$ NL HE MTT: Satellite to $11 Sunday Million sat.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This is a freeroll tournament that give 25 $11 tickets to a daily Sunday million sat. We are 53 players left and I am at this point a little above average in stack.

BB just lost against me a big chunk of his stack when he shoved 77 vs my AA. So for the last 3 hands he was shoving every hand and got lucky and double up.

What would you guys do here?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 10,000/20,000 (2,000 ante) - 8 players

UTG: 321,741 (16 bb)
UTG+1: 174,542 (9 bb)
MP: 180,540 (9 bb)
MP+1: 189,232 (9 bb)
CO: 113,958 (6 bb)
BU (Hero): 284,720 (14 bb)
SB: 131,030 (7 bb)
BB: 211,168 (11 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(46,000) Hero is BTN with 7 9
5 players fold, Hero raises to 40,000, 1 fold, BB calls 20,000

Flop: (106,000) 6 8 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 20,000, BB raises to 169,168 (all-in), Hero ?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You're either coin flipping or pretty dead in the water here when you call. I would be okay with stacking off here since it's a freeroll and you're going to reach the top 25 a lot when you win here.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop: You mention BB was jamming every hand recently, if that was the case then I would not be raising 97 suited here since I would be thinking this player is on tilt and will jam and our 97 suited is not the hand I want to go to war with even against a range of 72 off to AA. So in that regard, I would fold pre here. Also you say say you are above average stack which is usually is much higher than the median stack (which would be 27th place out of 53) so you are safely inside the top 25 is my guess so that would also not make me want to open 97 suited with a maniac behind.

Flop: Personally I am playing the safe route here (thats just me and my risk aversion in this spot which could be right or wrong) and just checking back and taking a free turn card. If were to bet any amount here it would be with the intention of never folding and again we have a sexy draw but we also only have 9 high right now so Im not loving having to call it off even though we do have a big draw. If I were to bet it would be for more than 20k since I would have the intention Im going with it... but I like checking back so much more.

As played on the flop you are still going against a wide range if he is the maniac you describe him to be and we have the big draw so I think we probably have to call it but hate it, especially in a satty.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a free satty though. And it is a satty to another satty.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You are only 11BB effective here, so the standard play is to open jam or fold, and even more so in a satellite, where ICM is a bigger factor. Normally this would be an easy jam for me, but if BB is on tilt, then I would want to jam a tighter range than normal, and in general we dont want to jam small suited connectors into people, who we think are calling to wide.

The min-raise here is a terrible play in my opinion. Maybe this can be ok, if BB is extremely passive and will either not defend his blinds or defend by calling and then check-folding most flops. But this is not the description, you gave. You say, he has been all-in the last 3 hands, and then why would he not move all-in again over your min-raise? The point is, you need an extremely good reason to min-raise here, and you had the exact opposite.

Flop
You flopped a 15-out combodraw, so at this point you are clearly committed to the pot. Yes its a paired board, but boats are an extremely small part of his range, especially since he would probably have jammed 66 and 88 preflop. Betting and checking are both fine here, but if you are going to bet, I dont want to make it only 20% pot. This might look weak to him and induce a jam, and you dont want him to jam, you want him to fold. But more importantly you should never have put yourself in this spot to begin with, since you should have jammed or folded preflop.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Pre flop: You mention BB was jamming every hand recently, if that was the case then I would not be raising 97 suited here since I would be thinking this player is on tilt and will jam and our 97 suited is not the hand I want to go to war with even against a range of 72 off to AA. So in that regard, I would fold pre here. Also you say say you are above average stack which is usually is much higher than the median stack (which would be 27th place out of 53) so you are safely inside the top 25 is my guess so that would also not make me want to open 97 suited with a maniac behind.

Flop: Personally I am playing the safe route here (thats just me and my risk aversion in this spot which could be right or wrong) and just checking back and taking a free turn card. If were to bet any amount here it would be with the intention of never folding and again we have a sexy draw but we also only have 9 high right now so Im not loving having to call it off even though we do have a big draw. If I were to bet it would be for more than 20k since I would have the intention Im going with it... but I like checking back so much more.

As played on the flop you are still going against a wide range if he is the maniac you describe him to be and we have the big draw so I think we probably have to call it but hate it, especially in a satty.

Yes I was above average, I was 12th with 53 left. That's why I put this hand here, since this is a satellite and I wanted to see your guys opinions and how everyone would play it.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Preflop
You are only 11BB effective here, so the standard play is to open jam or fold, and even more so in a satellite, where ICM is a bigger factor. Normally this would be an easy jam for me, but if BB is on tilt, then I would want to jam a tighter range than normal, and in general we dont want to jam small suited connectors into people, who we think are calling to wide.

The min-raise here is a terrible play in my opinion. Maybe this can be ok, if BB is extremely passive and will either not defend his blinds or defend by calling and then check-folding most flops. But this is not the description, you gave. You say, he has been all-in the last 3 hands, and then why would he not move all-in again over your min-raise? The point is, you need an extremely good reason to min-raise here, and you had the exact opposite.

Flop
You flopped a 15-out combodraw, so at this point you are clearly committed to the pot. Yes its a paired board, but boats are an extremely small part of his range, especially since he would probably have jammed 66 and 88 preflop. Betting and checking are both fine here, but if you are going to bet, I dont want to make it only 20% pot. This might look weak to him and induce a jam, and you dont want him to jam, you want him to fold. But more importantly you should never have put yourself in this spot to begin with, since you should have jammed or folded preflop.

Yes I agree I played it terrible. After I saw his hand it make sense to play it liker he did. Here is the full hand:

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 10,000/20,000 (2,000 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 321,741 (16 bb)
UTG+1: 174,542 (9 bb)
MP: 180,540 (9 bb)
MP+1: 189,232 (9 bb)
CO: 113,958 (6 bb)
BU (Hero): 284,720 (14 bb)
SB: 131,030 (7 bb)
BB: 211,168 (11 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(46,000) Hero is BTN with 7 9
5 players fold, Hero raises to 40,000, 1 fold, BB calls 20,000

Flop: (106,000) 6 8 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 20,000, BB raises to 169,168 (all-in), Hero calls 149,168

Turn:
(444,336) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (444,336) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 444,336

Showdown:
BB shows 3 3 (two pair, Eights and Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 48%, Flop: 31%, Turn: 43%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) shows 7 9 (a pair of Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 52%, Flop: 69%, Turn: 57%, River: 0%)

BB wins 444,336

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have a lot of equity in this hand, and with only 13 big blinds I think I'm just going to check this flop to see the turn and try to see the river as cheaply as possible to try to realize the equity in the hand.
I think it's really bad to bet on the flop, because that can happen, he shoves and we have to decide whether to call so that the two cards that will hit favor us.
And if it doesn't, we'll be practically eliminated from the tournament.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree with what the guys above said, we don't have a made hand, but potentially very strong, we don't know the strength of his hand, what do we want to achieve with this bet on the flop? Just such a reaction, especially from such an aggressive opponent. But in general, when I was in this situation, I called him all-in, the hand has too much equity.

Poker Tells