HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the hand below.

Game # 52544125: Texas Holdem No Limit (100/200) 06/02/2005 13:47:35
Table "T855795-8" (Tournament Table) Seat 5 is the button
Seat 1: Devilpoker78 (5440 tournament chips)
Seat 2: notfit66 (8653 tournament chips)
Seat 3: £º®DfåN (3600 tournament chips)
Seat 4: loonybin911 (6597 tournament chips)
Seat 5: puigyalsa (1200 tournament chips) [button]
Seat 6: X Goober X (3567 tournament chips)
Seat 8: NDaMony (2040 tournament chips)
Seat 9: xdmanx007 (4790 tournament chips)
X Goober X: posts small blind 100 tournament chips
NDaMony: posts big blind 200 tournament chips

>>> HOLE CARDS <<<
Dealt to NDaMony [2h Ts]
xdmanx007: folds
Devilpoker78: folds
notfit66: folds
£º®DfåN: folds
loonybin911: folds
puigyalsa: calls 200 tournament chips
X Goober X: folds
NDaMony: checks (Ok, I am not near bold enough to go all in preflop with a Doyle Bronson. In retrospect I might have been able to steal the blinds. But, watching this person after that big loss that kept me from being in the money I wonder if it would have worked at all).

>>> FLOP <<< [5c Td 9h]
NDaMony: bets 1840 tournament chips and is all-in

What would you have bet here I had top pair with a bad kicker. I didn't put this guy on a 10 so I was sure I had him. But just in case I had think he might have something 87 off or suited or even a QJ that I knew was highly unlikely. I also new he/she couldn't have trips here. So, what should I have bet to knock this guy out? I mean he had Q9 off an he/she called the blinds even with only 2 of use that was not to great a move. 2x the pot? I was worried I would get called any way. Should I have just plain checked and folded when the q popped up? There had to be a better way to play this hand so I wouldn't lost a big chuck of my chips to this guy sucking me out. Or was it even a suck out. Did I just play the whole hand wrong? Would you have called your last 1000 chips to with 2nd pair on the flop to an all in raise? I mean is that a really good spot. The Blinds had just passed this guy. should he/she have waited for a better spot? Or was it time for him/her to gamble? That goes back to whether i should have bet all in on the flop to push him out? I mean There was a draw on the board. I didn't need this guy calling with 87 and busting me out.

puigyalsa: calls 1000 tournament chips and is all-in
NDaMony: uncalled bet (840 tournament chips) returned
>>> TURN <<< [5c Td 9h] [Qh]

>>> RIVER <<< [5c Td 9h Qh] [7s]

>>> SHOWDOWN <<<
puigyalsa: shows [9c Qd] (two pairs, Queens and Nines)
NDaMony: shows [2h Ts] (a pair of Tens)
puigyalsa: collects 2500 tournament chips from the pot

>>> SUMMARY <<<

Well that put me an a big Tight tilt. I had J10 the next hand but there was a 4000 chip raise. It is hard to me to think even with my stack I should call a 4000 chip raise. And I will never know since no one called that bet. A few hands later I had Q4 off that would have gotten 2 pairs. But folded that preflop. I got blinded out to a final hand of 64 off and lost with 2 pairs.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember that hand! First,Technically speaking your opponent probably should not have called. Now your mistake was over aggression you didn't leave yourself an out, with a very weak hand. Plus your opponent was short stacked against the blinds only 6xBB so players in this situation HAVE to make calls they may not like, your opponent on the short stack decided to take a shot and got lucky. Another mistake was at the point you fired all in the amount of chips in the pot was not large enough to be worth your move. At that point you bet 1800 to win 400 not good. I would have either pot bet or "checked" and folded to any raise or bet. Now I am a big endorser of bulling short stacks around but you also have to remember it was still a freebie so you HAVE to expect weak calls and getting drawn out on more because your opponents have nothing invested so they will play much more loosely. You didn't get sucked out on you just played a bad hand too aggressively. FYI I too got tilted in the tourney against a COMPLETE suckout, big hand and wasn't the same after, and took out 2 good players on pure luck when I really just wanted it to end cause I couldn't get that suckout hand out of my mind and knew I wasn't going to win, in that frame of mind! Oh BTW be very leary about playing BB top pair with bad kickers they will get you into alot of trouble TRUST ME!

T

tmccauley06

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no matter what, top pair isn;t gauranteed to hold up, especially against your 2 kicker

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
xdmanx007,

As I do often, in hindsite, I realised it was poor play on my part. After getting over being steamed I got beat by Q9 off. I guess we both played that hand bad and one of use just got luckier than the other. I was already a bit on tilt which happens when I a long stretch with junk hands. Live and learn. Thanks for the input.

And TM,

Yes, I know top pair is even AA loses. And you can't have a much better kicker than another A in your hand. LOL.

I just got out lucked. and like XD said. I didn't leave myself and out. Which is not a good idea with my whole tournament life at stake.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your opponents call of the all-in bet is not bad. He probably didn't put you on a 10, a lot of players might push all-in there with AK, AQ, AJ, etc. with a board with no paint. If I was in his spot, I would have called with second pair there too.

Should I have just plain checked and folded when the q popped up?

- Absolutely not, how the hell would you know that the Q helped your opponent? Your bet on the flop was fine, your opponent made a good call with his remaining chips most likely figuring you were trying to steal the pot and he had the best hand. He got lucky, hit one of his 5 outs and beat you. Suck it up and play on.

"I had J10 the next hand but there was a 4000 chip raise. It is hard to me to think even with my stack I should call a 4000 chip raise. And I will never know since no one called that bet."
- If you thought your J-10 was the best hand here, #1 you would most likely be wrong, and #2 why didn't you push your last 850 chips into the pot if you thought you had the best hand...

A few hands later I had Q4 off that would have gotten 2 pairs. But folded that preflop.

- Don't look back in retrospect at a hand that you would have gotten lucky with. Your fold with Q-4 was good and don't kick yourself for not playing that hand, you will not get lucky with a hand liek Q-4 that often.

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10-2

You did overbet 10-2 after the flop. That being said, if you had bet less, at least one person would likely call with a 2nd pair. So really, the best thing would have been to check. I know you had top pair, but with as weak a kicker as you had, you were on thin ice. I'd say all-in after the flop, but we all know there are so many "fools" out there and one would have likely called anyway.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands