Live Tourney, JJ, 1 away from final table

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just lost a live tourney yesterday. £20 buy-in, unlimited rebuys in the first 90 minutes, 61 players, the pot reached over £6000 (!).

Six hours in, down to two tables, 11 players, and I'm most definately short stacked. A deal has been done to give the person in 11th place a cash prize of £120 which isn't too bad since I haven't done any rebuys.

(Appreciate this isn't really relevant to the hand, just trying to give you an idea of my state of mind at the time)

Okay, hand is dealt. I'm in early position and have JJ pocket pair. Big raise of half my stack (only 5x BB though). Everybody folds except a very tight player who reraises 10x BB. Back to me, I go all-in. Cards on their backs, he shows AA. Flop A105, Turn J ( :eek: ), River 3.

Should I have went all in against a known tight player, bearing in mind that I was extremely short stacked and had already got myself a cash prize?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just lost a live tourney yesterday. £20 buy-in, unlimited rebuys in the first 90 minutes, 61 players, the pot reached over £6000 (!).

Six hours in, down to two tables, 11 players, and I'm most definately short stacked. A deal has been done to give the person in 11th place a cash prize of £120 which isn't too bad since I haven't done any rebuys.

(Appreciate this isn't really relevant to the hand, just trying to give you an idea of my state of mind at the time)

Okay, hand is dealt. I'm in early position and have JJ pocket pair. Big raise of half my stack (only 5x BB though). Everybody folds except a very tight player who reraises 10x BB. Back to me, I go all-in. Cards on their backs, he shows AA. Flop A105, Turn J ( :eek: ), River 3.

Should I have went all in against a known tight player, bearing in mind that I was extremely short stacked and had already got myself a cash prize?

Yes, with only 5BBs left there was really much you could do after that. [unless you hit a hot streak.] The only thing I wouldve done differently is I wouldve pushed all in PF. You were down to about 10 BBs and really needed to put pressure on your opponents and really force them to have a strong hand to call you. It wouldve been nice to have been called with an underpair or an Ax hand but, unfortunately, you ran into aces. It happens.

Good luck.

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes u should have gone all in but hes gonna call u with aces anyway.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a 10BB stack, just push preflop. Don't let the fact that aces were sitting behind you affect what you think was the right or wrong decision.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a 10BB stack, just push preflop. Don't let the fact that aces were sitting behind you affect what you think was the right or wrong decision.

Yep, as Chuck says you had no option with your stack size, just push PF. Having AA behind you while you're dealt JJ is just bad luck, and as played there is no way you can fold to the reraise, considering how much you had left. What I think is positive is that you are attentive enough to notice that this player is very tight, and if you had 100 BB left rather than 5 you would have probably been able to get away from this with no harm.

That's what really counts, because its sign of a good player. For the rest just forget about this tourney and move on because it wasn't possible for you anymore to make a poker decision after his reraise, you were forced to play it as you did.

Just 1 question. How come you didn't rebuy not even once? That's pretty hard to overcome seeing how big the prize pool was because probably everyone else did multiple times. Is it a strategy of yours for rebuys?

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what really counts, because its sign of a good player. For the rest just forget about this tourney and move on because it wasn't possible for you anymore to make a poker decision after his reraise, you were forced to play it as you did.

Just 1 question. How come you didn't rebuy not even once? That's pretty hard to overcome seeing how big the prize pool was because probably everyone else did multiple times. Is it a strategy of yours for rebuys?

Thanks for the compliment, and the advice. :)

I wouldn't really consider myself a good player. I've played a few years and pretty much broke even... it's only recently I've started to get some big wins (mainly live - not sure what I'm doing wrong online).

I generally don't rebuy, but probably would have in this tournament judging by the size of the prize pool. Much prefer freezeouts as the play seems a lot tighter. I did very well on my first table and the conditions were that a player had to have half of initial stack (1000) to rebuy, and I never really got to that stage.

My biggest loss in that tournament was with AK suited against a very loose aggressive player mid-late tournament. Called his all-in with double his stack and he had KK - I lost and that put me short stacked for the rest of the night. No doubts about my play there though.

Thanks for the advice all. :)

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push, there's no way you'll be in the tourney after that hand, I'd go broke here any day, tough luck man :(

Organize a Home Poker Game