Lessons for crippling hand

insolitude

insolitude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm ITM in this MTT, and I think I kind of took my eye off the price with the hand below. The chip leaders were routinely throwing out these 3xBB raises to try to steal the blinds. A few hands earlier I reraised another ~4xBB with a solid hand and ended up taking down the pot right then and there.

Looking back, I think I should have probably flat-called this PF and check-folded a missed flop to any decent post-flop action.

I'm sitting okay with chips at this point in the tourney (I can't remember exactly, I think I'm in the top half. I REALLY wanted to make the final table, and I think my PF raise here was the critical error that prevented me from doing so.

Any of you more seasoned MTT players care to help out with my analysis, please do. I'm new to MTT, so overall I'm happy with my results.

pokerstars Game #16329033820: Tournament #82671267, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2008/03/29 - 02:29:46 (ET)
Table '82671267 7' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 2: chimpo80 (10655 in chips)
Seat 3: insolitude (18178 in chips)
Seat 4: Lochnivar (17909 in chips)
Seat 5: Hells Devil (41087 in chips)
Seat 6: Prof.ChaoZ (34583 in chips)
Seat 7: chardtibo (14171 in chips)
chimpo80: posts the ante 75
insolitude: posts the ante 75
Lochnivar: posts the ante 75
Hells Devil: posts the ante 75
Prof.ChaoZ: posts the ante 75
chardtibo: posts the ante 75
chimpo80: posts small blind 400
insolitude: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to insolitude [Ac 9c]
Lochnivar: raises 1600 to 2400
Hells Devil: folds
Prof.ChaoZ: folds
chardtibo: folds
chimpo80: folds
insolitude: raises 5600 to 8000
Lochnivar: raises 9834 to 17834 and is all-in
insolitude: calls 9834
*** FLOP *** [Ad Tc Jd]
*** TURN *** [Ad Tc Jd] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [Ad Tc Jd 7c] [7h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
insolitude: shows [Ac 9c] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
Lochnivar: shows [Qc Ah] (two pair, Aces and Sevens - Queen kicker)
Lochnivar collected 36518 from pot
insolitude said, "nh"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 36518 | Rake 0
Board [Ad Tc Jd 7c 7h]
Seat 2: chimpo80 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: insolitude (big blind) showed [Ac 9c] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 4: Lochnivar showed [Qc Ah] and won (36518) with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 5: Hells Devil folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Prof.ChaoZ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: chardtibo (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

F

Fermion5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad spot to resteal for a few reasons:
It's an UTG raiser.
Everyone has deepstacks.
You have a somewhat playable hand.
In the event that he does have a hand, you are likely dominated.
Resteals are hard to pull off in micro stakes.

I assume there were two tables left?

You mention how
the chip leaders were routinely throwing out these 3xBB raises to try to steal the blinds.
This shouldn't be your motivation to resteal. You need to identify a player who routinely steals in late position and pick a spot to attack them. Also, blinds are really too small to be worth stealing so a resteal is not worth it most of the time in cost vs. reward.

Not sure what your pot odds were, but you should probably fold to that all in.

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on your read on the other player. He wasn't one of the chip leaders who were raising a lot of hands preflop, he was middle stacked like you and he raised UTG (even though it's 6 handed, position still plays a factor, although a smaller one), with 2 big stacks acting behind him. I fold this kind of hand here all the time unless he was trying to over the table. The problem with A9 is it doesn't beat anything that doesn't fold to your re-raise, and I don't think you're deep stacked enough to make a call and play a flop a profitable play, even if it's suited. You're not going to hit hard on the flop enough times to justify it. Still, your re-raise is definitely not a very very bad play IMO, it shows you were trying to amass chips to take down the tournament, which is a good thing. Try to wait for a better spot to put your chips in next time, they almost always come in 4.40$ MTTs.

Nice job trying out some MTTs insolitude, if you're patient enough you'll have a nice score in one of these in no time.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands