Pocket Kings, multiway pot post-flop decision

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Total posts
$11 SNG, I am dealt pocket Kings. It's still early in the game, so I have no clear reads on any of my opponents. I'm third to act, and there is one limper. I have a slightly above average stack. I raise it up to 4 x BB and get 3 callers.

The flop comes 5c 9h 7c. I'm not worried about a possible straight. Villain makes a small bet (80), which is called by Sviny. I decide I need to ask the big question and raise it up to 600 (almost a pot sized bet). The villain to the left of me pushes all in. All villains call, and i'm left with the decision if my big pair is good enough. I decided it wasn't, and folded.

What do you think about my fold here ? And about the 600 chip question posed. Could I have gotten away with a lesser bet to get the same information ?

***** Hand History for Game (?) *****
NL Texas Hold'em $11 USD Buy-in Trny: 33123816 Level: 1 Blinds(20/40) - Friday April 27 07:36:33 ET 2007
Table Table 126544 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: ABID1974 ( 2 140 )
Seat 3: scareb77 ( 1 760 )
Seat 4: CatPie4 ( 1 620 )
Seat 6: Sviny ( 1 860 )
Seat 1: Hero ( 2 220 )
Seat 5: NekroNic73 ( 2 400 )
Trny: 33123816 Level: 1
Blinds(20/40)

Holecards:
Dealt to Hero [
clubK.gif
spadeK.gif
]
FOLD NekroNic73
CALL Sviny, 40
RAISE Hero , 160
CALL ABID1974, 160
CALL scareb77, 140
FOLD CatPie4
CALL Sviny, 120

Flop:
[
spade5.gif
heart9.gif
spade7.gif
]
BET scareb77, 80
CALL Sviny, 80
RAISE Hero , 600
ALL-IN ABID1974
ALL-IN scareb77
ALL-IN Sviny
Hero folds

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Total posts
I think this is fine. At best you're up against a lower overpair and a combo draw, to which you're flipping. You have to pot this flop for value and to protect your hand - don't think of it as a bet "for information", so betting less is out of the question. With you showing a lot of strength, and 3 players going all-in, I think you can fold this at an $11 tourney. You're likely to be up against a set and a flush draw and probably some donk with Jacks.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Total posts
I agree with Bombjack. You bet to win the pot correctly and protect your hand.

You got a load of resistence and at least one of those should have you beat. Its a good fold.

Think of it this way, if you find out that you were in teh lead you know a lot about your opponents and should be able to beat them later in the game. ( unless they get lucky )

Last edited:
R

Riedel

Rock Star
Total posts

Turn:
[
heart7.gif
]

River:
[
diam2.gif
]
scareb77 shows [
club7.gif
club9.gif
]a full house Sevens full of Nines .
Sviny shows [
spadeA.gif
spadeJ.gif
]a pair of Sevens .
ABID1974 shows [
heart5.gif
diam5.gif
]a full house Fives full of Sevens .
ABID1974 wins 280 chips from side pot #2 with a full house Fives full of Sevens .
ABID1974 wins 200 chips from side pot #1 with a full house Fives full of Sevens .
scareb77 wins 6,080 chips from the main pot with a full house Sevens full of Nines .
Sviny finished in 6 place.
#Game No : 5915178525

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Don't really care for the results to be shown since I know you played it perfectly, but it sure is satisfying to know that the 3 pushers all had good reason to play the flop like that. No donkaments here.

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Total posts
It was a very satisfying fold indeed. I knew I was beat by atleast 2 players. I raised 4xBB preflop to leave room for a little bit of action, and I got it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Total posts
This is a pretty routine fold - I know it 'looks good' when you correctly fold an overpair and stuff, but here and with this action the chances of you being ahead on the flop are certainly in single figures percentage-wise. Sure, someone could be an idiot with a draw, someone else could be a donk with A9 or something, but the chances of you being ahead of all three players is minute (and if you're behind you're obviously drawing to 2 outs, which isn't great ^^).

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Total posts
I know Dorkus. I'm just proud I learned to lay down big hands in these kinds of circumstances. I feel I've improved a lot over the past couple of months (and my bankroll agrees).

In the past, I would take being outdrawn very personal, get angry with the calling donk, and disregard the possibility they may have a decent holding. I considered this to be the biggest leak in my game.

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Total posts
Yeah would have folded on the flop because 3 players shoved and one has to have a straight a or set.