$ NL HE MTT: How to play Kings on very wet flops?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Hi guys,

This is a hand from ClubGG from the VIP points leaderboard. So basically a freeroll where top 3 finishers win some VIP chips at the end of the month.

The table is 6-max and structure is very fast:
Starting stack is only 20 BBs and blinds rise every 5 min.

Table is down to 4 players, I (21BBs) get KhKc on BN. UTG folds, I raise to 2 BBs, SB folds, BB (13 BBs) calls.

BB has been playing a little fishy in other games, so he can basically have any 2 while calling in BB.

Flop (5.2 BBs): 7d8d8s - well darn it. 🤣

BB donks 1 BB, I raise to 4.5BBs, he calls.

Turn (14 BBs): 9d. So flush draw and most straight draws got there.

He donks 1/3 of pot. I decide to fold and live on with my 15BBs.

My question on this hand:
  • Pre-flop: due to effective stack (SB was also short), I could have also jammed but I decided against it to hopefully win a few more chips than just the blinds.
  • Flop: should I just have called, even if it might just have been a blocker bet? Was my raise too small?
  • Turn: Can I call here? I only have 4 outs against a potential straight or flush.

I am also wondering if he only had a 7 and assumed I have nothing but we'll never know. 😅

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Preflop
I prefer the 2x open than jamming as BB is not super short and we can 2x some weaker hands too.

Flop
I like the raise, it's a wet board but he could easily be donking worse and you dont want to give free cards on a wet board.

Turn
Villain has put in half their stack at this point (6.5 of 13) so seems like he is just going to go with his hand. A third pot should be nearly all his chips.

Ignoring ICM I would just get it in and hope for the best you only need to be good 25% of the time and I would expect to be v a fish who could be doing random things.

I am not a tourney player so not sure on considerations with ICM - if you call and lose you still have 8bb, so I might call but it is a rough spot as he could easily have an 8 or flush

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why not just ship it in over that min donk bet? Put max. ICM pressure on them. It's paying top 3.. no?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It's paying top 3.. no?
No, individual games only award some points and prizes only awarded at the end of the month.

I was 2nd with only few points difference to 1st and a slight buffer to 3rd. BB basically has very limited probability to end up in the prizes.

Why not just ship it in over that min donk bet?
Fair question! 🤔

Although not sure if ICM applies here, see above. And there were 7 players left, so FT bubble.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With KK we want action, so min-raising is clearly preferred over jamming for at least 13BB effective.

Flop
With an SPR of just around 2, I am generally happy to stack off with any overpair. If he has an 8 in his hand and flopped trips on you, then so be it. So I like raising here, and sizing seems fine, since it puts around half his stack in the middle setting it up, so you can jam turn for around 50% pot.

Turn
This was of course not the best card or for that matter the best action. He is essentially jamming for around half pot, so you need 25% equity to give him action ignoring any ICM-premium. I understand your fold, but personally I probably just stick with my plan and get it in on the turn. I think, a fishy opponent could sometimes be bluffing or sometimes overplaying a worse hand like T9, which just turned top pair. It would be much better to have Kd in your hand though, since that would give you a draw to the second nut flush. Or for that matter to have TT or JJ, which you block some straights and give you a straightdraw. So if you ever want to fold an overpair, then QQ-AA with no diamond are the ones to let go first.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We want to play exploit vs these V types-What preflop sizing adjustment would we use vs players who call too much?
When we see this flop how do we want to balance stack protection vs value with this ICM pressure?
How does the V lead effect the above balance?
On flop vs V who blocker bets then calls on this board can we delay our aggression to see a clean turn to protect our stack?
If we do raise targeting a 7 etc for value and folds can we use a more ICM based sizing like 3?
:unsure::geek:

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are willing to fold and the flop is not the best, why not keep the pot small and just call the 1BB bet.
if you are not willing to fold, then shove after flop, and let the other player do the thinking.

You have to have a strategy when you play