SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone else has seen these GG freerolls. They are called welcome freerolls, but are not for new players. This one is only for UK, and you have to deposit $10 for each ticket. Any other nationalities have similar??

Anyway onto the game. I'd done very decent job I think of hanging in in this game. I just wasn't getting the action at vital times, I did have a pretty tight image, so probs this is it. But anyway I worked my way to Top 18/588. Now here is the interesting part. The payout structure was odd ++. We got $10 for 99th, the up it went and by 18th place we have hit $23. Now the next payjump is strangely for FT, 9th pays $30.

Here tho is where it gets interesting. GG is adding 10 tickets to the wsop Online Mystery Bounty game. This is a $210 value ticket. So ICM goes bonkers! But this payjump is still 8 places away and I'm in 15th/16th at the time

The action is on the pic. Summary is I shove in MP for 150K, 9BBs, with ATs, get called by the short stack to my left with 53s, same suit, clubs, and the BB, who has A9s spades, and covers me. So clearly I'm felling good here. Until the flop comes A9. They both end up beating me, I can't hit my T and the short stack makes his runner runner straight.

For me this is my biggest ever potential pay jump, as my biggest win in recent times is $240.....so this is massive for me. Is ATs good enough there? Clearly it is in this actual case. I have a very tight image, plus the BB is also pretty solid, and we had 1 sit out in SB!!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'll let the ICM calculators do their calculating. Personally I think you can wait a bit longer to get a better spot with 9bb at this stage. I know you are 15/16 but how close are you to other players? The position is often deceptive at this point and you have to take a closer look at the player list to figure out what the right play is. If you only need to double to get into top 8, you can definitely afford to wait a bit more.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a short stack you are still jamming a fairly standard range in high ICM spots, so this jam is totally fine and legit. If you fold this hand, you are hit with the blinds soon, and now you will be even shorter with even less fold equity. Even recreational players will thighten up, when a 200$ ticket is in sight, so you cant rely on 6 other people to spew away their stack or run into some cooler, before you are blinded away. You have to find spots to accumulate chips, and this was a perfectly fine spot, which just happened to not work this time.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'll let the ICM calculators do their calculating. Personally I think you can wait a bit longer to get a better spot with 9bb at this stage. I know you are 15/16 but how close are you to other players? The position is often deceptive at this point and you have to take a closer look at the player list to figure out what the right play is. If you only need to double to get into top 8, you can definitely afford to wait a bit more.
Thanks for the reply, I was fairly 50/50 on what I did, or what you suggest.....mostly tough to take the loss!
As a short stack you are still jamming a fairly standard range in high ICM spots, so this jam is totally fine and legit. If you fold this hand, you are hit with the blinds soon, and now you will be even shorter with even less fold equity. Even recreational players will thighten up, when a 200$ ticket is in sight, so you cant rely on 6 other people to spew away their stack or run into some cooler, before you are blinded away. You have to find spots to accumulate chips, and this was a perfectly fine spot, which just happened to not work this time.
Cheers Fundiver, I think this was the tipping point that made me decide to shove. I def didn't think I could fold to the ticket, and I also didn't think I'd be very likely to get a better spot, soon enough to make it count!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheers Fundiver, I think this was the tipping point that made me decide to shove. I def didn't think I could fold to the ticket, and I also didn't think I'd be very likely to get a better spot, soon enough to make it count!
Exactly. You even got called by a hand, you dominated, which was quite lucky, but unfortunately BB binked a suckout. By the way I ran your hand in ICMizer making some assumptions about the regular payouts (200$ for the winner), and BB is actually supposed to call with A9s, if you jam the NASH range. A9s is the bottom of his calling range, so you both played correctly, and it just is, what it is. The only mistake in the hand was made by the short stack, who should rather obviously not call with 53s. But if he had made the correct fold, you would still have gotten knocked out by BB, so it did not matter.