pocket pair but short at last 2 tables

A

aubrey.murnaghan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
18 left in a 4500 field $22 bounty tournament on pokerstars. Most of table short stacked ranging from 8bb -40bb.

I’m sitting with 12bb on button with a $67 bounty which is around average at this stage.

Utg 22bb makes it 2bb. Utg +1 calls, same stack. I’ve 88 on button with 12bb.

Is this always a shove as one/both should be calling with their stack sizes and size of my bounty, or can a call ever be justified and re-evaluate on a flop of probably 10 high?

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that is a shove for sure---exactly what you are looking for in that position

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont think this is ever a call, since 88 dont play well postflop with short stacks. To many flops with overcards, where its difficult to continue especially against two opponents, and nowhere near enough implied odds to take a setmine. Most of the time this is an easy jam, but maybe it can sometimes be a fold, like if there is a payjump at 17, and someone at another table is really short.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, push and hope you win and double but throwing away such a hand with such a stack would be strange

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
18 left in a 4500 field $22 bounty tournament on pokerstars. Most of table short stacked ranging from 8bb -40bb.

I’m sitting with 12bb on button with a $67 bounty which is around average at this stage.

Utg 22bb makes it 2bb. Utg +1 calls, same stack. I’ve 88 on button with 12bb.

Is this always a shove as one/both should be calling with their stack sizes and size of my bounty, or can a call ever be justified and re-evaluate on a flop of probably 10 high?
At that stage of the tourney, calling with 88 in that position is a weak play. You should really be going all in

A

aubrey.murnaghan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers. Yep shoved . Just was wondering about other options on a safe flop as likely to be flipping v one & 3-4 overcards if both players call.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not the best scenario for an 88, but with that stack I don't think you have any other option but to shove.
Not to mention that if you reduce this stack further, even with several short players and the pressure from the icm for being close to the FT, you will run out of fold equity.
Shovo and if someone calls, I hope it's a flip. :)