KQs UTG

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow

The problem is that being out of position and with a relatively small stack, we will be making incorrect decisions (or at least very 'blind' decisions) too often. Given the size of the pot, the first raise on the flop is going to be an effective shove. What do you do if you hit a flop? Check-fold (weak - if we're playing for two pair+ we need better odds than 3-1)? Bet-fold (congrats on just short-stacking yourself)? Bet-call (congrats you just stacked of to any of a whole host of hands)?

I don't really understand why you feel the limp isn't terrible. Because of it, we're either going to be playing a multiway pot OOP with a reasonable but still potentially troublesome multiway hand, or we're going to feel compelled to call a small raise and potentially get into very big trouble OOP against a range that crushes us, or we're just going to have to fold pf to a big raise.

Why are you so eager to play KQs OOP at a full table? With these limited stacks there's no way you can make very effective decisions later in the hand whatsoever.

dorkus this is a great post, I really couldnt add anything at all but felt I needed to post about how absolutley correct pretty much everything you said is. well done.

C

Crocodile King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As my game is improving Im playing suited connectors more and more.
KQs is one of my favorite pockets now as I have high card strength and all the versatility of suited connectors.
Ill play it from any position (but hey Im a micro stakes player so take that into account).

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you so eager to play kqs oop at a full table? with these limited stacks there's no way way you can make very effective decisions later in the hand whatsoever
I totally disagree. first of all, Limited stacks? He had 2000 + in chips before and probably still even after he made the call, the blinds were 80 chips ( even if he didnt have over 2000 chips after the call thats still only slightly under 2 gs). Obviously when you limp at this sort of a table you have no clue when you'll get raised so what do you say to do raise? or automatic fold?. I don't agree with an automatic fold and I don't agree with a raise, justify it anyway you please but I just don't agree with those two things, thats just how I play and we all have different styles. I'm sure of this most likely though, raising is going to get you in more trouble than limping, especially at certain tables.

Saying that there is no way you can make effective decisions later in the hand whatsoever is a total ASSUMPTION. You may have a point, but still it is a total assumption, because your automatically assuming that the player with this hand makes the wrong read when you say this and thats why I said if you don't feel comfortable don't play the hand. Your putting words in my mouth to ask me why am I so eager, I said i'll play the situation by ear if I think im beat I'm going to lay it down, but its not an automatic fold. My point is that it is an not an automatic fold just because some raises, and if you raise, everyone that raises UTG doesn't realize what it resembles, everyone that plays poker isn't a poker fanatic that studies poker all day long. Of course you have to be weary of the worst, but by folding kq suited under the gun automatically, I think you are giving way too much credit to those that are not true poker players, your making everyone seem like they are a poker shark at the table and that is far from the case. When people on this board they make a case in regards to what they would do in the situation assuming that competition is top tier, but for the most part the competition ISN'T top tier, and even the top tier players are willing to raise with anything especially at this type of table. Your overestimating the competency of the players for a $5 tournament guy.

because the cards are suited If I chose to call it doesnt hurt my stack, he still had plenty of chips to play, and he has outs to win a monster hand no matter what the preflop raiser has. Its all opportunity cost, he risked little of his stack for the chance to flop big, he didnt flop a monster but he still hit the flop pretty good. Regardless, limited stacks, this is a chance I am willing to take, you gotta get in there and play if you consider this a limited stack. The blinds will be increasing soon and it won't be long before he's pushing his stack all in to just to steal the blinds, I'm not going to wait or be scared because of a raise when I know I'm going to end up pushing all in anyway when the blinds raise when I start to lose fold equity.

There is plenty of room to fold here, and if you do, SO WHAT, what do you lose?! not much thats for sure, your bound to be pushing your stack all in just to take blinds in a couple of levels, now is the time to take chances while you can still afford to see flops

By the way, you forgot to add the option of check-call, because if its a reasonable bet on that flop thats what I would do, just because you hit doesn't mean you can't check-call, and just because I hit doesn't mean that I have to bet.

At the end of the day all I want to say is this, Dorkus you made some good points, but for you to say "there is no way you can make effective decisions later in the hand" is truly an overstatement. By saying this, you are totally excluding the reads on the player we have and any other reads we have involving betting patterns and any other reads. You are CLEARLY discrediting all other reading capabilities when you say this.

Last edited: