Opine preese

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raised 3xbb preflop (people have been folding pretty consistantly to that type of raise so far)
He bets the flop and I shove over the top....yes I was trying to bluff the pot.
Even so...how does he call with Q9?
Did it just look to obvious?
If he had a J, or maybe AQ I could see the insta-call but Q9?
I'm TAG up to this point.
Go ahead tell me what a donk I am, I think I can take it......think.....
yes I should have folded to the flop bet I guess but don't you gotta find out sometimes if they are holding something? I actually thought AK looking to get a straight or something like that....or just like he had Q/weak kicker......I just don't see calling all your chips off with a nine unless my bet just screamed bluff. If it did.......what could I have raised to to make him think "oh crap he has a J or AQ or something"?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_18 Mar. 31 12.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_18 Mar. 31 12.31.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How late in the game are we here? And what is this from? SNG or MTT?

Uh, ok, your shove over the top to that board? I know you said you wanted to see if he had it, but still, not even close to the right play. You can't just push over the top of people every time you want to see if they have it.

I understand you were playing TAG up to this point, but still, table reputation doesn't do much for someone not really paying attention to the play going on and just playing their own cards, lots of people do this in the early stages of an SnG or MTT. Also, even if he was paying attention, he might just be a very loose, and very inexperienced player who always thinks TPLK is an unbeatable hand. There are way too many possibilities that have him call that with Q9.

OK, I know I never would have called a push over the top of me with just Q9, but lots of players would in that situation. I understand you're a bit mad at the call, I would be too, but look at your play in this hand, and well, you have no one to fault but yourself.

If you're push works, and you win the pot, you win a fairly small pot that probably won't affect your overall standings or finish in the tourney. But if you push and get called, like you did here, unless you suck out you're out. No second chances. You can't make that kind of play in this situation, unless you had a read on him knowing that he was bluffing and that he'd fold, this play is just not a solid play. Even if you're fishing for information, there's no need to commit your entire stack on a bluff. The play wasn't worth the pot size and the possible results that would ensue from the play weren't even close to worth it. Sorry, but in this case, you made the mistake.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All this is another "caught with the hands in the cookie jar." You made a power play and got called. I don't think it is a horrible play because if you don't have a J then you really should think about folding.

I see people call these when they have recently been pushed off another pot. They are just fighting back and don't want to look to weak but just have had enough. He may just have thought you were bluffing and called you on it, putting you on AK or something.

Last edited:
F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree whole heartedly, and I'm more confused with the call then mad......
You are right, this was the play that ultimately began my downslide to finishing 17th in this game.
I post these idiot donk hands of mine so
#1. maybe some other beginner has the same situation come up and remembers not to do the same thing.
#2. find out in what situation this play might work.
#3. find out who calls with Q9 in this situation cause I fold it in a heartbeat to a shove.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree whole heartedly, and I'm more confused with the call then mad......
You are right, this was the play that ultimately began my downslide to finishing 17th in this game.
I post these idiot donk hands of mine so
#1. maybe some other beginner has the same situation come up and remembers not to do the same thing.
#2. find out in what situation this play might work.
#3. find out who calls with Q9 in this situation cause I fold it in a heartbeat to a shove.

To #2, it depends on the person you're playing against. Against a conventional tight player, they would fold without even thinking about it like you said you would do so yourself. However, there are more than enough players out there that would call with just a Q9 or Qx-lowkick, that you just shouldn't make this play.

But nice of you to post it anyhow, I'm not criticizing your overall play Freak, just your play in this hand.

Yes it could have and should have worked, but the pot you would have won wasn't worth the risk of losing all or most of your chips.

GReaper

GReaper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm missing it, but what were the relative stack sizes in this hand? I know I'm looser against players I'm trying to eliminate from my table. If I have a 10000 stack against a 2000 stack pushing, I'll call them with lesser cards than I might someone with a 10000 stack betting 2000...

And maybe you had been tipping your hand based on previous play? Or maybe he thought QQJJ looked delicious and nutritious... Even if you thought he might have AK, your 55 on the flop gets busted by an A, a K, or a 10 and a Q counterfeits your 5s (thus you can assume he, looking at his AK thought he had at least 10 outs on two more cards)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without all the details (pot-sizes, blinds, etc) you have to consider that he must be playing something as he called your 3BB raise and so even if he only had a mid-pp you would only be beating 22,33,44.

Could be as well that if the table has been playing tight, he decided he was going to defend his BB and got lucky on the flop.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q 9 lol,, reminds me of yesterday in our bodog buyin, i think it was list that raised, so i folded Q 9,,, Flop came up Q 9 Q,,,, took a deep breath and went on with the game,,lol,, wish i was a donk and stayed in,,lol,
buck:D