K-K in LP

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want your views and opinions of how I could have played this hand any better.
Both players took some time before calling.
This is the second hour in a re-buy and all I took was the add-on which gave me just over 8k going in after the break.

pokerstars Game #7923763498: Tournament #39825124, $3.00+$0.30 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2007/01/13 - 21:49:24 (ET)
Table '39825124 442' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Crum (18635 in chips)
Seat 2: SuGarRaY7o7 (11026 in chips)
Seat 3: Stinky'sMom (9340 in chips)
Seat 4: RustyRazR (31500 in chips)
Seat 5: gandalf237 (30819 in chips)
Seat 6: RAINMAN10 (14280 in chips)
Seat 7: JJJLee (13143 in chips)
Seat 8: Orion469 (17920 in chips)
Seat 9: ThePat51 (10082 in chips)
Crum: posts the ante 25
SuGarRaY7o7: posts the ante 25
Stinky'sMom: posts the ante 25
RustyRazR: posts the ante 25
gandalf237: posts the ante 25
RAINMAN10: posts the ante 25
JJJLee: posts the ante 25
Orion469: posts the ante 25
ThePat51: posts the ante 25
Stinky'sMom: posts small blind 100
RustyRazR: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Orion469 [Ks Kd]
gandalf237: folds
RAINMAN10: calls 200
JJJLee: folds
Orion469: raises 800 to 1000
ThePat51: folds
Crum: folds
SuGarRaY7o7: folds
Stinky'sMom: folds
RustyRazR: raises 800 to 1800
RAINMAN10: calls 1600
Orion469: raises 3200 to 5000
RustyRazR: calls 3200
RAINMAN10: calls 3200
*** FLOP *** [5h Jh 9c]
RustyRazR: checks
RAINMAN10: bets 9255 and is all-in
Orion469: calls 9255
RustyRazR: folds
*** TURN *** [5h Jh 9c] [2c]
RustyRazR said, "Qs"
*** RIVER *** [5h Jh 9c 2c] [2d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RAINMAN10: shows [Qs Js] (two pair, Jacks and Deuces)
Orion469: shows [Ks Kd] (two pair, Kings and Deuces)
Orion469 collected 33835 from pot

I had been playing ultra tight during re-buy period and was very impressed with myself after this win.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont listen to chris, he doesnt know how to play kings ;)

W

workingdog

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
double up....very nice good luck in the tourny

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems pretty standard, shinedown. I might raise a little more preflop to isolate vs raindown, who seems to really enjoy pressing the call button.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice job shine.

What do you guys think of pushing instead of the last raise? Do you think that would have scared them off? Or is that too committed preflop, in case an Ace hits in the flop?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice job shine.

What do you guys think of pushing instead of the last raise? Do you think that would have scared them off? Or is that too committed preflop, in case an Ace hits in the flop?

You mean preflop (pushing)? I don't mind it, but I'd rather raise a more inviting amount to see if I could sucker in weaker hands. There's no such thing as being too committed PF with kings. You get all your money in the middle 99.999999% of the time with 'em.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice job shine.

It's a tournament, so the raise was perfect, as you shouldn't want to risk your entire stack on KK. Consider it from this point of view.
You bet, Rusty raises. You push. Can he have the one hand better than yours? Yes, and you're committed.
You bet, Rusty raises. You re-raise, he pushes/re-raises. Can he have AA? yes, so if he's a tight, "standard" player, you may want to fold or flatcall (if he just re-raised).
From the situation as it came out (You re-raise, two callers): you can be fairly certain neither one has AA, and in fact any other pair other than QQ or JJ should have folded already. Without an A hitting the flop, you're almost certainly ahead, so easy call.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tournament, so the raise was perfect, as you shouldn't want to risk your entire stack on KK. Consider it from this point of view.
You bet, Rusty raises. You push. Can he have the one hand better than yours? Yes, and you're committed.
You bet, Rusty raises. You re-raise, he pushes/re-raises. Can he have AA? yes, so if he's a tight, "standard" player, you may want to fold or flatcall (if he just re-raised).
From the situation as it came out (You re-raise, two callers): you can be fairly certain neither one has AA, and in fact any other pair other than QQ or JJ should have folded already. Without an A hitting the flop, you're almost certainly ahead, so easy call.

I see what you mean; giving him room to claim to have AA preflop. Even with his call the difficult situation can still arise if an Ace shows on the flop, which fortunately didn't occur in this case.

Last night's cash game there was a minraise, mini-reraise, I mini-raised the reraise (bad play, but then on a .05/.10 table who knows if it would have made a difference), two callers ahead of me. Flop comes 9,7,4 rainbow. The guy who made the first reraise pushes with about a pot sized stack, I push my KK, the other guy folds. Turn I don't remember, but the river is a ten. He had rerasied from mid position, called my reraise, and pushed on the flop with J8s.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see what you mean; giving him room to claim to have AA preflop. Even with his call the difficult situation can still arise if an Ace shows on the flop, which fortunately didn't occur in this case.

Last night's cash game there was a minraise, mini-reraise, I mini-raised the reraise (bad play, but then on a .05/.10 table who knows if it would have made a difference), two callers ahead of me. Flop comes 9,7,4 rainbow. The guy who made the first reraise pushes with about a pot sized stack, I push my KK, the other guy folds. Turn I don't remember, but the river is a ten. He had rerasied from mid position, called my reraise, and pushed on the flop with J8s.

Lousy play by your opponent (but, as seems all too common, a lucky suckout).

I can only offer one piece of advice to you - never play a poker game where people have less than a $50 interest in the game. thats either 50 on the table (cash games) or 50 for 1st place (tournament). To put it bluntly, a majority of players don't care about money in lower amounts, so you'll see donk plays all day long. At least with more money on the line, the majority of players will play better (although still not very good) poker.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only offer one piece of advice to you - never play a poker game where people have less than a $50 interest in the game. thats either 50 on the table (cash games) or 50 for 1st place (tournament). To put it bluntly, a majority of players don't care about money in lower amounts, so you'll see donk plays all day long. At least with more money on the line, the majority of players will play better (although still not very good) poker.

Thanks zeb, you give me hope for the future. Right now though my bankroll is $50 so I gotta live with what I can afford until I can afford more.