• Total voters
C

cjcgrafic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

Heres the situation, entered a £10 9 person sit and go at local club, first hand, im in first position with pocket queens, blinds are 100 and 200, i raise it up to 600, get 3 folds, then an all in (5500), 3 more folds then big blind all in as well, shud i call? because first hand had no reads on any players, but if won then would of had a third of all chips at table putting me in primer position for the win, anyway i called and first guy had A Q offsuit and big blind had AA, which held up, i spent ages deciding but shud i of layed it down as even if they had A K against my QQ only a marginal favourite, worth risking whole tournament? but then could have tripled up,
what you think?

Cheers
Chris

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For that starting stack, the blinds are way to high. You have a starting M of < 20. If the blinds double up each time, by the 2rd level it'll be a shove fest.

Anyway, I would fold this hand. A 3rd player calling an all in with a raise and shove before him is a big indicator of strength. There is a very good chance your QQ is beat at this point and its an easy lay down.

Against 2 other players all in, I dont want get involved. In fact, I wouldnt want get involved with 1 player all in when its the first hand. Especially if its a race situation at best. There is no reason to risk your tournament life that early on. However, after the blinds pass you, you would lost about 18% of your stack (assuming you fold and complete the SB) and the next level of blinds (assuming they double) would put you in the critical stack range of 10BBs or possibly less. So, I might actually call an all in if it was just against 1 person, but definitely not against 2.

So, I say fold, but be prepared to raise/shove any above average hand. Especially when blinds go up. Strategically, I'd probably even fold above average hands and let the other players knock each other out. Just shove with JJ+, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ hands. Then once its down to about 4 or 5 players, I'll open up my hand range and shove anything above average. By now blinds are probably too high to not shove anything better than garbage and the pots will increase your stack by a huge percent. Also, your shoves will probably cost the large stack to big a percentage of their stack to call you with anything less than a strong hand, allowing you to steal more. Your only concern would be another SS.

Actually, this is a bit of an interesting situation given the stack size to blind size. Im actually interested in what other players might've done.

Last edited:
bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I would fold this, but philthy got a good point, btw I was wandering is this like a turbo tourney?

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh ya next time you want some help and analysis on a hand, might not want to post results before you get answers, because now most people will just say fold, for example if you said the other player showed JJ and 10s and you won, then everyone would say easy call. You see what i mean?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands