KJs, represented a strong hand, bluffed on the turn + river

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He would've taken it with an ace. I have no idea why he kept calling, but I knew he was weak.

full tilt poker Game #5763612297: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (43872972), Table 1 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:07:07 ET - 2008/03/24
Seat 1: aautio (1,730)
Seat 2: fmiles (2,390)
Seat 3: xXThreeLionsXx (5,420)
Seat 6: Marina122 (2,415)
Seat 9: BronxStu (1,545), is sitting out
Marina122 posts the small blind of 60
BronxStu posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to fmiles [Js Ks]
aautio folds
fmiles has 15 seconds left to act
fmiles calls 120
xXThreeLionsXx folds
Marina122 calls 60
BronxStu checks
*** FLOP *** [4h 2s 4c]
Marina122 checks
BronxStu checks
BronxStu has returned
fmiles bets 240
Marina122 folds
BronxStu calls 240
*** TURN *** [4h 2s 4c] [Qd]
BronxStu checks
fmiles bets 480
BronxStu calls 480
*** RIVER *** [4h 2s 4c Qd] [Qc]
BronxStu checks
fmiles bets 720
BronxStu calls 705, and is all in
Uncalled bet of 15 returned to fmiles
*** SHOW DOWN ***
fmiles shows [Js Ks] two pair, Queens and Fours
BronxStu mucks
fmiles wins the pot (3,210) with two pair, Queens and Fours
BronxStu stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,210 | Rake 0
Board: [4h 2s 4c Qd Qc]
Seat 1: aautio didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: fmiles showed [Js Ks] and won (3,210) with two pair, Queens and Fours
Seat 3: xXThreeLionsXx (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Marina122 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: BronxStu (big blind) mucked [3s 3c] - two pair, Queens and Fours

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way, from the hand history I saw he had pocket 3's.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So be glad you were playing a total idiot that called your AI with a 3 kicker? Was terrible terrible terrible terrible play by you. Had you not hit one of the 9 outs on the river you would have lost pretty much all your chips.

You "knew" he was weak when you were completely beaten until you lucked out on the river? ok...

DO NOT TRY TO BLUFF A CALLING STATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol at expert river call by villain, he obviously put you on the other 33 and thought he was chopping.

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DO NOT TRY TO BLUFF A CALLING STATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no idea he was a calling station. More like an aggressive bluffer. He went all-in when he had something. He checked when he was weak. I put him on a deuce or a straight draw. He was playing pretty weak throughout the tournament.

And by the way, even a calling station wouldn't call all-in with nothing. The other thing is, he had exactly the kind of hand I had put him on.

Maybe he just saw the tourney was over for him and gave it up?

I

iluvdahate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea that was a nuts type of hand to bet 3 x's. Just my opinion. I think you should have raised from the cutoff with that hand personally. But it did work out for you in the end. Did you ever check the hand history to see what his cards were?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:eek:

I guess if they put you on a bluff then the play up to the turn isn't the most awful thing I've ever seen... but the call on the river makes absolutely zero sense - you have to have exactly 23 or 33 for him to chop the pot, otherwise he's dead.

CubKiller

CubKiller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you're lucky the guy is an idiot.

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea that was a nuts type of hand to bet 3 x's. Just my opinion. I think you should have raised from the cutoff with that hand personally. But it did work out for you in the end. Did you ever check the hand history to see what his cards were?
Pocket 33.

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you guys wonder why I played the hand this way, it was just a clean bluff, because I knew 100% he was weak. He didn't have a set nor the queen. That's not how he had played previously, he wasn't a maniac nor a calling station. Something I seldom do, but here the guy had a weak hand, his action in the last hand had been weak, so I thought I'd pull it out here.

There's no other explanation for the guy calling the river than that he just wanted to quit. It was an unlucky tournament for him from the start.

I think my bluff was good, eventhough I ended up risking nearly all my chips. It was the last stages of the tournament and we were all fighting for a price place. The table went all-in a lot, raised, reraised and played good hands aggressively, so this was a truly weird hand from all perspectives.

Last edited:
F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry mate but that is the biggest load of bs i have ever read. You played it terrible end of story. YOU ALMOST GOT STACKED BY THE WORST POKRE PLAYER ALIVE. He called your AI with the worst hand possible.

He wasn't weak...he had you beat until you lucked out on the river. 2 pair vs 1 pair is not weak.

And by the way, even a calling station wouldn't call all-in with nothing. The other thing is, he had exactly the kind of hand I had put him on.

So you put him on a pp when you had K high and yet you were trying to bluff him? Alright...

An aggressive bluffer would never call you down to the river (would reraise flop) so no idea how you could get that impression...

goldfinger1217

goldfinger1217

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
H knew that with a pair on flop he prob had the best hand. the river queen was a suck out!

goldfinger1217

goldfinger1217

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True he should not have called to the river.He should have reraised the flop.but to continue betting at a calling station like that is not a wise desition eiither.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol at expert river call by villain, he obviously put you on the other 33 and thought he was chopping.

lol, well he figured both 33 and 23 make up like 90% of his range here so he was clearly getting odds, even just to chop.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is your play doesn't represent any strong hand. You flopped a 4? Let's ignore the fact that most people would slowplay this, but you didn't slow down when the 2 Q's hit. An overpair? Again, why would you bet into that river after facing resistance. The only strong hand you could possibly have here is quad queens, which is extremely unlikely. Yep I'd call this down with A high putting you on a bluff, of course it's easy for me to say seeing the results, but seriously, what hand are you representing here? Quad queens is the only thing that makes the tiniest semblance of sense. Of course it's kind of funny that you were playing against someone who would call that river bet with the nut low, apparently someone forgot to tell him 3 pair is not a poker hand.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i was thinking the exact same thing after i finished my post. I bet the guy was like wtf how can i lose with 3 pair...

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can figure everything but his showdown call. Maybe he thought 3 pair was a strong hand ... :confused:

He did have you beat all the way to the river. You got really lucky. Good thing he wasn't doing it with pocket 5's or we wouldn't be reading this post ... :eek:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem is your play doesn't represent any strong hand.

^ this.

The problem with bluffing at this pot (especially triple-barrel bluffing) is that you just limped in pre-flop, and the flop didn't give you much to work with. For a bluff to work, it has to be believable.

Pre-flop, you haven't represented any strength. And on that flop... what is the villain really going to be scared of? 22 and A4 are in your range, but you'd more likely slow-play a hand like them. You're unlikely to be on a big overpair, because those hands would've raised pre-flop. Other stuff, his hand beats.

So it's actually pretty easy (and even reasonable) for the villain to put you on exactly the kind of hand you have on the flop. Very few hands that beat him play the hand the way you did.

The queen on the turn could have been a scare card for him, but he's only really got one question to ask: do you have a queen, or don't you? If you do, he's beat. If you don't, he's still ahead.

On the river, the biggest problem is that ordinarily you should only be getting called by hands that beat you. Granted, this wasn't an ordinary hand, but against a regular opponent you can't expect to win any more money with this bet: they're either going to fold with a hand that you had beat anyway, or they're going to call you with something that has you beat.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands