Need some help with my hand. Where did I go wrong.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I was hoping if I started this forum that I could get advised on where I’ve gone wrong.
I’ve just begun looking at poker theory so I’m very much a fish.
Go easy.

I’m big blind
A, 4 diamonds.
Mp1 raised one blind
I call, 5,6,7 and one of them was a diamond
I’ve a open ended straight, an out side chance of a flush and still the A so bet 3big blinds and get called
Out comes the 8 for a straight and player shoves all in. Half + my chips already in, so I called.
Player had 9,10. Was my play bad or bad luck?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something I learnt in the 1st book that I really studied about Holdem is that when you're drawing to a straight, while holding only one card at the bottom of the board, you need to think of it as a gutshot to the 3. Your outs to the 8 are very, very dangerous. Technically, yes, you have an open ender, but practically, what happened to you is definitely possible, and when all the chips go in, far more probable.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I see here is that you seem to be focusing only on your own hand, and not thinking much about what your opponent could have.

Every time you have a pre flop decision, you must consider several factors about your opponent:
1) how has your opponent been playing? Loose and aggressive? Tight and aggressive? Loose and weak? Tight and weak?
2) what is your opponents stack size relative to the blinds? (You may have heard that all pros refer to their stack as a certain amount of big blinds, rather than the actual stack size)

Answering these 2 questions will help you answer a 3rd, and most important question: what range of hands might my opponent have? When you try to determine what hand an opponent has, you never guess 1 hand and go with it, you guess a range of possible hands and play against that. As the hand plays out, certain factors and decisions by your opponent can help you narrow their range down to just a couple hands.

You also must consider several other factors regarding yourself:
1) what style have YOU been playing?
2) what is YOUR stack size relative to the blinds?
3) what range of hands might your opponent put YOU on?

NOW you are ready to make your first decision.

I gotta run right now, but I’ll return later to actually break the hand down and give you more feedback.

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something I learnt in the 1st book that I really studied about Holdem is that when you're drawing to a straight, while holding only one card at the bottom of the board, you need to think of it as a gutshot to the 3. Your outs to the 8 are very, very dangerous. Technically, yes, you have an open ender, but practically, what happened to you is definitely possible, and when all the chips go in, far more probable.
I couldn’t agree with you more.​
;)

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I see here is that you seem to be focusing only on your own hand, and not thinking much about what your opponent could have.

Every time you have a pre flop decision, you must consider several factors about your opponent:
1) how has your opponent been playing? Loose and aggressive? Tight and aggressive? Loose and weak? Tight and weak?
2) what is your opponents stack size relative to the blinds? (You may have heard that all pros refer to their stack as a certain amount of big blinds, rather than the actual stack size)

Answering these 2 questions will help you answer a 3rd, and most important question: what range of hands might my opponent have? When you try to determine what hand an opponent has, you never guess 1 hand and go with it, you guess a range of possible hands and play against that. As the hand plays out, certain factors and decisions by your opponent can help you narrow their range down to just a couple hands.

You also must consider several other factors regarding yourself:
1) what style have YOU been playing?
2) what is YOUR stack size relative to the blinds?
3) what range of hands might your opponent put YOU on?

NOW you are ready to make your first decision.

I gotta run right now, but I’ll return later to actually break the hand down and give you more feedback.
That would be great if you could break it down. Thanks

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday’s hand that got me,
MTT started with 3333 and was down to about 100 players.
Bb 20k and I’ve 150k
Only one called the preflop (175k mp1) and I was the btn with JJ
I’ve read not to trap and be happy to win a small pot so went all in.
I thought this was correct but got beat
Player called with A5o and obviously got lucky with the flop.
How would you play preflop? Maybe I should have bet 60k or 80k because they already had 20k in?

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cont (above)
But then again I want to win and probably should be happy to shove with JJ in late position and little action?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was my play bad or bad luck?

To be honest it was a little bit of both :)

Preflop
In tournament poker and even in cash games the first thing, you always need to look at, is stack size. In this hand you must have started with only a little more than 10BB, if half your stack was in the middle already on the turn. This mean, you should be doing a lot of rejamming preflop. A hand like A4s is perfect for rejamming, because it block hands like AA, AK and AQ, and it does not play well postflop, when your stack is short. He probably fold a hand like T9 then, and you chip up significantly without needing to win at showdown.

Flop
Rather than leading out, which is called a donk bet, since you just called preflop, I would go for a check-jam with such a short stack, when you connected with the board. It again allow him to fold, which is really, what you want, when you have a short stack. Might not have made a difference against this particular hand, but in general it is a better line. By that I am also saying, that you are not looking to get away from this draw, which again is because of your stack size.

