Im in a tourney and...

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand troubled me......I had A8 suited in the BB and the button makes a raise what looks like a steal to me...

i am going to post results too because all I want to know is if I played the hand wrong and how you guys might have played it differently

Thanks

full tilt poker Game #3627572160: $10 + $1 Tournament (27606197), Table 22 - 50/100 - No Limit Hold'em - 3:53:58 ET - 2007/09/21
Seat 1: Coldham (6,140)
Seat 2: Mr Sikari (3,030)
Seat 3: 10teneight8 (1,450)
Seat 4: DrOrr (8,915)
Seat 5: Eiland99 (1,205)
Seat 7: willthegreat24 (3,760)
Seat 8: theman131 (4,574)
Seat 9: aussies rule (4,543)
Eiland99 posts the small blind of 50
willthegreat24 posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to willthegreat24 [8c Ac]
theman131 folds
aussies rule folds
Coldham has 15 seconds left to act
Coldham is sitting out
Coldham has timed out
Coldham folds
Mr Sikari folds
10teneight8 folds
DrOrr raises to 350
Eiland99 folds
willthegreat24 calls 250
*** FLOP *** [Ah 6d 3s]
willthegreat24 checks
Coldham has returned
DrOrr checks
*** TURN *** [Ah 6d 3s] [Jd]
willthegreat24 bets 350
DrOrr calls 350
*** RIVER *** [Ah 6d 3s Jd] [5h]
willthegreat24 has 15 seconds left to act
willthegreat24 bets 400
DrOrr calls 400
*** SHOW DOWN ***
willthegreat24 shows [8c Ac] a pair of Aces
DrOrr shows [Ad Kh] a pair of Aces
DrOrr wins the pot (2,250) with a pair of Aces

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you thought he was stealing why not bet the flop and find out where you are in the hand?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you bet the turn and he called, why bet the river? Do you feel like you were played like a violin?

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop. Steal, and be stolen from-- just do the former more often than the latter happens to you.

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i play it exactly the same- folding preflop with this hand to a button raise at this level is far to weak/tight. Checking the flop is fine, betting out doesn't really give you much information- lots of hands which are behind, will still call, ie KK, QQ, JJ and 1010 alll probably call, actually any PP, and also lots of hands which have you beat just call as well- Ax- where x=>8 or 3/6, 33 or 66, call on this dry board, a raise could be a bluff, reading you leading out as a bluff, and you could get knocked off the best hand.
So although checking won't give you much more information, it does allow a little pot control, we really don't want to bloat the pot with a mediocre holding, it also gives us a chance, if villian checks behind, to improve to 2 pair, which would then be beating a lot more of villians potential holdings.
On the turn, after villian has checked behind, we still don't know if we are ahead, but the J is not a bad card for us, as the only potential holding which wasn't beating us before that is now is JJ (or J3/6- unlikely- i think these hands bet when checked to on flop- if the villian is aggressive enough to steal with these holdings pf- they will bet with them when checked to), a card lower than an 8 would have been worse for us. So now, since he has passed on the opportunity to bet, we might as well assume that we are ahead, and get some value from hands which will call down- (Jx, PP), if reraised then i think we can put villian on a slowplayed set- or bigger A and fold.
River since villian just called turn, we still don't have much information about his potential holding, although it still includes a number of hands which have us beat, but also a lot of holdings which will call a smallish river bet which we have beat- also the river bet may prevent a weak villian from raising with a hand such as A10,Q, K, if they put us on AJ, which they will certainly bet with if checked to, so think it is best to take control of the bet size and bet out, if reraised- then lay it down- i don't think many worse hands bluff here.
shandy

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you thought he was stealing why not bet the flop and find out where you are in the hand?

I have never really understood this concept- how does betting into someone let you know where you are, hands which have crushed just call- hoping you keep donking into them, hands which you have crushed either fold- or reraise bluff you off your hand- and usually i think it is the later- usually if some one donks into me after i have raised pf- i read them for weak- and reraise ATC- is surprising how often they fold- i would say +80%, very few donk into the pf raiser with a hand they are willing to go to showdown with for their stack.
Now you may ask why someone won't bet into the pf raiser if they have a great hand, well usually they will assume the pf raiser will fire out a continuation bet, so a check raise will get more chips.
I think donking into someone with a great hand is actually a very good move, as most will read it as i do, and call or raise with air or mediocre holdings- but doing it with mediocre holdings which do have showdown value is just wrong.