Pocket 7s in BB

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #11852267794: Tournament #60147034, $1.00+$0.10 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/09/03 - 16:09:36 (ET)
Table '60147034 3' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Jahdess (4225 in chips)
Seat 2: Bowie 2 (2200 in chips)
Seat 3: shulakah (1530 in chips)
Seat 4: $h!p It (1355 in chips)
Seat 5: jsirota (2360 in chips)
Seat 6: fr3dm4n (1880 in chips)
Seat 9: gabbahs (4745 in chips)
$h!p It: posts small blind 50
jsirota: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jsirota [7d 7c]
fr3dm4n: folds
gabbahs: folds
Jahdess: calls 100
Bowie 2: folds
shulakah: folds
$h!p It: calls 50
jsirota: ??????

Not much of a read on the two limpers. The first one won a couple of big pots i think. Maybe loose/aggressive, but too early to tell. Maybe just a good run of cards. No read on the SB. Havent been involved in much pots. My table image is super tight. Played one hand and won a big pot.

My first instinct is to just check to see the free flop. It's also tempting to stick in a big raise here and take down the $300 pot...

What would you do?

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd check since you have no position and see if you can hit your trips, but thats just me.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also check in this bad position, i agree with kmc1828.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a lot of chips and there is very little dead money in the pot, meaning the risks are high while he reward is actually small. You would have to raise to around 400 to win the 300 and this will not work a high enough % of the time :

Let's say everyone fold 50% of the time. This 50% of the time, we win 300. The other 50% of the time, we get called by either one or two of our opponents. I'd say that we win when we make a set and a good 10 other % of the time (straights, bluffing others, etc), so around 22%. The other 78% of the 50%, we lose, and we lose more than the original 400, while making more than the original 400 a very small number of times. IN LHE, raising here againt weak-tight opponents might be profitable.

Our equity against two people is to low for this move to be profitable in the long run, plus we'll likely be playing OOP.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars Game #11852267794: Tournament #60147034, $1.00+$0.10 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/09/03 - 16:09:36 (ET)
?

check.

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

jsirota: checks
*** FLOP *** [Kd Tc 6s]
$h!p It: checks
jsirota: ????

Well, i missed the flop. Now what? Pot is 300. The range of hands i'm up against here is too wide to even think about. I'm thinking a probe bet to see where i stand and maybe even take down the pot.

1. Check
2. Bet 100
3. Bet 150
4. Push all in!!!

Edit: change 2 to a 100 from 75, since that bet is impossible.

Last edited:
stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

*** FLOP *** [Kd Tc 6s]

Well, i missed the flop. Now what? Pot is 300. The range of hands i'm up against here is too wide to even think about. I'm thinking a probe bet to see where i stand and maybe even take down the pot.

1. Check
yes
2. Bet 75
no
3. Bet 150
no
4. Push all in!!!
hell no

you are playing for set value, why bet into a unraised pot?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tourney I would probe a half pot. In a ring game I would check. Main villain could easily be riding his big stack seeing cheap flops. SB was getting better than 4 - 1 odds to call into the limped PF pot. He should call that with ATC. A raise there could easily have dropped SB. Didn't happen, so you got no fresh info.

Now you need to know something. And you want to say something as well. If you check here and villain bets, what? You just about have to fold. If you bet here, and villain raises, well you got the info relatively stress free and you can lay it down. I expect SB to drop out of this.

I think you have to make a stab at this.

Last edited:
J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

jsirota: bets 150
Jahdess: folds
$h!p It: calls 150
*** TURN ***
:kd4: :10c4: :6s4: :10d4:

Ok, I didnt get the pot. But got some needed info. At this point i was thinking:

1. Villain most probably has a hand. There werent any reasonable draws on the flop.
2. Villain is probably not calling with bottom pair. Well, maybe A-6. Long shot...
3. The other 2 cards showing have me solidly beaten. I could be up against K-x, Q-T, J-T, T-9 or even K-T.
4. But he checked. Trap!!!
5. I think i stopped thinking at this point...

But thinking about it now, the check on the turn 'could' signify weakness. Maybe he's got K-x with a sh!tty kicker. Would a big bet here take down the pot?

:confused:

Pot is now 600.

What would you do?

1. Check
2. Bet 300
3. Bet 600
4. All in!!!!

Last edited:
J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

*** RIVER ***
:kd4: :10c4: :6s4: :10d4: :8s4:
twinkelz is connected
Jwain is connected
$h!p It: bets 300
jsirota: ?????

Pot is 900

Damn... Check on the river and now a bet. He's giving me 3:1 odds. Smells sucker bet. But those odds are sooooo tempting to call. Soooooo easy to just click the call button. Musssst resssssiiiist....

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding is the correct play BUT

I might call just to see.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's an old saying that goes: "Don't go broke into unraised pots".

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

*** RIVER ***
:kd4: :10c4: :6s4: :10d4: :8s4:
twinkelz is connected
Jwain is connected
$h!p It: bets 300
jsirota: ?????

Pot is 900

Damn... Check on the river and now a bet. He's giving me 3:1 odds. Smells sucker bet. But those odds are sooooo tempting to call. Soooooo easy to just click the call button. Musssst resssssiiiist....

I might like the call button since he's c/ced up until you finally gave up, so it seems like a trashy bluff to me. Gordon wrote about a hand like this in the blue book (villain c/ced, underbet river, Gordon smelt bluff). Don't know if you can actually pull this off, but I would say something like fold 80%, call 20%. Perhaps expect to see bottom pair or QJ.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call.

For all the world it looks to me like sb came in with A-rag, possibly A-6. His stack size coming in suggests he is not a discriminating player, and will carry an A to the river. He gets unlucky more often than he gets lucky.

If he is slow playing a K or T, then you have the read you need to proceed against the guy.

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm getting the odds, but a quick look at my stack tells me that a call drops my stack to like 1700 if villain is trapping with K or T and is just trying to suck bet here. Of course if he's on a bluff with nothing or A-6 i'm up to almost 3000.

The time clock is ticking down...

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jsirota: calls 300
*** SHOW DOWN ***
$h!p It: shows [:qs4: :10h4:] (three of a kind, Tens)
jsirota: mucks hand
$h!p It collected 1200 from pot

<----- Slaps himself on the forehead: DOH! SUCKER!!!!

I'm on full tilt now, but manage to throw away pocket rags in SB (4-8os). Then very next hand pick up KK on the button. See next thread: part II, KK on the button...

There's nothing special about this hand or the next one. I dont think i made any "technical" mistakes. Well that call was probably a mistake in terms of call relative to stack size. This and the next hand i'll post are just typical situation i find myself in and probably the biggest leaks in my game.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At small stakes, those tiny river bets are almost never bluffs. Easy fold on the river, and easy checks all the way down. That board's just too likely to have hit someone, and we should be happy to see a showdown.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's unfortunate I saw this late, so now it looks results oriented, but it smelled like he had a T all the way with his flop check/call, and the check on the turn hoping to get you to bet again. The other possible candidate was QJ but, as said above, tiny river bets at small stakes are rarely bluffs. The Kx isn't impossible but a very very high % of times it will bet the flop and not worry yet about getting outkicked by a better K, making Kx much much less probable than the other 2 hands. The Tx was the most likely, enough to fold on the river.

Villain did a poor job in trying to hide his hand, it looked exactly what it was.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow... quite a predictament, but i would have to tackle the flop. You've probably got the best preflop hand. Go for it and take it down.