Turn
As played this is indeed a sigh call with the dummy end of the straight. He can be jamming some worse hands like two pair or just bluffs. Sure he will have a 9 sometimes, but not always. The outcome was bad luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday’s hand that got me,
MTT started with 3333 and was down to about 100 players.
Bb 20k and I’ve 150k
Only one called the preflop (175k mp1) and I was the btn with JJ
I’ve read not to trap and be happy to win a small pot so went all in.
I thought this was correct but got beat
Player called with A5o and obviously got lucky with the flop.
How would you play preflop? Maybe I should have bet 60k or 80k because they already had 20k in?

If blinds were 10k/20k, you only had 7,5BB left, and then jamming preflop is the only play to be made. You got it in good, which is all, you can try to acheive :)

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If blinds were 10k/20k, you only had 7,5BB left, and then jamming preflop is the only play to be made. You got it in good, which is all, you can try to acheive :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain all that to me and also it was very understandable for me.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what level Bigblinds would you not shove ?
Do you think the 10 bigblind theory that i have seen would be right?

PatValShark

PatValShark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant add much to this discussion, cause alot of great advice has been given. I like the idea of thinking of it as a gutshot to the 3, but what advice I can give is the obvious, given where you were in the hand would anyone have folded more than 50% more of the time than you did not. I think not unless you had an in person read and then still, you went with your gut and this time you were wrong, learn and next time you may or may not be the better hand so keep on keeping on.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
I was hoping if I started this forum that I could get advised on where I’ve gone wrong.
Go easy.

I’m big blind
A, 4 diamonds.
Mp1 raised one blind
I’ve a open ended straight, an out side chance of a flush and still the A so bet 3big blinds and get called
Out comes the 8 for a straight and player shoves all in. Half + my chips already in, so I called.
What qwas effecftive stack ? It s very important cause your realisation can be good or bad with this hand .

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
Go easy.

I’m big blind
A, 4 diamonds.
Mp1 raised one blind

Be careful with the low end of a 4 card straight, it will rarely be the best hand

When you flop a draw you need to ask if all your outs are 'clean' = will you have the nuts if you hit them or is it easy for someone to have a bigger hand

Once you learn the difference between clean and dirty outs it should help you out.

Here's a video to help as well, hope you enjoy it!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH45e91Nk8E&t=939s[/ame]

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful with the low end of a 4 card straight, it will rarely be the best hand

When you flop a draw you need to ask if all your outs are 'clean' = will you have the nuts if you hit them or is it easy for someone to have a bigger hand

Once you learn the difference between clean and dirty outs it should help you out.

Here's a video to help as well, hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH45e91Nk8E&t=939s
Thank you Evan

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
When facing a river and you already have a straight, you feel your opponent wants/needs a club to make a flush do you shove?
Was in a turbo micro mtt and very early

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1600 chips. Blind 30UTG I have pocket AA
Wanted to encourage a little action so bet 60
Big Blind calls (1650chips)
Flop Q 7 3 off
They bet 350 and I shoved.
They have Q 9
River had a 9, lose to 2 pair.
Should I have just called ?
Was it too much risk or is shoving good here?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
1600 chips. Blind 30UTG I have pocket AA
Wanted to encourage a little action so bet 60
Big Blind calls (1650chips)
Flop Q 7 3 off
They bet 350 and I shoved.
They have Q 9
River had a 9, lose to 2 pair.
Should I have just called ?
Was it too much risk or is shoving good here?

Were you ahead when the chips went in? (although this actually isn't always a necessary prerequisite depending upon the situation because there are many times when you don't need to have the best of it when the chips go in).
Here though, I'd suggest open-raising the 'SAME' amount you'd be making it with any of your opening range hands. Don't make it less when you pick up AA, KK, etc. a) it becomes super obvious to those who are paying attention b) you want to get max. VALUE with your big hands (if the guy is going to call 60... surely he'll call 90. This may seem like it's only 30 chips more but now there's more in the middle so our flop C-bets can be bigger... & then turn bet, etc.).

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were you ahead when the chips went in? (although this actually isn't always a necessary prerequisite depending upon the situation because there are many times when you don't need to have the best of it when the chips go in).
Here though, I'd suggest open-raising the 'SAME' amount you'd be making it with any of your opening range hands. Don't make it less when you pick up AA, KK, etc. a) it becomes super obvious to those who are paying attention b) you want to get max. VALUE with your big hands (if the guy is going to call 60... surely he'll call 90. This may seem like it's only 30 chips more but now there's more in the middle so our flop C-bets can be bigger... & then turn bet, etc.).
They had about one extra blind. I usually limp or 2xBB from UTG unless I’ve pocket 10s or Jacks. Then I’d raise a bit more to try keep out call stations.
What do you think of these plays?

E

essimicke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would have jammed pre-flop.

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my suggestion first you have to see your hand power and if its going to be lower straight and probability that he will have higher straight make you loose is bigger so better to stay in tourney than giving up him the chips!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands