JJ first hand of an MTT. Calling a shove?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
EP limps
Hero 3bets to 5.5bb
CO shoves 99bb
Everyone folds around to Hero
Hero ??

I've seen villain make terrible plays before but don't have much history.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
I always treat the first hands of an MTT with great caution. And if it's a freeroll even more so.
In a tutorial, a professional player talks about how to take care of the starting hands.
If it's buyback and good, maybe you'll play it.
But he says that the main objective of any tournament is the final table and to score chips, without a doubt JJ is a hand that can be undone from the start and even more so with a big push from the villain. Although anything is possible in a freeroll, the villain can go all in with 25 hahahahaha
It's my humble opinion
Cheers;););)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No, it is not wise to go all in at the beginning, even if you had aces! Why so much risk? Be patient!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your raise is too big, and I think you should fold here. You are a huge dog to AA, KK, QQ, and you are racing with AK. Stacks are just too deep to get it in with JJ.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, it is not wise to go all in at the beginning, even if you had aces! Why so much risk? Be patient!
Totally disagree if you are folding AA in this scenario you should not be playing poker. Maybe if you are last to act and 8 other players went all in maybe fold but I would never fold AA to heads up or even with 2 all ins in front of me. The only time you should fold AA to a heads up is if you are in a satellite, you are close to the bubble and you have enuf chips to assure you will finish ITM.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello for me JJ is the worst hand so I would never go there or pay an allin of the villain. Not at the beginning of an MTT. or under any circumstances

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you shouldn't play all in with your JJ pair, it's very likely that you can lose this hand with a better connector like AQ, KQ, AK or an Axs. You have to avoid going all in right at the beginning of the tournament, as there is a high probability that our hand will be called and we will lose it

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
folding without much pain, this is not a hand that I'm comfortable with if I fall out of a tournament so early. you can wait for another opportunity, he will probably repeat the same move.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
To me a polarizing situation. Either the villain is a lotto player and just shoved any two or he has an absolute monster and you are crushed.

One would need an insight into the villain to answer that question. Or good understanding of the level of play of the tournament you are in.
Without it, I would fold. Tourney just started, plenty of play left to get into clearer situations.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a freeroll or a low buy in tournament i would probably call however in a big or medium buy in tournament (11 dollars or more) i would probably wait for a stronger hand like kings or aces to make the call in the 1st hand

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically we can discount AA, KK and even QQ quite a bit, because even bad players would usually raiser smaller with those hands to get action. What we will most commonly see here, is a medium pocket pair like 66-JJ or AK. Or once in a while just completely random stuff like AT or KJ, if its a freeroll or someone, who just want to gamble and have fun. So for me I call here with something like 99+ and AK, and if I bust, I just reenter or play another one.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands