P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 Questions:

$4.50 + .50 Super Turbo SNG. Blinds at 10/20

Its the 2nd hand and I get dealt JJ in the SB.

UTG raises it to 40 and 5 players before me call.

Question 1: Do I raise here to isolate or do I just call?

I opted to just call, knowing the BB will likely call as well. I was hoping to hit a set and maybe take 1 or 2 players down.

The flop is 6d 10 8s.

Question 2: I have an overpair to the board. Do I bet out here in EP or do I check and see what the other players do?

I decided to check to see what the other players do. There is a good chance I could be be beat right now and if a raising war goes on, I dont want to be in the middle of it with JJ. Not yet.

BB checks and UTG pushes all in. Its folded to me.

Question 3: Do you call or fold here?

I have no read on this opponent. He could've been protecting his hand from a potential flush or he could've been betting on a draw. I might have been in the lead or he could've had me crushed. I dont think it was necessary to risk all my chips at this point and folded.

Bonus question: Good fold or bad fold?

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really disagree with the way this hand was played. Even in early position, early in the tournament, i never allow that many people to play the pot with a hand like that. I would have re-raised to 120/140 or so to weed out the 8 10, or even the K 8(or any other over J under J hand). If you had done that preflop you would not have to worry about any other hand except overpair or a set. however, a re raise preflop would have given you a better idea as to what the other people had.
good luck at the tables:smile:
hope i was of some help

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with reraising preflop, disagree with amount. 140 is just a pot-sweetener. With this many callers, the pot's at 270, I like a reraise to about 300.

Unless we've got some unusually large starting chip stack (2K+), I'm not folding to a push, either. Too many factors (turbo, players' tendencies to go nuts in them etc) are leading me to call.

Postflop, this looks like a donk-played big pair here, but it could be a lot of things. Reraise PF to define your's and your opponent's hands.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with the higher raise some of the time, but i also feel that 300 might scare away everyone and you wouldn't get paid off as much as you would like to. Just depends on the hand and the players i guess

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 Questions:

$4.50 + .50 Super Turbo SNG. Blinds at 10/20

Its the 2nd hand and I get dealt JJ in the SB.

UTG raises it to 40 and 5 players before me call.

Question 1: Do I raise here to isolate or do I just call?

I opted to just call, knowing the BB will likely call as well. I was hoping to hit a set and maybe take 1 or 2 players down.

The flop is 6d 10 8s.

Question 2: I have an overpair to the board. Do I bet out here in EP or do I check and see what the other players do?

I decided to check to see what the other players do. There is a good chance I could be be beat right now and if a raising war goes on, I dont want to be in the middle of it with JJ. Not yet.

BB checks and UTG pushes all in. Its folded to me.

Question 3: Do you call or fold here?

I have no read on this opponent. He could've been protecting his hand from a potential flush or he could've been betting on a draw. I might have been in the lead or he could've had me crushed. I dont think it was necessary to risk all my chips at this point and folded.

Bonus question: Good fold or bad fold?

1 - Raise to isolate, pot bet would be sufficient

2 - bet out here, UTG made a weak bet preflop.

3 - It's an ultra-turbo and IMO, villian was holing any 10 with an A,K or Q

Bad fold IMO for the same reason I stated above, it's a turbo.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, first of all I think that super turbos are total crapshoots so I very rarely play them, but as played I call this. Its early in the tournament and you need to build a large chipstack very fast in these. Either you'll go out first and not have any time invested or have a big chiplead and probably make the money.

A

aarogorn_

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bet at triple the pot when the pre-flop betting gets to you would be good even if it chases everyone out. In this situation with that many people in your odds of getting beat are hi so take it down right now.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i guess i am forgetting the fact that it is a 4 dollar tourney... not that there is anything wrong with that, just more and more people call with mediocre hands

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Working backwards through the questions... once you've gotten to the point where UTG has shoved, you're in the pot for what, 2BB? I'd agree with Chuck, UTG's play smacks of a badly 'slowplayed' AA / KK - it's the second hand of the tournament and you're in the pot for pretty much the minimum, there's no need to play for stacks here when you could easily be beat

Acting first on the flop, it might not have been a bad idea to throw out a bet around a third to a half of the pot. If UTG still shoved, then you'd have a better idea of how much trouble you're in

Preflop, I'm not completely against the flat call if you're just throwing in 30 in the hope of hitting a set given the amount that's in the pot, but given that the set didn't hit, it would've made the play on the rest of the hand pretty straightforward for me