SB bets 1,600, UTG (Hero) folds, BU folds

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Why didn't you jam with 11 BBs and JJ?

You have no chips left to properly pay post flop and based on the pot, you cannot call but have to jam.

Since there are two overcards, a jam is quite risky imo. SB is the big stack on the table and could have called with any medium strength hand or may have a FD/SD here too.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
The standard play with 11BB is to open jam. The reason to min-raise is, if you think, there are very aggressive players behind, who will rejam to light. And then of course the intention is to beat them into the pot and hope to run good. However in a freeroll the exact opposite is usually the case. There will be lots of players, who still call, even when stacks are so short, that they should always jam or fold. As in fact both BTN and SB did here. And this is not, what you want with a hand like JJ. There are just two many boards with overcards, like the one that actually came, and then you are stuck in a low SPR pot with no clear idea of, what to do.

Flop
As played its fine to give up and fold, especially with two overcards against two opponents. It does open a bluffing opportunity for SB, but the way to fix that is to open jam preflop.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As said already this is a jam pre. Post flop as played I think a fold is fine as too easy for you to be beat. Having said that as the SB is the big stack he could be just trying to bully you but you would still have to worry about the button behind. This is why it's best to shove pre flop!

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't remember why I did not jam there. Maybe because we might have been close to the bubble....but if I stay and think about it, if we were close to the bubble I should have shoved and put pressure on them.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but if I stay and think about it, if we were close to the bubble I should have shoved and put pressure on them.
Exactly. Even without understanding the concept of ICM, when its near the bubble, most recreational players will intuitively understand, that they want to outlast a few more players and lock up that min-cash. So even they are typically not going to risk their entire stack or a big chunk of it, unless they have a real hand. Of course there will always be exceptions, but if someone call you with their 65s, because they are on tilt or have to go, thats cool as well. You are a 4:1 favourite, so you just wish them good luck, and most of the time you dubble up :)