Playing a dangerous game

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final table. 9 players remaining, top 5 paid. Total chips 200,000.

Villian1 is loose aggressive, capable of making bluffs. He'd shown a big one a few hands earlier.
Villian2 is also loose, but a bit more passive, and imo not as strong a player as villian1.

Blinds: 600/1200
Hero: ~35,000
Villian1: ~40,000
Villian2: ~20,000

Dealt to Hero UTG: KK

SB 600
BB 1200
Hero calls 1200 (i usually don't do this with AA/KK/QQ here, but did for 2 reasons. 1, it can't hurt to mix your play up a little. 2, there's been quite a few preflop raises already on this table.)
Villian2 calls 1200
Villian1 calls 1200
SB completes 600
BB checks (damn, not what I wanted)

Pot: 6000

Flop: 4s 9h Th

SB checks
BB checks
Hero checks (i want someone to bet into this, with the intention of pulling a check raise)
Villian2 bets 3000
Villian1 raises to 10000
SB folds
BB folds
Hero shoves all in
Villian2 folds
Villian1 spends a while, asks who was in the blind this hand, bizzarely disregards the fact that i was utg, calls, and turns over JT.

I survive turn and river and get a nice pot.

The question here is was I lucky to get away with this? Should I have folded my kings to the raise on the flop? I was obviously happy with the result, but not entirely sure this was a good move.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you're prepared to lose to T9s, it's fine.

'Can't fault limping UTG if there's been a lot of raising. You hope someone else will raise and you can repop preflop.

Checking that low but drawy flop is more dangerous, I think. But again, if the table's been aggressive it's a valid play, again as long as you're willing to risk being behind with few redraws.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With known loose players behind and early position I like a 4-5x raise. Loose players may call as they'll think the 4-5x raise was a middle pair. You didn't say what your image was on the table and that could make a difference. If you were seen as a tight nit than the UTG limp would have set off all sorts of alarms to me.

F

frykas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wont call this with two raisers and no info with beting... two pair, str draw, flush draw.. can kick ur ass.. somehow i believe that u ran in 9 t but cought runing 4? or even flush?

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wont call this with two raisers and no info with beting... two pair, str draw, flush draw.. can kick ur ass.. somehow i believe that u ran in 9 t but cought runing 4? or even flush?

I didn't call anything, I shoved.

Two pair is obviously a risk, as is a set. A straight draw/flush draw is an excellent result.

I posted the results in the initial post, did you not see them?

W

wobuffet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's quite an odd play from Villian, but I guess you have to expect that.

Is this a home game? Paying 5 out of 9 players seems a big excessive...

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's quite an odd play from Villian, but I guess you have to expect that.

Is this a home game? Paying 5 out of 9 players seems a big excessive...

No, final table of a MTT

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You probably got a bit lucky to get away with this. HOWEVER! As you have probably heard or read before, you will need to get lucky in any tourney. The trick is to put yourself in position to get lucky.

Given the situation as you described, you did fine. Your read on villain payed you handsomely.

It would have been more interesting to post this hand without the results.

Top 10 Games