Did I really play this that bad?

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt Poker Game #2912017422: $20 + $2 Sit & Go (22218608), Table 5 - 80/160 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:24:34 ET - 2007/07/11
Seat 1: car2roll (1,898)
Seat 2: Gazoo0078 (3,225)
Seat 3: SPLASHDAPOT (5,560)
Seat 4: ItsAze (1,610)
Seat 5: 007tx (6,414)
Seat 6: mrvain (2,068)
Seat 7: midnightwalker (3,360)
Seat 9: scrubbo56 (1,630)
ItsAze posts the small blind of 80
007tx posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ItsAze [6s 9d]
mrvain folds
midnightwalker folds
scrubbo56 calls 160
car2roll folds
Gazoo0078 folds
SPLASHDAPOT calls 160
ItsAze calls 80
007tx checks
*** FLOP *** [Td Qd Jd]
ItsAze has 15 seconds left to act
ItsAze bets 480
007tx folds
scrubbo56 folds
SPLASHDAPOT raises to 2,080
ItsAze calls 970, and is all in
SPLASHDAPOT shows [Qh Tc]
ItsAze shows [6s 9d]
Uncalled bet of 630 returned to SPLASHDAPOT
*** TURN *** [Td Qd Jd] [7h]
*** RIVER *** [Td Qd Jd 7h] [Kc]
SPLASHDAPOT shows two pair, Queens and Tens
ItsAze shows a straight, King high
ItsAze wins the pot (3,540) with a straight, King high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,540 | Rake 0
Board: [Td Qd Jd 7h Kc]
Seat 1: car2roll didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Gazoo0078 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: SPLASHDAPOT (button) showed [Qh Tc] and lost with two pair, Queens and Tens
Seat 4: ItsAze (small blind) showed [6s 9d] and won (3,540) with a straight, King high
Seat 5: 007tx (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: mrvain didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: midnightwalker didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: scrubbo56 folded on the Flop
I think my big (and probably only) mistake was not just pushing all-in on the flop, even though it would've gotten the same result. I have no reason for being willing to go all in, but not push, when all I'm really doing is giving odds for someone else to catch -- if the guy held a mid pair or a draw he probably would've folded...

I won the hand, I got good odds to call the extra 80 (right), and I think I am justified in calling the all-in here, am I right? Open ended straight, flush draw, and open ended straight flush...

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you bet that amount, it's of course perfectly fine to call the all-in with the odds you're getting. The only hands really bad for you are those containing the Kd or Ad. But with your stack, I'd have shoved right off the bat, as you said, to maximize fold equity. You could also go for a check-raise all-in if you were sure enough someone would make a bet on this flop

It's an interesting spot.. I think with your short stack and the size of the pot on the flop, you're justified in trying to get the money in because the majority of the time none of your opponents will have the Kd or Ad. It's just a kind of crummy situation because on a flop like that, you rarely have much fold equity (but I'd still try to make the move that would maximize it)

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the advice.

The guy called me all sorts of names after that one, he even said "I can't believe you called me without a diamond!" -- which kind of nulls his whole argument.

Combuboom - what part of Florida are you from? I'm from Broward (South-East). I'm a bit new to the whole poker world and I'd like to make some connections. Give me a shout sometime, my AIM is "siqazfuq" I'd really appreciate some chat with a good poker player.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha, yeah, the guy's just a doofus. Given the hand he had, you were about a coinflip to win, but I guess if he didn't see you had a diamond that's why he thought it was so bad.

And I'm from Citrus County (west-central), here for the summer now, but attending University of South Florida in Tampa in the fall. I'll add you on AIM and drop a message some time when I'm on. My screenname is iamnotarobotBEEP