• Thread starter Dorkus Malorkus
  • Start date
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
v early, no reads, nobody has done anything particularly out of line in the few hands we've played.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

MP2 (t1480)
MP3 (t1320)
CO (t1550)
Button (t1630)
SB (t1400)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1620)
Hero (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K
spade.gif
, K
heart.gif
1 fold, Hero raises to t70, 2 folds, MP3 calls t70, CO calls t70, Button calls t70, SB calls t60, 1 fold.

Flop: (t370) 9
heart.gif
, 8
heart.gif
, 6
spade.gif
(5 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t180, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t180, SB folds.

Turn: (t730) 3
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t220, Hero calls t220.

River: (t1170) J
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks with the intention of calling a small bet (and probably calling a push though I'd really have to think about it).

Too passive? Considering button's range is likely almost two cards here because of the preflop action I don't particularly want to go bust with one pair if he's slowplaying, but am I losing value by playing the turn/river so passively?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally ill bet bigger pre-flop with a big hand early in a sit and go, especially an $11, I rarely raise to less than 100.

Flop bet is fine, but youve got to be worried about the caller considering you went to a flop 5 handed youve got to be slightly worried with the caller.

Check calling the turn is awful IMO, if your going to call the 220 bet, bet it yourself, if you get re-raised dump it, if your prepared to call a push on the river, push yourself. Saving you tricky river decisions.

Oh if you dont like that, use some blocking bets. :)

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally ill bet bigger pre-flop with a big hand early in a sit and go, especially an $11, I rarely raise to less than 100.

Excellent tip tenbob, I must add that to my wall of wisdom; though I think I've been doing that instinctively anyway; simply because you do get some crazy calls in the early phases of these DnGs.

DM, I suspect you were pseudo-slowplaying your kings and got tangled in a mess. Am I right?

As for the post-flop action, what could villain be holding 7T? ffs, if he is then he's a complete idiot. TT/77? Maybe. Slowplaying a set? Could be.

I reckon you're behind a set (40%) or
ahead of a smaller pair (40%) or
he's got some other crap you're dominating (10%)

Since it's a coin-toss imo, you may as well call anything; the pot odds justify it.

I'm not sure the call on 4th st is a bad a move i.t.o. limiting the damage should you be on the wrong side of the coin. Call it an insurance policy.
Because if my read is correct, you've got no fold equity against a set and very little against a pair with open ended straight draw (in the case of 77 or TT).

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger on the flop - 370 in the pot, bet 340-500, cos it's 5-way and the board's kind of drawy.

As played, bet around 500 on the turn.

If he calls, you can then confidently check-fold the river to a reasonable-sized bet.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think such a small preflop raise made this hand hard to play. Other than maybe fireing 350-400 on the turn, you played it fine. Now call the river.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, bet 100-120 pre-flop (5-6x BB). Being early and with semi-even stacks, most donk-N-goers think 80 is chump change.

Then push the flop. With 4 others still in, you don't want anyone drawing since your odds against the "field" are only about 50%. Sure, each only has a 10-15% chance on his own. But collectively, it's about 50%. Especially with flush & straight draws on board. If you push, they might think you have a set of 9's.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised on the turn. Why give him a chance to make a set if he has a pair or to make his draw? You're second top pair, only A's can crack you. You have advantage. Go for it.

C

CmanKK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TenBob Apprently knows everything about everything. :p

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just having a rethink about this. Id check-raise the turn all-in. Do you know how this looks if i was you opponent ? A missed AK. Raise pre-flop, c-bet the flop, check the turn. You could make an arguement here for a positional bet with fresh air.

Raise the turn, youve just effectively given a free river card, thats only going to help you lose.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those $11 tourneys you'd prolly be better off limp-all-inning these hands (AA-KK-QQ) early from EP as someone always raises or pushes all in completely with trash.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno about preflop, 3.5bb is generally my standard for early stages unless I notice the table is distinctly loose/tight (this was about the 5th hand so I know very little about this table) and it usually gets the job done.

Flop bet too small? Nah, I like 2/3 pot - it pretty much hits the 'sweet spot' in which draws are most likely to incorrectly call. If I'm faced with lots of action behind, given that the ranges of the later preflop callers are wide it also commits me less and allows me to get away from the hand more easily if I'm in trouble (yeah, I'd probably fold if the action went bet-call-call-huge raise or similar).

As for the turn, I'm really not sure about it. On one hand, as a lot of you have said, I want to protect against and charge draws, but on the other hand by checking I show weakness and induce bluffs from hands I beat. I think check-calling is weak here, though, but I don't want to stack off to a villain whose range of holdings is huge here. Say if we'd limped preflop, would you all still be advocating a huge turn lead or check-push? I don't see how this scenario is so different, because button's range is only marginally more narrow. While I agree check-calling is weak, I think it's sensible to excercise some pot control here while we are so unsure of villain's holding.

Villain checked behind on the river with AJo (yeah, no pair no draw on the flop). Shame he hit his Jack really as I may well have made more money from a river bluff if a blank had hit.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno about preflop, 3.5bb is generally my standard for early stages unless I notice the table is distinctly loose/tight (this was about the 5th hand so I know very little about this table) and it usually gets the job done.

Blah, play more sit and go's.

And push the turn

End of

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DRUNK TENBOB IS NO FUN

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet 5-6xBB myself , I do it most of the time with such hands early in a SnG and the bets preflop tell me that no-one's holding A-A and I would have re-raised it by another 120 preflop.
As for your Question, I think you played it too passive.