Did I play this right but just come up short?

newfyninja

newfyninja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is from a live MTT that I play in once a week. We start with $16 000 and the blinds begin at 100/200 and increase by hundreds until 1000/2000 when they go by 500's every 10 minutes.

The blinds for this hand are 600/1200 and I have about 14 000 in chips at a 7 player table. I'm in the cutoff. Sorry I don't have teh other stack sizes but in this situation I don't think it matters much.

All players have limped to me and I have A8 hearts so I limp too....almost always do with suited A. the dealer and SB limp as well and the BB raises 2000. The three players in front of me call making the pot size 16 400 when it gets to me. I figure my hand is not the best but the odds of 8 to 1 justify a call. The dealer also calls and the SB folds. (Pot size now is at 20 400)

The flop comes 5h 7h 2s. The BB pushes all in (10 400), UTG folds, there is a call and a fold and then it is to me. (Pot size 37 200) With the nut flush draw I know I have to hit and I think about it for a a while then call. The dealer calls as well.

The turn is Jc and the river Jd. No bets are made on either the turn or river. The BB turns over KQh, the other caller turns over 85os and the dealer 86 os. The 85os won the massive pot. I was left with 2100 chips. Granted I did make a huge comeback and finish 2nd overall but still was that a legit play or did I get my odds all screwed up and gamble for basically all of my stack too early. :confused:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
firstly, opponents stack sizes always matter in all circumstances.

secondly, i don't mind the initial limp with the odds, but you said you always do with a suited ace, very very bad idea, recipe for disaster limping with a,2 suited for example. After its raised however, i ditch my hand, even with the great odds, we need to hit 2 pair or better on the flop and i dont think that happens enough for hte call to be justified. Especially for so much of our stack just to see a flop. So id fold, although i can see why you would call.

Flop is standard i think

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From your example hand this sounds like a great game to be in. Where do you live?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you've just described pretty much every pub game I've ever dealt :p

This has to be either a pub / bar game or a home game, right?

Sometimes going with the crowd and limping into a big multi-way pot like this will work for you, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. In the long run you'll be bleeding chips from all the times you either miss completely or are compelled by the artificially-inflated pot odds to call down to the end with a second best hand (pairing your ace, for example). When the blinds reach this size it only exacerbates the problem.

I tend to agree with Switch, once this has been raised (especially by an out of position player, who has to be expecting at least a couple of callers in a family pot like this) it's time to get out of the way.

And yes, stack sizes are actually fairly important. As are any reads you might have.

Lastly, you'll get better analysis if you don't post results - though I don't think it'd change anything in this case.

newfyninja

newfyninja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback and yeah it's a bar game, the only thing that passes for some live poker in my neck of the woods. 30 or so people most of whom play a very loose aggressive style. It's too easy to get caught in hands I probably shouldn't be in simply because if the cards hit people are too dumb to fold.