mega bluff, a cc Main Event hand

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
pokerstars GAME #11076082458: TOURNAMENT #51769188, $40+$4 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL I (10/20) - 2007/07/22 - 15:41:08 (ET)
Table '51769188 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: buckster436 (4940 in chips)
Seat 2: gord962 (5070 in chips)
Seat 3: robwhufc (5030 in chips)
Seat 4: juiceeQ (4980 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: L.Schumner (5000 in chips)
Seat 6: 13 O N E R (4995 in chips)
Seat 8: dakota-xx (5010 in chips)
Seat 9: JD Old Num 7 (4975 in chips)
gord962: posts small blind 10
robwhufc: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to L.Schumner [9s 8s]
juiceeQ: folds
L.Schumner: raises 30 to 50 raise to mix up play w this type of hand
13 O N E R: folds
dakota-xx: folds
JD Old Num 7: folds
buckster436: calls 50
gord962: folds
robwhufc: raises 150 to 200 ok, squeeze play since buck calls
L.Schumner: calls 150
buckster436: calls 150
*** FLOP *** [5s Ac 3s]
robwhufc: bets 250 fine, continuation bet
L.Schumner: raises 470 to 720 Question: wouldn't you start to put the initial preflop raiser on an ace here?
buckster436: folds
robwhufc: raises 680 to 1400 ok, I have to put him on an ace here, but the bet is small enough to take one off in hopes of the flush
L.Schumner said, "wow"
L.Schumner: calls 680 doesn't he have to think it's possible I am calling him down with an ace/nine or similar hand??
*** TURN *** [5s Ac 3s] [2c]
robwhufc: bets 1100
L.Schumner: folds

robwhufc collected 3410 from pot
robwhufc: shows [7h Kd] (high card Ace)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3410 | Rake 0
Board [5s Ac 3s 2c]
Seat 1: buckster436 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: gord962 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: robwhufc (big blind) collected (3410)
Seat 4: juiceeQ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: L.Schumner folded on the Turn
Seat 6: 13 O N E R folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: dakota-xx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: JD Old Num 7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Last edited:
pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Total posts
He did have the best hand, but It was a crazy move.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
Congrats for winning it AG.

Thanks. Rob made the same move on me later in the tournament again! I don't like that play at all, as I will have an ace there a HUGE percentage of the time... he just found the two spots where I didn't !

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Total posts
Haha, it's good to know my notes on Rob are accurate. ^^

In all seriousness he's thinking one of two things

(a) "He has an Ace, probably a moderately strong Ace, but I can push him off it."

(b) "ME bluff NOW"

Your chatbox "wow" probably doesn't help matters by the way, as it's hinting that you have a tricky decision on the flop (you don't seem like the sort to angle-shoot to me) - and if you have a tricky decision on the flop you may well end up foding to a blank turn lead.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
L.Schumner: raises 30 to 50 raise to mix up play w this type of hand - early in the game i know, but you had raised continously with little or no resistance
buckster436: calls 50 - not really a consideration, Buck will call a lot with anything.
robwhufc: raises 150 to 200 ok, squeeze play since buck calls
L.Schumner: calls 150
buckster436: calls 150
*** FLOP *** [5s Ac 3s]
robwhufc: bets 250 fine, continuation bet - and exactly what you would expect me to do, especially if I didn't have an ace
L.Schumner: raises 470 to 720 Question: wouldn't you start to put the initial preflop raiser on an ace here? - no, you'd raised repeatedly, and an ace probably calls here, not raises, I didn't think you had an ace.
buckster436: folds - good
robwhufc: raises 680 to 1400 ok, I have to put him on an ace here, but the bet is small enough to take one off in hopes of the flush - now what? Now you think i've got an ace, which is good isn't it?
L.Schumner said, "wow"
L.Schumner: calls 680 doesn't he have to think it's possible I am calling him down with an ace/nine or similar hand?? - not good.
*** TURN *** [5s Ac 3s] 2♣
robwhufc: bets 1100 - possibly a mistake (my first in the hand), but it's a "come on then, how good do you think your ace is?" bet. There were 3 considerations in making the bet, firstly would I still have enough chips to get away from it if put all in (yes), secondly, are you good enough to fold (yes - no offense meant but I wouldn't have made the bet against Buck for example), and thirdly, is the bet believable (yes)
L.Schumner: folds
robwhufc collected 3410 from pot
robwhufc: shows [7h Kd] (high card Ace) - shouldn't have shown, but i thought you had shown a bluff before (you certainly did afterwards, in a not too disimilar situation).
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3410 | Rake 0
Board [5s Ac 3s 2c]
my thinking on the hand ^. You have to admit that I won plenty of chips of the back of this, with more than one player calling me down with inferior holdings. It was a hefty couple of bets, but there was still plenty of poker left to play (it didn't take you ling to double up), and i'd rather play my hands, then just get blinded away like Dakota did.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Total posts
Congrats for winning it AG.
We chopped 50/50 (though i was up 24K v 17K at time). We were approaching 3 hours play, it was 11.20pm, i had to go to work next morning and blinds were STILL 100/200 :eek: . Me and AG had been playing heads up for ages (Dakota was a passenger when we were playing 3 handed), and I just couldn't face playing for another hour.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Total posts

(a) "He has an Ace, probably a moderately strong Ace, but I can push him off it."

(b) "ME BLUFF NOW"

Your chatbox "wow" probably doesn't help matters by the way, as it's hinting that you have a tricky decision on the flop (you don't seem like the sort to angle-shoot to me) - and if you have a tricky decision on the flop you may well end up foding to a blank turn lead.
I overplay hands, i know that. I just lack patience. It was definately more a than b, but i actually was quite confident he didn't have an ace. I dont get it right much, but i did here (and if you'd seen how many times he had raised pre-flop on a very quiet table, you probably would have too).

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Total posts

(b) "ME BLUFF NOW"

Yeah, I realized that saying something was a mistake right away.

We chopped 50/50 (though i was up 24K v 17K at time). We were approaching 3 hours play, it was 11.20pm, i had to go to work next morning and blinds were STILL 100/200 :eek: . Me and AG had been playing heads up for ages (Dakota was a passenger when we were playing 3 handed), and I just couldn't face playing for another hour.

Yes, we both had a huge amount of big blinds left, and I could have gone on for a while, with levels of 30 min. long.

my thinking on the hand ^. You have to admit that I won plenty of chips of the back of this, with more than one player calling me down with inferior holdings. It was a hefty couple of bets, but there was still plenty of poker left to play (it didn't take you ling to double up), and i'd rather play my hands, then just get blinded away like Dakota did.

Very ballsy sir, I have to give you credit. You had the courage of you convictions. You might not believe it, but after my flop raise (rep. the ace) I really thought about shoving over the top on the turn (to stay consistent with my story), but couldn't pull the trigger.

I agree, it's better to go out "playing".

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
i think you're both lag players ,nobody can put either of you on a hand ,you push crap hands , you get people to call with weak hands and fold the best hands , all good , but when lag bumps heads with lag the cards dont matter , its biggest balls unless someone wakes up with strong hand. jmo., :). and in defense of dakota and buck ..... pssssssst :p

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands