VILLAIN shows three of a kind, Aces
HERO shows two pair, Aces and Kings
VILLAIN wins the pot (7,140) with three of a kind, Aces
HERO stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 7,140 | Rake 0
Board: [Ah Ac 8h 9c 3c]
Seat 1: HERO (big blind) showed [Kh Ks] and lost with two pair, Aces and Kings
Seat 2: gethitched1230 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: laventelp2 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: Gamblin-RN didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: tornado 1 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Subelo didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: fogcity didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: bigtex21 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: VILLAIN (small blind) showed [2d As] and won (7,140) with three of a kind, Aces

what went wrong? could I have play any different? :confused:

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a suggestion for future threads: when you post a hand, you'll usually get better discussion if you leave off the results or cut the post short where you start to have questions. For example, you could have posted:
$10 MTT
Table 40 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em -

Seat 1: HERO (3,570)
Seat 2: gethitched1230 (2,060)
Seat 3: laventelp2 (8,025)
Seat 4: Gamblin-RN (2,232)
Seat 5: tornado 1 (4,725)
Seat 6: Subelo (2,160)
Seat 7: fogcity (2,040)
Seat 8: bigtex21 (2,320)
Seat 9: VILLAIN (7,499)
VILLAIN posts the small blind of 60
HERO posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Kh Ks]
gethitched1230 folds
laventelp2 folds
Gamblin-RN folds
tornado 1 folds
Subelo folds
fogcity folds
bigtex21 folds
VILLAIN raises to 240
HERO raises to 720
VILLAIN calls 480
*** FLOP *** [Ah Ac 8h]
VILLAIN checks
HERO ????
Doing this will help you work through the hand in a logical sequence as it played out instead of getting all knowledgeable feedback based on the complete hand. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Do you have any reads on villian? I would bet the flop here. Everyone is trying to be tricky in poker these days and in a $10 tourney so many people flopping trip aces will immediately check. If he calls the flop bet then you need to slow down. Most players (even crappy ones) won't call a bet on that flop without an ace.

As played, I would fold to his turn push. Watch for a bit and you'll see this check, bet, push pattern happen quite bit out there and in most cases he has it. The check on the flop is him going slow so as not to scare you away. After you check, he looks for value by betting less than 1/2 the pot. You min raise telling him you have something worth holding on to, so he pushes expecting a call. Hence, on this line, I have to fold to the turn push. That way I still have chips left to make a better play elsewhere.

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say at the flop, you need to determine whether you're beat or not.

If you believe you're beat, fold. If not, push the rest of your chips in. There's no point in letting it get to the turn, you're just risking getting outdrawn.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking at this guy's chipstack and the blinds being 60/120 I'd say he's likely a very aggressive player who's already gotten lucky a few times. That said he's often on an inferior holding, to call your reraise though I'd expect him to either have an ace probably decent kicker or at least suited or a PP though depending on how loose he is some random suited connectors. The check on the flop indicates to me he doesn't have a PP or an 8 or he'd quite likely make a feeler bet wanting to find out if you have an ace (depending on what type of player hard to tell with only one hand). So I'd say he most likely has either an ace, with a small chance of a pair less than 8 or a hand that completely misses like 9T or something similar. I think you need to make a small bet on the flop for several reasons:
1. He may have missed completely and fold (quite possible from someone who's playing a lot of hands)
2: Get a heart draw to fold if he has something like QhJh (unlikely I know from someone this maniacal and a pot this large)
3: Get information as to whether he has an ace (primary reason)
4: (Unlikely if he's so aggressive, but) lay down an ace with a small kicker thinking you have a big kicker with your aggression preflop and a bet that makes it look like you're peddling trips

The downside is of course that he may have trips and you lost more chips. But I think the flop bet is a good idea here since he likely has a wide range of possible hands.

GENUCOM

GENUCOM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any reads on villian?
not really but this was his 5th hand he played in a row

I thought I was trapping him. Thinking with 2 aces on the board
he may not have one in his hand.

Thinking I had him, I only re raised to 1200 hoping with his big stack
he would come over the top trying to buy the pot.

:(

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The initial raise pre-flop was him telling you have have a a decent hand probably with an A, the reraise by you told him you had a pocket pair.
With the flop being AAx and him holding an ace, told him he had the best hand. So I think you should have bet at the flop to see where you're KK stood. You can have lay it down on the turn or river if he throws a big bet.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't raise the bet on the turn, fold to any bet on the river.

Raising the turn does nothing. No one with an ace is laying that down. Villain had the weakest ace possible (A2), and he still didn't lay it down to aggression. Raising is just burning money. If they're not holding an ace, get to showdown and beat them. If they are holding an ace, save your $ by not raising.

You could have also bet this flop, as it'd be an easy & cheap way to show some aggression. However, if anyone calls, you're done with the hand. You don't really have a stack deep enough to make/call more than 1 bet at this pot.

Last edited: