Inside the mind of a bluffer.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a story of when I decided to bluff, (which I rarely do). I'll tell you the story and what was going through my mind (not saying it or showing any facial expression relting to what was going through ym mind).

In a eight player table, part of a weekly tournament, on a rather cold Monday Night, I get ready for my cards. Blinds are 10/20, 1st round of the tournment. I look at my two hole cards, :as4: :kc4: . Great hand and in late position too! I raised it to 140. Only two players call. The flop comes:

:5s4: :7h4: :2s4:

Possible flush draw and two overcards. I have to remain strong. I bet 140 again. One player calls, the other player folds. What could he have? A pair? A straight draw? The turn comes:

:10c4:

So much for the flush. I still have two overcards. I can't back down now. I bet $120, just to see how he will react. He thinks for a minute. I got him, he going to fold! He got middle pair at best!
He calls. What?! What the hell are you chasing?!!! You have two pair? Why would you even call with crap cards. Maybe he has pocket nines? eights? Maybe he's slow playing a set? The river comes:

:jd4:

I can't back down. I have to convince this guy I have a great hand. I bet $140. Oh no! I should have bet more. He is going to figure out I have a marginal hand at best! I'm dead! He thinks for a while. Please fold. Do something! You're killing me with this suspense! Make a decision! If you have trips or even two pair, call and get it over with! Damn it! Do something!
He looks at me, thinking. You bastard! Why are you doing this?!! Do you take pleasure in this?!!! He has me right where he wants me! Come on! Let's see your triumph hand! I bet you can't wait to see my disappointment and embrassment! Call of fold? Do it! Now! Now!
He looks at his hand and the board several times. Isn't there a time limit on making a decision here? The other players don't care. They are too busy watching the football (not soccer) game. Let's go! So time today! Put me away!
He folds. Wow, I did it. Maybe he had a bluffing hand. Maybe he had top pair and thought it wasn't enough. I got to work on my tolerence when I'm bluffing.
Let's see...What hand do I have now? :2h4: :3d4: . I think I'll fold and watch this hand.

Kraigus

Kraigus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you were correct on your last bet. If you had bet more it might have tipped him off that you were just trying to get him to fold, but if he was just calling all the way anyways I think he was chasing something. It could have gone either way. Some players just don't know when to back down and don't respect any bets or raises.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What the hell could he be chasing?

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe he wasn't chasing as much as he was reacting to your bets. You bet $120/$140 all 3 times. I wasn't there, but is this typically the way you bet with a good hand or do your bets get more as the pot grows. Like I said I wasn't there but maybe this is a tell of yours.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have to agree with AI here. With your bets staying the same throughout the hand, and not reflecting the size of the pot, I would have put you on a hand like AK that you hadn't hit anything yet. Maybe he had Ax, and your final bet on the river encouraged him to lay down.