Push here?

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, this is an invitational freeroll for new depositers at CD Poker.

132 entrants. 2 from the FT, Cashbraker on BB seems to have played a pretty solid game, seen nothing silly from him. Phatz1979 however has been knocking players out left, right and even centre with crazy freeroll play. I've doubled a few times off of him with his calls with 2nd pair etc. He's loose-passive-aggressive.

I'm ITM and dealt KJs in SB. Phatz's call doesnt really matter to me, I know if I push, he'll call. Seen him call all-ins with 8-6s, 10-7s etc. Cash breaker i'm sure will fold.

Whats your move? Call & fold to a raise or no hits on flop or push and take blinds, hoping to double up from the freeroll donk?

Seat 3: Phatz1979 ($9,815.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 4: Vintage82 ($4,560.00 in chips)
Seat 6: CashBraker ($12,733.00 in chips)
Seat 7: kichn59 ($31,415.00 in chips)
Seat 8: jdogg36 ($2,125.00 in chips)
Seat 9: Mob06 ($8,880.00 in chips)
Vintage82: Post SB $400.00
CashBraker: Post BB $800.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Vintage82 [Jc Kc]
kichn59: Fold
jdogg36: Fold
Mob06: Fold
Phatz1979: Call $800.00

brown110

brown110

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably just call here and see if you couldn't hit some piece of the flop. If you can get any piece of it then go ahead and make a move... It's just 400 more chips to see a flop with a calling station acting after you. May as well see the flop, hope to get lucky, and get a big double up.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is the last thing you should be doing. You only have ~5BBs left and this is a push/fold situation. The decision between the two would depend on my read of phatz. Has he limped with big hands like AK or even big pairs before to trap? Or is he just trying to limp-steal with T8 or some trash?

If you think he's going to call with trash, then it's up to you if you want to gamble your tournament life on a 60/40 all in. I might wait for a better opportunity when I'm first in vs two tight players in the blinds.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any one of Phatz's moves made pre-flop had been folded, due to his reckless nature from the start of the tourny. Anything he raised was folded.

The general move throughout had been limp/call with any 2 soooted cards. I fancied it because the last things I had seen him showdown was 10-7s & 8-6s, as stated above. Only difference is with that stack, i'm lying about 9th in the tourny.

I am a gambler and given this stage, i'm ITM, and content to take $10 as a minimum, which usually means my aggression factor is high, knowing that many would tighten up this close to the FT.

I was just wondering if it was worth pushing just to collect the limp + BB (if both had folded) at this stage of the tournament or do you attempt to hold on and get to FT and go from there?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering if it was worth pushing just to collect the limp + BB (if both had folded) at this stage of the tournament or do you attempt to hold on and get to FT and go from there?

It should never be a 'fold to hold on until...' situation unless you're in a satellite where all the paid places are tickets and the payout doesn't rise as it gets closer to 1st. You should be playing for 1st and only 1st every time.

Here it's definitely worth pushing for the dead money (2000 chips) if you think you're getting your money in good. I'm leaning more towards pushing so this monkey gets to pay to see all 5 cards with 86s or whatever.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It should never be a 'fold to hold on until...' situation unless you're in a satellite where all the paid places are tickets and the payout doesn't rise as it gets closer to 1st. You should be playing for 1st and only 1st every time.

Here it's definitely worth pushing for the dead money (2000 chips) if you think you're getting your money in good. I'm leaning more towards pushing so this monkey gets to pay to see all 5 cards with 86s or whatever.

I agree with Chuck here. You have even kind of answered it in your first post with this:

Phatz1979 however has been knocking players out left, right and even centre with crazy freeroll play.

If he's slowplaying a big hand, then, well played by him and he's got ya. But if he is doing what you've seen him do all the way through, then you are a Favorite.

Phatz put his money in voluntarily, I'm not as worried about Cashbreaker, as he is a solid player and he'd have to pick up an absolute "monster" to call your push.

PopDog60

PopDog60

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it really depends if your playing to win, or just trying to hang on, because if you want to win then i think a push here is your best move..
If he does call with trash, well then just hope your K high holds, if everyone folds well then the blinds help u out alot... push / fold

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 5bbs, it's a freeroll, and you have two big stacks to your left - you don't really have any fold equity if you wait anyway so I'm happy to shove here as a likely ~60% favourite against villain's range and hopefully kill the action and isolate against him.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's slowplaying a big hand, then, well played by him and he's got ya.

I did push & he flipped AQo - the biggest hand I'd seen him play! Well done that man! :mad: