Must Call Situations

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times when you get a hand that puts you in a must call situation and I don't know of an effective strategy to deal with this type of situ...Following are two hands from the same tournament and in both I feel I had to call...then the Poker Gods stepped in..

Mart1194

Mart1194

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sad. But it's part of the game. :cry:

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
There are times when you get a hand that puts you in a must call situation and I don't know of an effective strategy to deal with this type of situ...Following are two hands from the same tournament and in both I feel I had to call...then the Poker Gods stepped in..

Don't think there is anything you can do except than listen to your guts. but then you will torture yourself with the question if this was a good fold 😅
You did everything right but there's Not much to do if the opponent is incredibly lucky ..

The 2nd hand where you got aces , you could have shoved preflop, maybe this guy with Q9 suited would have folded but that's just speculation

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand was just bad luck.
But on the second hand I wouldn't go all in with pair of 8 on flop. Ok he hopped for color and he hit the full but a lot of players still in game and one of them could have an 8

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Congratulations, you know that bads can occur, you showed KK and AA being broken and you didn't write anything bad or complaints, that's right, sometimes it will happen.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both hands were during early stages, when it's important to build up our chip stack. AA & KK definitely will help. If given 80%-90% of winning, we take the shot.

In hand #1, if I know villain overvalues his hand pre (most in microstakes are), I'd shove for max value. In hand #2, if i know that the donk lead is weak (i.e., not polarized, opp betting to protect/bully) and i know the player behind is sticky/chaser, I'd shove to punish.

If they get there, they get there. But 4 times out of 5, hero is the one with the hefty stack. You took the shot, your read was correct. You were not necessarily married to the hands, imho.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I agree, there are situations where you must call, even at river. However you put here 2 hands which has nothing to do with this box. It's not a must call at all, it's a must outplay. When you mention effective strategy, you must wanna ask how to deal with bad beats being beat by an underdog? Play lot, well, and long term you should see the game and results positive.
Don't think there is anything you can do except than listen to your guts. but then you will torture yourself with the question if this was a good fold 😅
You did everything right but there's Not much to do if the opponent is incredibly lucky ..

The 2nd hand where you got aces , you could have shoved preflop, maybe this guy with Q9 suited would have folded but that's just speculation
The 1st one is a 3-bet all-in, UTG+1 pushed some 4.5+bb open, so never folding to a shove (in fact, shove is looking weaker here rather than the min 3-bet!). We probably would either way see a showdown, but this way we just lock to run max value, which this hand is deserved, and probably leading pre all the time.

The 2nd one, here no all-in pre, but an impactful 3-bet needed, cause 6bb is very low, and that can bring soo many combinations in, especially on this level. As he did it, Q9s could easily call it. I'd say a min. 10bb bet is needed here, but even can go up to 13.5bbs simply:
- the earliest positions showed determination already
- we don't wanna have multiway pot if not needed
- still the whole table is left to act when we put our raise in
- we 're building up a nice pot to catch, also this is a deep game yet
- 1$ SnG

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 KK
The opponent opened to almost 5BB, and he only started with 32BB. For me I just jam here and put him all-in. This time it did not matter, because he did it for you. But its a disaster, if flop comes something like AQ4, and he get away postflop. The result is just a meaningless and boring bad beat. You know this already, but try to not be so results oriented.

Hand 2 AA
Preflop
There was a min-raise and a call, and then you 3-bet to just 6BB. This is giving them to good of a price to stick along and try to crack your AA with great implied odds, since you are 75BB deep. They are never folding to that sizing, which also mean, you cant ever have a 3-bet bluff, which makes you very easy to play against. This time you even picked up someone, who cold called the 3-bet, so you went 4-ways to the flop, which is not ideal. Even against just an UTG min-raise I would go to 4X or 8BB, because stacks are so deep, and he just min-raised. And with a field caller I would go to 10BB.

Flop
You face a donk bet from UTG, and I prefer to just call that donk bet. This gives him the chance to bluff the turn, if he is bluffing, and it gives BTN a better chance to come along with whatever, he has. Unless someone has exactly clubs, which they are not folding, this is a way ahead way behind spot. Either someone has an 8 in which case you are way behind drawing to 2 outs. Or noboby has an 8 in which case you are way ahead and dont need to worry about protecting your hand by fastplaying it.

Instead you jammed, got called by a flushdraw, and another meaningless and boring bad beat happened. This one however is one, you largely set up yourself. If you size your preflop 3-bet better, its much less likely, someone cold call behind with a hand like Q9s. You allowed this to take place by using incorrect sizing, so this is your study point and a way to not only recieve less bad beats but more important better long term results.

G

godo09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I come up here with a tricky hand where I was eliminated from an online freeroll tournament. Had AQ clubs suited, was on the UTG position and I bet 3X. The vilan, on the BB, just call. The board come T5Q off. The vilan bets 2/3 of the pot and me and another player from MP just call. Then he goes ALL IN and I think a lot and decide to call. He had T5 spades suited. The turn brings a 7 of diamonds and on the river comes a 2 of hearts. Honestly, most of the times, at the same situation, when I call, the vilan has either a top pair lower than mine or less often a three of a kind......Don't' know what to do in such circumstance.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Must calls are just that so we call- KK hand was that ---
The AA hand was not the same at all
There are actions in the AA hand that were not the most effective choices-therefore with study we can improve by taking actions that help our ROI-
The first is to raise much larger preflop when your V are so willing to call and there is already players in the pot

T

Tomiveres

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On both of the hands I would make a little bigger raise , 3x minimum on the first hand with the KK , and on the second hand i would make 200 .
The hand played by it self , just unlucky .

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank God for Comic Relief
Just really thank you

I feel as an experienced player for many years hearing bad beat stories goes from annoying to HILARIOUS!!!!!!

43ff0b20d1e210f227ebe2877a98b34f.png

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
with KK you were just unlucky to lose 1010 but playing with AA you call 120 instead of doing All-in and knocking out the other hands, launched them and lost there you made a mistake