LAG or Donk?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me set the stage:

I played in 13 player live tournament this weekend, rebuys for the first four rounds then an add on going into the 5th round. I was the chip leader ( in the 5th round) at a 5 person table, I isolated on the first hand of the round on the short stack and called a questionable all in with 10-8 and sucked out the beat KQos. I was intentially being overly aggressive this tournament as I was very tight in the previous tournament.

About 4 hands later I was in the big blind with J's in the hole, first 2 players fold and there is a 3x the bb raise by the now short stack at the table, it folds around to me and I call all in with the intention of pushing the short stack off the pot but not really afraid of a call as I atleast had a good starting hand. The short stack calls my all with AK and loses when neither one of us catch anything.

Did I play this right, it feels like I set him up for it but wanted some other insights.

Thanks is advance,

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have went all in preflop so that you dont give him a chance to fold when he doesnt hit anything

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe I didn't explain it well, he raised preflop and when it came to me I pushed all in preflop as the BB and he called.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well everything happened as it should...I would have played it the same way

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steve ... your play was right. You had the best hand and got your money in ahead. He should have pushed all in with AK being short stacked and put you to the call.

By the way what size were the stacks? His bet should have been at least 5BB being short and he is OOP.

The question is would you have called him anyway if he had gone all in? (you said you were trying to push him off the pot).

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably had at that point about 15k in chips and he had about 10k in chips. I was doing my best to be LAG (not natural for me) so I would have called and taken a shot with my J's. My approach for the night was to call almost anyone all in preflop (heads up) with anything decent; in this case I put him in because I did have good cards. After the flop I was playing tighter because of the chances of someone catching something I couldn't see on the board. The way the night went I never had to call anyone all in I put the question to them (after this hand I was the chip leader), I snapped off four people. I got busted early when the table turned to calling stations late and I didn't adjust my play correctly.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You both played as it should have been played.

Just a note on JJ. They are a terrible hand to play OOP. If you don't go all-in preflop, you are in all kinds of problems post-flop. Half the time you will see an overcard. If you check, they will c-bet you and you have no idea where you stand. If you lead, and get called or re-raised, you are in trouble. If you lead and they fold, you didn't get enough money from a worse hand.

As they say, there are 3 ways to play JJ and they are all wrong.:) In this case, however, there is only one way to play them with short stack.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone for you input. The only books I have read so far are the Harrington on Hold'em so far. I will trying to read more after the holidays when I have more time.

Last edited: