Late in tourney-small stack - called all in bet PF with AKs. Was I wrong here ?

zendale

zendale

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
played good most of the trny 36 was the cut off 394 plyers I was out in 42nd

full tilt poker Game #2974087714: $7,000 Guarantee (22168007), Table 15 - 500/1000 Ante 125 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:49:05 ET - 2007/07/17
Seat 1: MAINTAINEN (13,838)
Seat 3: the_limpest (9,125)
Seat 4: Btchonwhls (35,065)
Seat 5: zendale (17,180)
Seat 6: ogmanager (23,583)
Seat 7: ogane248 (68,173)
Seat 8: Kiriac (33,012)
Seat 9: BotOFallBOTS (15,564)
MAINTAINEN antes 125
the_limpest antes 125
Btchonwhls antes 125
zendale antes 125
ogmanager antes 125
ogane248 antes 125
Kiriac antes 125
BotOFallBOTS antes 125
Kiriac posts the small blind of 500
BotOFallBOTS posts the big blind of 1,000
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to zendale [Ks As]
MAINTAINEN folds
the_limpest folds
Btchonwhls folds
zendale raises to 4,500
ogmanager has 15 seconds left to act
ogmanager raises to 23,458, and is all in
ogane248 folds
Kiriac folds
BotOFallBOTS folds
zendale has 15 seconds left to act
zendale: oh man
zendale calls 12,555, and is all in
ogmanager shows [Jd Jc]
zendale shows [Ks As]
Uncalled bet of 6,403 returned to ogmanager
*** FLOP *** [7c 3h 4s]
*** TURN *** [7c 3h 4s] 4♣
*** RIVER *** [7c 3h 4s 4c] [Ts]
ogmanager shows two pair, Jacks and Fours
zendale shows a pair of Fours
ogmanager wins the pot (36,610) with two pair, Jacks and Fours
zendale stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 36,610 | Rake 0
Board: [7c 3h 4s 4c Ts]
Seat 1: MAINTAINEN folded before the Flop
Seat 3: the_limpest folded before the Flop
Seat 4: Btchonwhls folded before the Flop
Seat 5: zendale showed [Ks As] and lost with a pair of Fours
Seat 6: ogmanager showed [Jd Jc] and won (36,610) with two pair, Jacks and Fours
Seat 7: ogane248 (button) folded before the Flop
Seat 8: Kiriac (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: BotOFallBOTS (big blind) folded before the Flop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No thats a good call you just didn't win the race nothing you can do . I make that call everytime

tonymaclennan

tonymaclennan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think I would be very wary of that call as loosing the race would (and has done) mess up your tournament! But depends on what read you had on the player..

V

Vision

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
zen
another view... I've made it a new practice to not put myself all-in w/big slick,
pre-flop that is, if chip stack allows a call and showdown, I'll take my chances . I've found myself going a lot deeper in turney play with this action.
no all-in till a later street.
as always, each situation calls for your own read but I've been happier with some of my laydowns, that regretful.

Don't get in my way...
I'm older and I've got more insurance!

ministaker

ministaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What did you put your opponent on when deciding to make the all in call?
If you think he has Jacks or 10s, do you want to race when you have a relatively healthy stack and don't really need to.

Also was your goal to make the money or take it down? (i know dumb question, but you'd be surprised how many player's goal is to make the money)
Making a play like this with the intention of doubling up and go much deeper is almost never wrong. Aggression wins games, esp at the bubble.
although, I'm probably not racing at this point. If you're stack was shorter or your opponent has been very loose, I'd make the call. If not, pick another spot to jam.

Of course, it'd be a completely different post if you spiked your A or K.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm gonna guess that you were a below average chipstack at the tourney. The blinds and antes come to 2500, giving you an M of under 7. You then raise a third of your stack and have to think about calling an all in with AKs.

This is a no brainer. You lost a coinflip, but it is an easy call at this stage of the tourney. The person shoving could have anything from A9+, 55+, even KQs etc... Your AK is only dominated by two hands (AA/KK), is a coinflip with any pair, is a favorite over any big broadway, and any smaller Ace. Easy call.

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like this call. with ur stack u needed to make this. got yourself into a coin flip nothing u can do played well.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zen
another view... I've made it a new practice to not put myself all-in w/big slick,
pre-flop that is, if chip stack allows a call and showdown, I'll take my chances . I've found myself going a lot deeper in turney play with this action.
no all-in till a later street.
as always, each situation calls for your own read but I've been happier with some of my laydowns, that regretful.

Don't get in my way...
I'm older and I've got more insurance!
I think It was a good call, If villian had AA,KK villian may have just re-raised or just called to allow other players into the hand to possibly win more chips, but the all-in with other players to act indicate a strong but vulnerable hand and villian wants this heads-up, if there had been multiple callers to the all-in I may have folded AK to that, but as to the way it was played out, I think it was fine IMO.

zendale

zendale

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
at 17k chips i was in 42nd place ogmanager came over the top of my raises a couple times earlier and I watched him call down some pots with trash like he shown here I had a tight table image and generally people folded when I raised I also was playing to go deep not just get ITM I take the advice of Phil Helmuth here and ask myself is just getting itm good enough or are you playing to win ? Now these were also (a mistake I know) the best looking cards in the last hour I saw so I figured it was safe to make the move because I was playing tight and figured I could get away with it.

C

Chookes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It was definately the correct call. It was a good opening raise and you ran into a big hand. I don't think you could have folded that with having over a quater of your stack already in the pot. You were just unlucky not to win the race.

In my eyes, the right play, just unlucky in the end.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Correct call, you had him covered, it was late, and as much as you might want that hand back, things had to progress along. Blinds getting big, there are just not that many hands left in this tourney irregardless of what your actual cards are. That you had so much potential here is reason enough to call. You had a 60% chance to hit either the Ace or King. With the suits, you were the fav going in.

Afterlife000

Afterlife000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were me, i wouldve folded that if someone had more chips than me and they went all in. Suited or not, i hate A K and dont trust it because it never works!! People think its so good and always put all there money on it, when its not that great.

zendale

zendale

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct call, you had him covered, it was late, and as much as you might want that hand back, things had to progress along. Blinds getting big, there are just not that many hands left in this tourney irregardless of what your actual cards are. That you had so much potential here is reason enough to call. You had a 60% chance to hit either the Ace or King. With the suits, you were the fav going in.

thats what I figured