JJ in 6-max MTT; stop n go?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is getting very aggressive here (bubble time) and I'm way ahead of his range here. There's no question in my mind that I'm getting all my money in at some point in this hand, but what I'm wondering is how viable a stop n go is here?

Pairs vs overcards is the perfect situation for a stop n go as you're no longer coinflipping, and become a 3:1 favourite on the flop. You also get some FE. While we don't know we're against overcards, it's probably his most likely holding.

Just a thought.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed)

UTG (t21452)
MP (t5855)
CO (t3530)
Button (t5365)
SB (t8584)
Hero (t3159)

Preflop: Hero is BB with
jh.gif
js.gif
UTG raises to t900, 4 folds, Hero ...

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the thing is given description and shorthandedness he's likely raising any pair (do you agree?) and probably calling your all-in with them too. there are 54 combinations of weaker pairs and 48 combinations of 2 overcard hands. doing a stop 'n go that loses a weaker pair when you could get it in now as an 80% favorite would be a much bigger loss than getting it all-in now as a ~57% favorite (which isn't really a loss at all as you can see). also what are you doing if an A flops? still shoving? i'm just pushing preflop

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're first to act after the flop which means that it's either you to push first on a stop and go or give it a check-raise in order to extract more chips from him. I really wouldn't like a check-raise with JJ there because it's asking to be outdrawn and a push gives him a chance to let go of low-mid pairs to overcards.

I think he's calling your preflop push with a large portion of his range and is letting go too often when behind for a stop and go (and of course he's going to move ahead on a lot of flops which contain an overcard and pushing when behind is going to leave a bad taste). If you were last to act post flop then I like it a bit more, but in this case I shove and expect him to call most of the time.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good points, guys. 'twas just a thought, and I'm seeing that pushing is better in several ways.

I pushed and lost to AQs.