouldn't have been so pot committed when that guy went all in. You possibly could've made a laydown w/ the top 2 pair on flop thinking that maybe he had a set or a str8. I would rethink being that aggressive w/ your preflop hand & maybe you don't get in that position l8r on in the hand. GL on the tbls.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I take it you called, what did he have K-10?

it's pretty obvious from the OP that the other guy had KT.

i don't particularly like the pf raise - there are still a few players to act and you have a chance to get into a cheap multiway pot with a speculative hand as opposed to a shorthanded swollen pot.

other than that, what ms nake said. i like "the donk factor" and will proceed to steal it and use it repeatedly, too. :x

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
it was k10

It was K10o. Sorry, thought I put that in the HH.......DOH !!!

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I reckon he had K10.

The preflop raise is asking for trouble. You are going to get called by a lot of players who are not donks given the way the pot is shaping up that are going to be really hard to put on a range.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing QJs for a raise PF (which I personally wouldn't; especially with limpers who on doubt will want to see a flop), then you can't fold this flop.

I think you have to pay him off; there are too many hands that do this that you're ahead (QT, A9h, AQ, naked flush draw...i could go on...), and really not that many that have you beat (set, KT and T8).

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a
other than that, what ms nake said. i like "the donk factor" and will proceed to steal it and use it repeatedly, too. :x

Don't worry, i won't sue for plagurism (or however the hell you spell it).

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldve hated it but would have folded as said earlier even if you are ahead at the moment theres alot of ways youd end up on the short end